• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Secondary Outlook

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

BullyPulpit was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 15 points.

Taking a look at the secondary and we should see a lot of new faces this season. There is hope for drastic and immediate improvement. At CB we have Daquan Evans returning and have added 4-star transfer Christian Williams from Miami. At strong safety we have added Rutgers transfer TJ Robinson. He had to sit out last season due to transfer rules, but all reports were that he was impressive in practice. At free safety we have Kansas State transfer Will Jones, II. In the two deep we also have Auburn transfer Matthew Hill, who converted from WR to Safety in the preseason last year and still managed to see action in 3 games for the Tigers. The wildcard is true freshman Jalen Stokes. Would be great to see him develop and be part of this core. At the Star/Nickle position is sophomore Christopher Townsel who started as a true freshman last year and got better as the year progressed. The best part is that only 2 guys projected to be in the two-deep are seniors, so this group will get to jell and work together the next 2 to 3 seasons. 

I think the improvement in the secondary is going to help improve the defensive line as well. Better coverage will hopefully lead to more coverage sacks. USF was 125th in the nation in sacks per game last season, 120th on 3rd down defense and 119th on 4th down defense. If we can just get those numbers to mediocre (60 to 70 range) we should win a few more games. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

Yea the secondary has some nice P5 talent...Townsel had a sick int vs Cincy in the endzone last year. 

My biggest concern is still the line...doesnt matter how well we cover if you cant get decent pressure someone will eventually get open.

Just need avg defensive line play and we should be greatly improved on defense.  

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

The daily stampede did a podcast yesterday with Chris Torrello from spectrum and he had talked to Glenn Spencer and had some interesting notes:

-Spencer said it doesn't matter if the defense gets 100 interceptions if they can't stop the run. Stopping the run has to be the priority.

-Playcalling on defense last year was very vanilla due to no spring, installing playbook over zoom, and guys randomly being unavailable due to covid proticols. Because of this they didn't really know what they had and he couldn't run the defense he usually does. Glenn Spencer normally has exotic schemes, coverages, and blitz packages. He also mentioned there's guys who played last year that won't even see the two deep depth chart this year. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  538
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, bulloni said:

The daily stampede did a podcast yesterday with Chris Torrello

Could've summarized this by referencing the 'the circus did a Podcast...' I'll keep it at that cause I had about 15 other things typed up but don't feel like getting in trouble 😁. Those guys are just a total waste of breath. 

7 minutes ago, bulloni said:

-Spencer said it doesn't matter if the defense gets 100 interceptions if they can't stop the run. Stopping the run has to be the priority.

-Playcalling on defense last year was very vanilla due to no spring, installing playbook over zoom, and guys randomly being unavailable due to covid proticols. Because of this they didn't really know what they had and he couldn't run the defense he usually does. Glenn Spencer normally has exotic schemes, coverages, and blitz packages. He also mentioned there's guys who played last year that won't even see the two deep depth chart this year. 

I think a lot of this is expected and a typical talking point for most teams in our situation/had poor years last year. The thing that interests me the most is that some guys that played aren't on the two deep anymore. That's exclusive to our team and should be a good sign. 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, MSBulls said:

Could've summarized this by referencing the 'the circus did a Podcast...' I'll keep it at that cause I had about 15 other things typed up but don't feel like getting in trouble 😁. Those guys are just a total waste of breath. 

I think a lot of this is expected and a typical talking point for most teams in our situation/had poor years last year. The thing that interests me the most is that some guys that played aren't on the two deep anymore. That's exclusive to our team and should be a good sign. 

Yet it is interesting how no one else has even stepped up to create a decent podcast. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,325
  • Days Won:  5

Bully pulpit and bulloni  good takes thanks for some substance.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Secondary is the most improved unit on the team

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  11,947
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Secondary is the most improved unit on the team