• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Scott makes another list

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Wasn't there a deal going on in which we were charging puc per word or something?

I have deescalation clauses for likes, days won, and engagement and I opened a new business card that has the right sub and bonus structure for paying online posting taxes that should help ease the burden. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

If you have been successful before you are more likely to be successful again and if you come from a coaching tree that demonstrated past success you are more likely to be successful.

Like Skip ......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Wasn't there a deal going on in which we were charging puc per word or something?

It's still in Committee ......

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I pay him by the syllable. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Like Skip ......

No the exact opposite. When you fire a guy because you think he is plateauing your program most people would not look for the path to success being the guy that couldn’t beat him. If anything CCS would have been a better argument. 

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

No the exact opposite. When you fire a guy because you think he is plateauing your program most people would not look for the path to success being the guy that couldn’t beat him. If anything CCS would have been a better argument. 

Calling CCS a better argument for a sure fire option than Skip is just more of you being you, arguing just for the sake of arguing. Charlie had just come off a losing stint at UT. Skip was doing CJL like things in winning ooc games against teams at a higher level but was also able win conference championships. The fact that you use that his one loss to CJL in an exhibition game should be some sort of disqualifier for him taking over here is a ******* joke, even for you.

There's not really such a thing as a sure fire option, especially when it comes to USF Athletics, so ******* on the CJS hire from that standpoint is ridiculous. Have a good day, sir.

Just now, Triple B said:

Calling CCS a better argument for a sure fire option than Skip is just more of you being you, arguing just for the sake of arguing. Charlie had just come off a losing stint at UT. Skip was doing CJL like things in winning ooc games against teams at a higher level but was also able win conference championships. The fact that you use that his one loss to CJL in an exhibition game should be some sort of disqualifier for him taking over here is a ******* joke, even for you.

There's not really such a thing as a sure fire option, especially when it comes to USF Athletics, so ******* on the CJS hire from that standpoint is ridiculous. Have a good day, sir.

No it’s not, what I said makes you more likely to win in the future CCS had demonstrated at a far greater level than the kid of the guy that gave the bumble bee speech. There has never once been a person excited about CSH there is nothing exciting about him and that was the reason he was hired.  I didn’t disqualify him for losing a game against CJL, I disqualified him for having a face that looks like this which is why he lost to CJL (you are putting the cart before the horse). Have a good day, if you want to.holtz.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, puc86 said:

If you have been successful before you are more likely to be successful again and if you come from a coaching tree that demonstrated past success you are more likely to be successful.

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

No it’s not, what I said makes you more likely to win in the future CCS had demonstrated at a far greater level than the kid of the guy that gave the bumble bee speech. There has never once been a person excited about CSH there is nothing exciting about him and that was the reason he was hired.  I didn’t disqualify him for losing a game against CJL, I disqualified him for having a face that looks like this which is why he lost to CJL (you are putting the cart before the horse). Have a good day, if you want to.

IMG_0748.gif

Props for the Willie call back, though .....

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This whole thread is ********. I came wandering through because I thought it was going to be his grocery list or something based on the title.

Edited by JTrue

27 minutes ago, Triple B said:

IMG_0748.gif

Props for the Willie call back, though .....

Coaching career[edit]

Early positions[edit]

100px-Bobby_Bowden.jpg

Skip coached under Bobby Bowden for two years.

Due to Skip's lack of success on the field and his desire to remain associated with football, he began to investigate the possibility of becoming a coach. After Skip told Lou he wanted to start coaching, Lou put together a list of potential coaches who would give him the best training. The list included Tom Osborne, Joe Paterno, and Terry Donahue, but upon hearing of Skip's interest, Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden said, "if you can be here in two days, I've got a job for you at Florida State."[7]

Upon arriving at Florida State in 1987, he became the graduate assistant coach.[1] He met his future wife, Jennifer, in Coach Bowden's office while in Tallahassee.[8] He left after two years to become the wide receivers coach at Colorado State University under coach Earle Bruce.[3] After one season, he went back to Notre Dame to coach under his father.[3]

Notre Dame[edit]

Holtz's first job at his alma mater was to serve as wide receivers coach, and he filled the position for two years. In 1992, the team began a search for a new offensive coordinator. Lou's first choice, Joe Moore, declined. Lou then asked Skip for recommendations to fill the position. Skip initially said he wanted the position but said of Lou, "he couldn't do it at that time with me [Skip] being his son."[6] Skip then mentioned Mark Richt, who was then the offensive coordinator at Florida State. Lou Holtz called Coach Bowden to ask permission to speak to Mark Richt. Coach Bowden said Holtz could hire Richt as long as he could hire Skip. Coach Holtz said, "Well, if I'm just going to switch coaches, I might as well hire Skip."[6] Skip became Notre Dame's offensive coordinator in 1992. Between 1992 and 1994, Skip and his father recorded 40 wins, eight losses, and one tie, an 82.7% winning percentage. Together, they coached Notre Dame to the Cotton Bowl Classic twice, beating Texas A&M both times. Skip had the third-best total offense in the NCAA during the 1992 football season.[6]

Connecticut[edit]

Following his success at Notre Dame, Skip Holtz was asked to become the head coach of the Connecticut Huskies. He accepted the offer and took his first head coaching job on December 23, 1993. He replaced Tom Jackson, who had gone 14–19 over the past three years and had decided to resign on November 17, 1993.[9][10] He agreed to a four-year contract at a salary of $95,000 a year. Even though Skip came from a "major football institution" (Notre Dame), University of Connecticut President Dr. Harry J. Hartley said that the hire "should not be seen as a signal that Connecticut intends to upgrade its program."[1] Despite Hartley's remarks, Holtz planned to help elevate the team from I-AA to I-A. Holtz commented on Hartley's remarks by saying "I'd love to have the opportunity to coach a Division I team here...."[11] In 1998, UConn, after 100 years of football and five years with Skip Holtz as its head coach, played in its first Division I-AA playoff game. The Huskies scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns to beat Hampton University, 42–34.[12] In the next round of the playoffs, the Huskies lost to the eventual runner-up, Georgia Southern, on December 5. Two days later, Skip resigned as head coach of the Huskies in order to rejoin his father, who had taken the head coaching job at South Carolina the day before the Huskies' loss. As the leader of the Huskies football team, he accumulated a winning percentage of .596 (34–23) over five seasons.

South Carolina[edit]

100px-Lou_Holtz_cropped.jpg

Skip Holtz's father, Lou

On December 4, 1998, The University of South Carolina announced that Lou Holtz would serve as its next head football coach. Lou asked Skip if he would move down to Columbia to become his offensive coordinator—the same position Skip held during his final two years at Notre Dame. Skip accepted the offer, in part due to a desire to live closer to his parents and so his children could spend more time with their grandparents.[7] In 1996, Skip's mother, Beth, was diagnosed with throat cancer. Two years later, the cancer spread to her liver, lung, adrenal glands, and ovary. Meanwhile, Skip and Lou continued to coach football at South Carolina. As Lou began to struggle as head coach, the question of his eventual successor arose. When Skip was hired in 1998, Lou had included a clause in the hiring contract that Skip would succeed him after he retired. South Carolina Athletic Director Mike McGee rebutted by saying, "There are no formal or informal guarantees at him," and "It's always helpful to have potential succession in a staff."[13]

The 2000 and 2001 seasons brought South Carolina back to national prominence with consecutive Outback Bowl wins over Ohio State and season ending rankings in the Top 25. However, after going 5–7 the following two seasons and suffering a season-ending blowout in 2003 by intrastate rival Clemson, Skip was demoted from the offensive coordinator and assistant head coaching positions to quarterbacks coach. Four assistant coaches—including the team's defensive coordinator—were fired in the same shakeup that saw Skip demoted.[14] On November 22, 2004, one season after Skip's demotion, Lou Holtz announced he was retiring as head coach of South Carolina.[15] The next day, South Carolina announced Steve Spurrier as the next head football coach.[16] Coach Spurrier announced that he was keeping only three members of Lou Holtz's staff. Letters were sent to all the other staffers—including Skip Holtz—informing them that they likely would not be retained.[17]

East Carolina[edit]

170px-Skip_Holtz_in_2007.jpg

Holtz at ECU in 2007.

With his firing imminent, Holtz resigned. Because he was formerly a head coach, Skip had several offers from Division I-A and Division I-AA teams. After several interviews, he elected to take the head coaching position at East Carolina University. East Carolina announced Skip Holtz as their 19th head football coach on December 3, 2004. Holtz assumed control of a program that won just three games in its past 25 contests.[18] Skip signed 23 athletes in his first recruiting class, including his first commit, Rob Kass. Also included in the recruiting class was future NFL player Aundrae Allison.[19] Skip's first victory at ECU came in the first game of the 2005 season as the Pirates defeated the Duke Blue Devils 24–21 at Dowdy–Ficklen Stadium. The victory was ECU's first non-conference Division I win since 2000, when the Pirates won the Galleryfurniture.com Bowl against Texas Tech.[20] During Holtz's first season, the Pirates also defeated conference foes Rice, Southern Methodist University, Marshall University, and the University of Alabama Birmingham.

In 2006, Holtz's second season as head coach, ECU won seven games, including victories over intrastate rival North Carolina State University, Conference USA East rival Southern Miss, and ACC foe Virginia. As a reward for their season, the Pirates earned their first bowl game under Holtz's tenure, playing the Bulls of the University of South Florida in the Papajohns.com Bowl, losing 24–7.[21] Despite the bowl loss, the 2006 season was ECU's first winning season since 2000, and the Papajohns.com Bowl was the Pirates' first bowl game since 2001.[22]

In 2007, Holtz's team won eight games, including wins over intrastate rival North Carolina and going 3–2, versus Conference USA East opponents. Finishing second in the East Division, Holtz’s team was invited to the Hawai'i Bowl to play #24 Boise State University.[23][24] East Carolina won the bowl game 41–38. This was the first bowl victory since the 2000 Galleryfurniture.com Bowl versus Texas Tech. It was also the first back-to-back winning season and bowl berth since the 1999 and 2000 seasons.

The 2008 season was opened with two upsets over ranked opponents; 17th ranked Virginia Tech in week one and 8th ranked West Virginia. This was the first time a Conference USA team beat three ranked teams in a row. Skip finished up the season 9–5, which included a C-USA East Division title and C-USA Champions title. This was the first time the Pirates played in the C-USA Championship Game. It also was the first conference title since 1976. The Pirates played in the Liberty Bowl, losing to Kentucky, 25–19. This was the third Liberty Bowl appearance. The last time the Pirates went to three straight bowl games was the 1999, 2000 and 2001 seasons. In 2009 Skip Holtz led the ECU Pirates to a second CUSA championship.

Coaching career[edit]

Early positions[edit]

Strong's first full-time coaching job was at Southern Illinois in 1986, where he coached wide receivers. He later assumed defensive coaching duties at Florida, Ole Miss, and Notre Dame.

South Carolina[edit]

In 1999, Strong joined the South Carolina Gamecocks as defensive coordinator. His stifling defenses and charismatic personality created buzz that he would be possibly the first black head coach in the SEC, but job offers were slim. Sylvester Croom eventually broke the color barrier in the SEC coaching ranks in 2004.[4]

Florida[edit]

Strong was hired as defensive coordinator for the Florida Gators before the 2003 season. Florida head coach Ron Zook was fired midway through the Gators' 2004 season, but continued to coach until the bowl game; Strong served as interim coach of the Gators for one game, the December 2004 Peach Bowl. Florida lost the game, 27–10, to Miami. When Urban Meyer was hired as Florida's head coach, Strong was the only assistant coach retained from Zook's staff.

In a January 2009 interview with the Orlando Sentinel, Strong expressed his belief that race played a large part in the reason that he hadn't been offered a head coaching job in 2009. Strong, whose wife is white, especially cited prospective employers' discomfort with his interracial marriage.[5] Strong was a 2009 finalist for the Broyles Award, given annually to the nation's top assistant coach.

Louisville[edit]

He became the 21st head football coach at the University of Louisville on December 9, 2009.[6] In a telephone interview that day with ESPN.com columnist Pat Forde, former Indianapolis Colts head coach Tony Dungy said of Strong, "When they see what he can do, you're probably going to have a lot of people disappointed they didn't hire him sooner."

Strong led Louisville to a victory in the 2013 Sugar Bowl over his former team, the Florida Gators, by a final score of 33–23.[7] It was the biggest upset victory in terms of point spread in any BCS bowl game since the inception of the BCS in 1998, as Florida entered the game favored by almost two touchdowns.

On January 23, 2013, Strong was given a $1.4 million raise which brought his annual compensation to $3.7 million and raised his buyout to $5 million.[8] At the time it made him 7th highest paid active coach in college football and highest paid coach outside the SEC, Big 12, and Big Ten conferences.[9]