• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

a far fetched thought...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  138

Let's say miracles of miracles occur (and it's really not that difficult to believe they an pull this off this year) and the Flubs finally win a world series.

Do they actually lose that luvable loser luster they have abused their silly fans with for so many years?

Many people bring up the Red Sox as the ultimate team to feel sorry for but the Cubs last won a World Series in 1908. The White Sox last won in 1917. I believe the Red Sox last one was in 1918 (or is it 1915?-- I forget).

But the bottom line for me is that no one has really given the White Sox much love for being the hapless team that never wins the golden prize when they have endured nearly as long a wait as these other two teams.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I say yes... they would lose the lovable loser tag.  Both the cubbies and red sox have this desperation to win that keeps their fans interested.  I really have no idea what would happen if they won, either team.  Would the fans even come back?  How many old people would die that were holding on, waiting for their team to win a world series?  

What if the Cubs and the Sox were in the series together?

One would guaranteed to win, but what would happen to the loser?  Their popularity might soar, because they are the most cursed team ever, OR the fans might get so frustrated by losing to the other cursed team that it could be disasterous.

I would like to see cubs/sox final!  Screw the yankees.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting question, but as hypotheticals go, this one is up there with "what if USF had made the NCAA tournament under Seth Greenberg?"

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

except that the greenburg thing is wondering about the past, where MikeG's question was wondering about what may happen.  I think the cubs and sox (after NYY lost game 1) have just as much chance as any team of making the WS, so its not as far fetched an idea as originally thought.  Cubs could win, but i'm voting for the sox to beat the cubs in 7.  (home field is AL this year right, thanks to the All-star game?)  

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,464
  • Days Won:  0

The sox have lost game 7 in World Series 4 times since they won it all. Every loss has some craziness to it. Sox fans have suffered more since we have been so close we can taste it only to have the rug ripped out from under our feet right at the end. Cubs always suck so no one figures they can win it all by middle of July usually.