• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

25 seasons of USF Football - Your first game

Guest Jonesy Bull

There for the very first game vs. Kentucky Wesleyan.  I was familiar with that school too.  Had spent a couple of Summers a few years earlier with my Aunt in Owensboro, KY.  My Brother, a couple friends, and even my Parents attended that very first game at the Old Sombrero.  It was a surreal moment being at USF in the late 80's and no football.  It was a day that I never thought would actually happen.  One of those iconic sports memories that is with you for life.

Edited by Jonesy Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

16 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Halloween around 2003. LS Jr intercepted a pass in OT to clinch the win. Pretty sure it was vs Cinci.  

We were at the first game.

Here's another 2003 first, my first away game, USF's first game in Birmingham, and Alabama's last game in Birmingham.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

Was at the first one as well, went with wife and my parents.  We did not have tickets and bought them from someone outside the stadium.  They had the endzones roped off however they finally gave up and took the rope down as the crowd spilled over into those empty seats.  The bleacher seats used to be 18” per ass however asses expanded over the years and it just was not sufficient for most and even if it was somebody else’s ass intruded on your own space.  Many arguments in the old Sombrero started because we were packed in like rats on the few games that were at capacity.  We only had one year at the old stadium, I remember smoking a cigar at my seat (probably is a felony now) during the loss to GA Southern, went for 2 and failed.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,197
  • Days Won:  2

Pretty sure my first game was vs Houston in 2001...homecoming game...a student then. 

Grothe era really got me hooked. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

My first was Kentucky Wesleyan. It felt incredible to be a part of something new. These 25 years have been an experience, with lots of peaks and dips.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

My son was born on Friday 9/5/97 at St Joe’s women’s hospital and first game attended was KW on 9/6/97.  Momma and baby were doing fine so I walked from hospital to the big sombrero to take in USF football history.  I’ve been addicted ever since.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

We were at the first game.

Here's another 2003 first, my first away game, USF's first game in Birmingham, and Alabama's last game in Birmingham.

First game was inaugural one also and that too was my first away game ....... thanks for the highlights, fun and painful to watch.

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Days Won:  55

13 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Oct 28, 2000: USF vs Uconn in Storrs, Connecticut. Took my son who was 5 at the time. He got to meet LRS before the game at the pregame party at some bar not far from the Uconn campus. It was so cool seeing USF fans so far away (about 250 USF fans). Their on campus stadium were bleachers on one side and sat about 18k). The wind that day was brutal (40 MPH gusts). Gramatica attempted a 30 yard FG that the wind just slammed down 5 yards short of the goal post. USF had the lead 21 to 13 with a few seconds left. Uconn had the ball at the USF 20 yard line but the Bulls defense knocked the ball down in the end zone to preserve the win. As the players left the field my son and I stood in front of the exit out of the stadium. The players slapped our hand on the way out and Kwika Mitchell gave my son his wrist band which he still has today. Technically this was USF’s first D1a win as Uconn was a “provisional” status D1a team that year. The game is actually on YouTube I believe. 

I was there for that one, in the comfort of the press box.   🙂 There was no locker room, so the Bulls used the hoops arena to gear up.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,324
  • Content Count:  21,234
  • Days Won:  10

Too many great memories.  Probably the win at FSU or the win home vs. WVU.  

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Rizman said:

Too many great memories.  Probably the win at FSU or the win home vs. WVU.  

I was at the game and it was amazing!  Almost as enjoyable was Bowden’s press conference afterwards.

They beat the heck out of us…