• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

25 seasons of USF Football - Your first game

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

25smuse.png

Let's hear it!

Mine:  Bulls vs. Kentucky Wesleyan September 6, 1997

We've told some of these stories before, but what an experience this was.  49,212 in the house (without looking) and on their feet.  It was surreal at first to see a USF Football team.  And then we stampeded.  I still remember leaving the stadium and feeling the excitement in my blood.  I went with my soon to be wife, her parents and at least three others I worked with that were Auburn fans ( 😁 ) but were curious about the new local team - the Bulls.  After that win, I would end up going to every game in that first season including all road games (from memory, The Citadel, WKU, Elon and Cumberland - as seen on the first 10 seasons video).   Exciting times, no doubt.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,614
  • Days Won:  108

Halloween around 2003. LS Jr intercepted a pass in OT to clinch the win. Pretty sure it was vs Cinci.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,794
  • Days Won:  22

Drove up from Miami to the First game vs Kentucky Wesleyan couldn’t believe we actually had finally a football team. My friends from Miami couldn’t believe the crowd at the Old Sombrero.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,715
  • Days Won:  0

The OG game 1997. What a great feeling it was! 🤘 Mrs. GatRat Bull and I are moving back to Tampa in a few weeks after our 17+ year stint in Maryland, so I am REALLY looking forward to being able to attend every home game again. 🌴😎

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,924
  • Days Won:  0

Game #1. I was there with my 3 young sons. I am now a grandfather of 7. Wow time flys

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,346
  • Days Won:  8

I am not really sure - I am not a USF Grad, so I only had cursory interest until the 2004 season

I definitely saw Marquel play live, so my guess is my first attended game was the 2001 season

The first definitive game I remember being at was TCU in 2003 - after the 2 OT win against Louisville the week before and the 4th qtr touchdown, it seemed like USF was going to score its first big win, didn’t happen unfortunately 

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Days Won:  55

Game one! I was also at all three scrimmages the year before - on campus at soccer stadium, at Sarasota High School and Clearwater, if memory serves.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  682
  • Content Count:  7,594
  • Days Won:  6

9/6/97.  Had a pre-game party at my house (because we didn't know how to tailgate) with about 20 people, many alums from 79-80 classes.  Only half of us had tickets and by the time we got to the game, those without tickets were shut out and couldn't get in.  They were told the crowd was capped at 50,000 because they weren't going to use the end zones.  As we all remember, the crowd ended up spilling into one end zone even though the bleachers weren't sold.  Good times!

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  2,019
  • Days Won:  2

Had to look it up:  Florida A&M, 2005.  Sophomore transfer from USM.  Was in the HOT band.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Oct 28, 2000: USF vs Uconn in Storrs, Connecticut. Took my son who was 5 at the time. He got to meet LRS before the game at the pregame party at some bar not far from the Uconn campus. It was so cool seeing USF fans so far away (about 250 USF fans). Their on campus stadium were bleachers on one side and sat about 18k). The wind that day was brutal (40 MPH gusts). Gramatica attempted a 30 yard FG that the wind just slammed down 5 yards short of the goal post. USF had the lead 21 to 13 with a few seconds left. Uconn had the ball at the USF 20 yard line but the Bulls defense knocked the ball down in the end zone to preserve the win. As the players left the field my son and I stood in front of the exit out of the stadium. The players slapped our hand on the way out and Kwika Mitchell gave my son his wrist band which he still has today. Technically this was USF’s first D1a win as Uconn was a “provisional” status D1a team that year. The game is actually on YouTube I believe. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1