• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael Kelly speaking some truth

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If he was just the innocent victim, with his record of program building, why has he never had another head coaching job - at any level? I’ll tell you why. Because the guy has a screw loose. He did an incredible job and deserves all the credit in the world, but . . . I’m guessing word has gotten around that he’s pretty tough to work with and if you’re an AD, you’ll pass.

You would think universities would be more inclusive and stop being such ableists, do better 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,703
  • Days Won:  6

3 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If he was just the innocent victim, with his record of program building, why has he never had another head coaching job - at any level? I’ll tell you why. Because the guy has a screw loose. He did an incredible job and deserves all the credit in the world, but . . . I’m guessing word has gotten around that he’s pretty tough to work with and if you’re an AD, you’ll pass.

Also he is a mediocre coach. I am glad he is gone.

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,447
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I'm not sure how firing the coach that had built your program from the ground up to #2 in the country and some huge victories was for the betterment of football

It wasn't ...... but when you want a program to be regularly challenging for at least conference championships instead of crapping the bed after early season success, you don't take that into consideration. Not agreeing with what happened but just throwing out what the thought process probably was ...... similar to the misguided decision to dump Stan when she did.

49 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Also he is a mediocre coach. I am glad he is gone.

Consider he went .625 in building the program from nothing to BCS while everyone else that has tried the job has gone .473 while tearing down the program he built from scratch (it’s only that close because the guy that just got fired had the only other winning record) that’s a pretty hot take. It made more sense when people get that way 5 coaches ago than it does after seeing what a sampling of coaches would actually do here, they were wrong and it’s really not even disputable at this point. For some perspective all CJS has to do to reach the leader in the clubhouse is go 14-0 this coming season and if you want to let him take an organic approach of winning one more game and losing one less game a year we are a short 14 years from him catching him when we go 14-0. IDK but given what you would expect a coach to do here that seems pretty above average to me and really only made sense as an argument when you had no other data.

34 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It wasn't ...... but when you want a program to be regularly challenging for at least conference championships instead of crapping the bed after early season success, you don't take that into consideration. Not agreeing with what happened but just throwing out what the thought process probably was ...... similar to the misguided decision to dump Stan when she did.

Well now we have been challenging rather regularly, not for championships obviously just challenging 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,831
  • Days Won:  67

33 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I get that thinking and understand it, but the thinking was wrong.  We were an up and coming program with no facilities, he got some great talent but not enough to sustain a full season of success, not enough horses, CJL was good just not good enough to overcome this obstacle, but he gave us a nice ride.

5 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I get that thinking and understand it, but the thinking was wrong.  We were an up and coming program with no facilities, he got some great talent but not enough to sustain a full season of success, not enough horses, CJL was good just not good enough to overcome this obstacle, but he gave us a nice ride.

Especially when you consider the context of the conversation where having facilities that look like castles compared to the trailers we started in means that a program can only beat a single FCS team and it’s the fans fault for not being supportive enough of our constant failings and squandered opportunities, but ya that whole winning with absolutely nothing thing just didn’t quite cut the mustard.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,447
  • Days Won:  422

55 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Agree 100% but I'm sure there were some of our delusional fans that felt the same way JG may have. Maybe if he had not had those early season successes, raising hopes and then dashing them, there may have been more patience ....

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,060
  • Days Won:  56

4 hours ago, chapelbull said:

That's fine. but firing because he has a screw loose is different than firing him for the betterment of football.   

And if you're a leader and can't handle strong personalities, then you shouldn't be a leader

There’s a difference between “strong personality” and borderline “wacko”. I’m on the record: Love and appreciate what Jim did for USF football.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,831
  • Days Won:  67

11 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agree 100% but I'm sure there were some of our delusional fans that felt the same way JG may have. Maybe if he had not had those early season successes, raising hopes and then dashing them, there may have been more patience ....

Not going to argue that and not even saying I did not feel the same way as Judy about more sustained success but for the love of god, let football players play football and if they feel like going to class great and if not who gives a ****.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,329
  • Content Count:  96,960
  • Days Won:  469

18 hours ago, Triple B said:

Judy's priority for USF Athletics to succeed led her to get rid of the architect of USF football. She held the program to a higher standard that was really warranted, a standard of more established programs

Puzzler.  She had to be smart enough to know ripping out Leavitt would have a devastating effect.  You don't do stupid stuff like that.  Any successful program would have recognized there were liars on all sides along with stupid donors that thought they were big fish in a little pond.  Better options were available.  She was in over her head, way over.