• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reaching the CWS = biggest accomplishment in USF Athletics' history?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

1 minute ago, Leviathan said:

Because softball is a second-class sport. 

That doesn't make the accomplishment any easier, especially is similar sports.

Guest Jonesy Bull

It depends on how you look at it.

From an overall perspective, I think you have to put the Men's Soccer team going to the Final 8 and Softball going to the WCWS ahead (unless Baseball beats Texas).

BUT, considering Baseball is widely considered a Top 3 sport on Campus, their accomplishment given 55 years of playing Baseball (geez I'm old, they were born into existence the year I was born), this would be the biggest Sports accomplishment based on popularity of the Sports.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,067
  • Days Won:  56

When the softball team went to the CWS, they did it by winning a super regional at home against Hofstra. Baseball doing it at Texas would be at a different level.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,811
  • Days Won:  22

2 hours ago, Leviathan said:

So the men's basketball team reaching the NCAA Final Four would be less impressive to you than a swimming national championship? 

Certainly the basketball team making a Final Four would be seen and supported by more since it’s a major sport. But to me winning a National Championship in any sport is the best you can do in that sport, so they get credit for that. Now if you are asking major recognition by fans and alumni that’s different.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

Because .......? Is there something that makes it easier in Softball to get there? Seems like they're both as equally tough ....

Sexism (cough, cough)

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

Because .......? Is there something that makes it easier in Softball to get there? Seems like they're both as equally tough ....

I'd argue it is even harder to get to the final 8 in any women's sport from a non-P5 school. Tell me the last time an underdog won the WBB or softball title or even got to the finals. There is a way bigger gap between the haves and the have-nots in women's sports. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

7 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I'd argue it is even harder to get to the final 8 in any women's sport from a non-P5 school. Tell me the last time an underdog won the WBB or softball title or even got to the finals. There is a way bigger gap between the haves and the have-nots in women's sports. 

softball.png

The complete list of NCAA Softball DI champions from the first season to today.

Fresno State was the last nonP5 to make the finals in 1998 and they won it.  They also made it a few times late 80's/early 90's.  Cal State Northridge made it to the finals a couple of times back around that time.  Cal-Fullerton won it in the 80's as well.  In other words, it ain't happening much and it's been awhile.   James Madison was a great story this year but didn't make the semi's

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 hours ago, chapelbull said:
softball.png

The complete list of NCAA Softball DI champions from the first season to today.

Fresno State was the last nonP5 to make the finals in 1998 and they won it.  They also made it a few times late 80's/early 90's.  Cal State Northridge made it to the finals a couple of times back around that time.  Cal-Fullerton won it in the 80's as well.  In other words, it ain't happening much and it's been awhile.   James Madison was a great story this year but didn't make the semi's

Actually they did.  They were one win against Oklahoma away from going to the Championship series.

But to your point, the non-P5 teams have pretty consistently made a run in Baseball, and even Men's basketball.  I agree with the previous poster that it seems harder to do that on the Women's side as their is more of a monopoly of those sports by a handful of P5 schools usually.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

It's all good/great in it's own way. Athletes being Athletic, bringing it home for USF. It should be a constant and not a rarity...maybe we are getting there?? Always appreciate the effort that goes into all of what our student athletes do..

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,881
  • Days Won:  33

17 hours ago, Triple B said:

A great debate topic for sure.

They are both equally difficult. The only thing I can see being different is that Baseball's road will be tougher than Softball's was.