• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

OK, reasons for real optimism

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Days Won:  55

As the spring season winds down - and maybe I’m being overly optimistic - I think you have to feel pretty good about where we’re headed. The teams that were solid this year - women’s hoops, men’s golf, women’s soccer, men’s tennis, softball - look positioned to continue to be good. There’s some optimism around football for the first time in a few years. Same goes for volleyball and track. Not sold on Billy Mohl yet, but baseball has made strides with a very young lineup and the recruiting appears to be improved. Men’s basketball did a good job of reloading through the portal and can make a nice splash if they finish it off by signing Corey Walker Jr. We got younger and, potentially more talented. Men’s soccer and women’s golf and tennis are question marks. Thoughts? And let’s try to make this thread legit, huh fellas? Bring some constructive comments or keep them to yourself. Let’s just consider this a test to see if we can have a discussion with substance.

• Like 3

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I'm not really sure how MBB will pan out. Our team needs to seriously bulk up to be decent come AAC schedule time. Volleyball appears to be trending in a better direction. Mohls seat deserves to get hot if baseball doesn't improve next season. I'm cautiously optimistic about football. WBB has reloaded. That'll be fun to watch next season.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,794
  • Days Won:  22

I agree.

W. Basketball will be loaded next year. M. Basketball is a question mark at this point. I’m feeling better with the ads just not sure we can compete in AAC with that line up

W. Soccer looks solid. M Soccer needs to improve, not up to past levels and not sure if it’s headed up or down right now

W. Volleyball is on its way up.

Optimistic about Football. I think we are on our way up, but certainly we couldn’t go much lower.

Baseball needs to step up next year or time to make changes.

Softball is ok but we seem to have regressed from where we were in past.

Mens Tennis looks good. Women’s Tennis needs to improve

Mens Golf is doing great. Women’s Golf needs to improve

Track and CC seem to be improving but we should be much better

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

19 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

As the spring season winds down - and maybe I’m being overly optimistic - I think you have to feel pretty good about where we’re headed. The teams that were solid this year - women’s hoops, men’s golf, women’s soccer, men’s tennis, softball - look positioned to continue to be good. There’s some optimism around football for the first time in a few years. Same goes for volleyball and track. Not sold on Billy Mohl yet, but baseball has made strides with a very young lineup and the recruiting appears to be improved. Men’s basketball did a good job of reloading through the portal and can make a nice splash if they finish it off by signing Corey Walker Jr. We got younger and, potentially more talented. Men’s soccer and women’s golf and tennis are question marks. Thoughts? And let’s try to make this thread legit, huh fellas? Bring some constructive comments or keep them to yourself. Let’s just consider this a test to see if we can have a discussion with substance.

i love the optimism

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,863
  • Days Won:  12

I have felt good since MK was hired and especially CJS

People who only feel good after the peak are just setting themselves up for disappointment because they miss the journey. By definition, at a peak there's no where to go but down. 

At some point you have to ask yourself if we have the right stuff in place, today, to enjoy the program, as it exists today

To me, the answer is yes, and that makes it much more fun to follow USF Athletics. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
21 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

I think this is pretty much spot on.  I don't have much to add, I'm in pretty much full agreement with your points.

Although it is nice to have the Olympic Sports winning and overall pretty solid, it is Football and Men's basketball that drives the fanbase.  There is certainly reason for optimism for both sports, and I truly believe we will see some excitement for a change.  It won't bring any Championships this year I don't believe, but as long as people see that we know what the hell we are doing and are upwardly mobile, then I think most will be satisfied with that.  

We have been here before where we were optimistic only to be let down hard.  So, I'm cautious.  But this does feel different.  This time there seems to be more tangible reasons to be excited.  The talent level from Recruiting and the Portal for both Football and Basketball are real (at least on paper) not imaginary.  

I am a bit more optimistic about Football than Basketball.  We have seen more from CBG, and its been mostly kind of ujp and down, somewhat rocky.  But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this year to prove himself.  As far as CJF, I believe in him and that he has a real plan and is putting it in motion as we speak.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  205
  • Content Count:  3,396
  • Days Won:  19

I am a old alum and was a Tampa native.  As with the Bucs, Lightning and Rays, I will become optimistic when the success actually occurs.  

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

I’ll sum up the USF sports calendar:

Long boring offseason gives way to renewed optimism about the upcoming football season —> By first of November football team has crapped the bed and not bowl eligible and everyone looks forward to the beginning of basketball season with renewed optimism —> By February, MBB has face planted and out of the conference race and not tourney eligible so people look to WBB and spring sports —> By the middle of the spring semester baseball is another huge disappointment and the rest of the spring sports are exceedingly mediocre with some actually doing quite well —>Long boring offseason.   Wash...rinse...repeat

Edited by El_Toro_86
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  4,024
  • Days Won:  55

3 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

I’ll sum up the USF sports calendar:

Long boring offseason gives way to renewed optimism about the upcoming football season —> By first of November football team has crapped the bed and not bowl eligible and everyone looks forward to the beginning of basketball season with renewed optimism —> By February, MBB has face planted and out of the conference race and not tourney eligible so people look to WBB and spring sports —> By the middle of the spring semester baseball is another huge disappointment and the rest of the spring sports are exceedingly mediocre with some actually doing quite well —>Long boring offseason.   Wash...rinse...repeat

Hard to argue that recently, but it hasn’t always been that way. Football was good. Baseball used to play in regionals almost annually. We can do it again.

• Upvote 2