• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida Schools to Allow Athletes to Profit...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Limits or no limits?

Another way to buy players that the NCAA cannot possibly supervise. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

8 hours ago, Brad said:

Another way to buy players that the NCAA cannot possibly supervise. 

So, whether or not we make it into a P5 conference we're screwed without more deep pocket donors.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

I still contend there are ways that we can capitalize on this given some of our lower contract values while being in a fairly large market. Want to go to a school where you can have your own shoe deal, soda, sports drink or any other thing athletes typically get their big sponsorship dollars from? Florida, FSU and Miami aren’t giving up those sponsorship dollars any time soon but thanks to our low valuation it probably makes sense for us (or at least it’s worth exploring).

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

43 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

So, whether or not we make it into a P5 conference we're screwed without more deep pocket donors.

hopefully Genshaft being obsessed with improving our academic standing got us a bunch of students that will be millionaires in the next decade

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

15 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I've not read any details of this subject.  Are there going to be limits on what an athlete can earn?  Otherwise, a big donor at Alabama can pay a kid $100k for his autograph and a jock strap.  

Possible. Haven't read fine print as yet. Could go back to the days of booster car dealers "loaning" new cars to college players. Or summer jobs that pay well but have no actual basis. I'm just a believer that money ruins non-pro athletics. Think there may end up problems between teammates? One receiving $$ the others not. Seems like a cluster waiting to happen...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bulloni said:

hopefully Genshaft being obsessed with improving our academic standing got us a bunch of students that will be millionaires in the next decade

What do you put the odds at that they have any connection to the athletics programs that went largely ignored while they were in school?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

What do you put the odds at that they have any connection to the athletics programs that went largely ignored while they were in school?

Always the glass half empty with you😀

6 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Always the glass half empty with you😀

I just think in order for them to make a donation they would have to have to know that we actually have athletics, have attended a game and also had a positive experience that left memories they would like to perpetuate. I put the odds on that as slim to none as the attendance and memories have been left lacking.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

14 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I just think in order for them to make a donation they would have to have to know that we actually have athletics, have attended a game and also had a positive experience that left memories they would like to perpetuate. I put the odds on that as slim to none as the attendance and memories have been left lacking.

I had no memories of USF football when I attended because we did not have a team yet I support our football team, it does happen, just sayin.

3 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I had no memories of USF football when I attended because we did not have a team yet I support our football team, it does happen, just sayin.

Fair enough but I think the Venn diagram of those in the fans without youthful memories of a team and recent multi millionaire Usf graduates creates a rather narrow union for us to target, however as the eternal optimist that can be a positive as it’s fairly easy to identify and target those individuals (even if I think it would be easier to be able to take a machine gun approach).