• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McClanahan to go Thursday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, chapelbull said:

You're probably right.   They are forward thinkers and all.   Right now they have Wander down there working through AAA pitching .....

It's not a Rays thing to sandbag a young talent for service time. Kris Bryant sued the Cubs over it. And Adames is a proven MLB shortstop. Franco has 20 at bats above A ball and he's 20. I don't disagree with them keeping him in the minors one bit. The last thing you need is him coming up and slumping. Not to mention, he played 0 games last year against competition that wasn't alternate site hitting off the same 10 pitchers and BP.

Let's say Franco is the best rookie shortstop EVER. That means he has an OPS+ above 130-140? So if he's the best ever, he's as good as Adames was last year. Why rock the boat prematurely? Adames has earned the right to build on last year. Now if he violation the bed, you bring Franco up quicker, for sure. But in the meantime, let the kid get his ABs against legit pitching that isn't also 19 years old.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Speaking of sandbagging young talent, Jarrid Kelenic is getting the call for the Mariners.  Of course, he was in the middle of the controversy this past offseason when the form President (I think) of the Mariners talked about the practice of sandbagging young talent.  Got him fired for saying what everyone already knows.

As for the Rays, I am being somewhat facetious with my complaints.   I know what the Rays do and that it has worked for the most part.  I have supported it overall and I even excused Cash's pulling of Snell in the World Series because it is what they do/had done.  All of this makes it even easier for me to call this stuff out when I see it though.   Shane's TJ surgery was 5 years ago, shouldn't be a factor.  They had all ST and April to work on ramping him up.  I'm not looking for 120 pitch complete games, 85 pitches isn't ridiculous.   I am sure they will be increasing his workload over time and we shall see where it goes

As for Wander, he is a generational type talent (at least projected to be).  Adames had career like numbers last year (abbreviated year), but he will be hard pressed to come near that again (and I like Adames).   I get the value of seeing some higher level, AAA, pitching and again I would suspect he will be called up at some point this season.   Kelenic saw some AA pitching in 2019, but not a huge amount.   

They have held lots of young guys back with no complaints from me, but these two guys, Shane and Wander, should be up here and full go.   They will be in time and hopefully they really are worth the wait

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Speaking of sandbagging young talent, Jarrid Kelenic is getting the call for the Mariners.  Of course, he was in the middle of the controversy this past offseason when the form President (I think) of the Mariners talked about the practice of sandbagging young talent.  Got him fired for saying what everyone already knows.

As for the Rays, I am being somewhat facetious with my complaints.   I know what the Rays do and that it has worked for the most part.  I have supported it overall and I even excused Cash's pulling of Snell in the World Series because it is what they do/had done.  All of this makes it even easier for me to call this stuff out when I see it though.   Shane's TJ surgery was 5 years ago, shouldn't be a factor.  They had all ST and April to work on ramping him up.  I'm not looking for 120 pitch complete games, 85 pitches isn't ridiculous.   I am sure they will be increasing his workload over time and we shall see where it goes

As for Wander, he is a generational type talent (at least projected to be).  Adames had career like numbers last year (abbreviated year), but he will be hard pressed to come near that again (and I like Adames).   I get the value of seeing some higher level, AAA, pitching and again I would suspect he will be called up at some point this season.   Kelenic saw some AA pitching in 2019, but not a huge amount.   

They have held lots of young guys back with no complaints from me, but these two guys, Shane and Wander, should be up here and full go.   They will be in time and hopefully they really are worth the wait

It's going to be tough, because Wander has a ripple effect. Do you bump Adames to 2B and Lowe goes to the bench? Adames out? And if Franco starts slumping, how much rope do you give him when it's taking ABs from Adames and Lowe? 

Logan Gilbert from Stetson made his major league debut for the Mariners tonight along side Kelenic.  He was drafted #14 in 2018, 17 spots I believe ahead of Shane.   He is also 24 years old, he got lit up a little in the 2nd, but other than that a fine debut.   He threw 71 pitches in 4 innings.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

Shane is pitching for the rays today. Gave up a 3 run home run in 2nd to the Mets. Rays trail 3-1 t2

And a solo shot to Pete Alonso in the 3rd, but struck out 7 and walked just 1 in 5.1 innings (and 75 pitches ... hip hip hooray).   In line for the W as the Rays rallied for 5 in the bottom of the 4th and are up 6-4 in the top of 6.  He was just lifted for Kittredge.

Edited by chapelbull

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Adames traded

Was just coming looking for this thread.

Milwaukee

Walls gets the call over Franco and has a great debut

3000.jpeg

DUNEDIN, Fla. (AP) — Taylor Walls hit a pair of doubles in his major league debut and the Tampa Bay Rays won their ninth straight game, 3-1 over the Toronto Blue Jays on...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

Another great outing for Shane .... 5 innings, 63 pitches, 6 K's, 0 BB, 3 H's, 0 ER's ..... and the W.