• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McClanahan to go Thursday

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

With the Rays and its treatment of young talent, it’s financial repercussions mixed with in-depth analytics.

The organization is certainly going to do everything in its power to keep Shane and other young studs (looking at you Wander) under team control for as long as allowable by keeping them in the minors - even when they should/could be getting those same innings in the majors. 

That said, you can certainly see the advanced analytics coming into play as well with the young pitchers (SM, Glasnow, etc.) being limited to 60-70 pitches in the beginning and then lengthening then to 80-90 as they progress. My guess is they’ve discovered that once a guy gets over 60 pitches then he’s not as effective (makes sense, as the third time through the lineup you can usually see a spike in batting avg, runs allowed, etc.) and then they go to the pen.

This allows the young guys to put up artificially skewed better numbers, thus driving up their value to the rest of the league once they become trade bait. Only within the last year or two prior to free agency/trade time do you see the pitchers get stretched to 90+ pitches per game and 150+ innings for the year, to prove these guys aren’t a fluke - which usually happens (look at Snell and Archer) and results in big contracts for the guys leaving and good young talent in return for the trade.

TL; DR...the Rays know exactly what they’re doing, but as a fan, I’d like to see the young guys develop in the majors rather than the minors, as it’s more exciting and better for the players careers financially.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

13 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Carson Ragsdale made his professional debut yesterday for the San Jose Giants (Low A affiliate of San Fran).  5 innings, 1 hit, 1 BB, 7 Ks and no runs ....... and 67 pitches 🤔

Can't wait until he gets called up to the majors and they cut him back to 60.

Edit: Sorry Nova. Responded to this before reading yours.

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

19 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Edit: Sorry Nova. Responded to this before reading yours.

No worries, great minds think alike!

GIF by Identity

Guest Jonesy Bull

I like everything I see from him.  He is in the right system to become great.  Go Shane!!

Its actually a perfect time for him to shine, the Rays are hurting pitching wise and he can step up and take a starting spot.  I have confidence that he can do it.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

On 5/8/2021 at 8:22 AM, NovaBull said:

With the Rays and its treatment of young talent, it’s financial repercussions mixed with in-depth analytics.

The organization is certainly going to do everything in its power to keep Shane and other young studs (looking at you Wander) under team control for as long as allowable by keeping them in the minors - even when they should/could be getting those same innings in the majors. 

That said, you can certainly see the advanced analytics coming into play as well with the young pitchers (SM, Glasnow, etc.) being limited to 60-70 pitches in the beginning and then lengthening then to 80-90 as they progress. My guess is they’ve discovered that once a guy gets over 60 pitches then he’s not as effective (makes sense, as the third time through the lineup you can usually see a spike in batting avg, runs allowed, etc.) and then they go to the pen.

This allows the young guys to put up artificially skewed better numbers, thus driving up their value to the rest of the league once they become trade bait. Only within the last year or two prior to free agency/trade time do you see the pitchers get stretched to 90+ pitches per game and 150+ innings for the year, to prove these guys aren’t a fluke - which usually happens (look at Snell and Archer) and results in big contracts for the guys leaving and good young talent in return for the trade.

TL; DR...the Rays know exactly what they’re doing, but as a fan, I’d like to see the young guys develop in the majors rather than the minors, as it’s more exciting and better for the players careers financially.

They know what they are doing for sure ..... control their "assets" and hold back the young guys as long as possible to save money.   Shane's numbers are not being artificially skewed better, they're being held back.  He is supposed to be going today so let's see what happens

On 5/8/2021 at 9:50 AM, CousinRicky said:

I know right

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

And that is why they only let him go to 60 pitches. Got to 70+ and 2 outs in the 4th and 3 runs allowed.

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

And that is why they only let him go to 60 pitches. Got to 70+ and 2 outs in the 4th and 3 runs allowed.

Not so fast my friend.  His struggles started in the late 50's into the early 60's.   His pitch total climbed to 80 because they let him work through the inning.   So ironic that he can work to 80 when he is struggling and not in line for a W but we have to pull him after 4 innings and 60 pitches when he is rolling and has the potential to earn a W ..... 

Either way, it was his worst inning in 3 appearances and he worked through it.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

7 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Not so fast my friend.  His struggles started in the late 50's into the early 60's.   His pitch total climbed to 80 because they let him work through the inning.   So ironic that he can work to 80 when he is struggling and not in line for a W but we have to pull him after 4 innings and 60 pitches when he is rolling and has the potential to earn a W ..... 

Either way, it was his worst inning in 3 appearances and he worked through it.  

Maybe they think having him have to work through struggles is better for him at this point in his development.... who knows. 

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

Maybe they think having him have to work through struggles is better for him at this point in his development.... who knows. 

You're probably right.   They are forward thinkers and all.   Right now they have Wander down there working through AAA pitching .....

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

If I just took a quick glance, stats aside. I'd be more inclined to think they laid out a plan for a young pitcher with a TJ surgery who has limited MLB experience. It's the first month. 60 or so pitches for a couple starts. Ramp it up to 80. Then 100. Why burn him out in May? If the Rays are going to make any noise, they need him in August.