• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McClanahan to go Thursday

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

Just now, chapelbull said:

Yep.   

Was he set up differently in regards to the financial aspect than Shane ....?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Don't forget there was that TJ a few years ago...  :)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

21 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I have no idea

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

Don't forget there was that TJ a few years ago...  :)

Sugar Shane?   That was like 5 years ago

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I have no idea

You said his innings/pitches are being cut short by the Rays for financial reasons. They obviously didn't cut Snell's innings/pitches short so just wondering what the difference is. 

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

You said his innings/pitches are being cut short by the Rays for financial reasons. They obviously didn't cut Snell's innings/pitches short so just wondering what the difference is

5 years?   Some different guys in front office?   I don't know, but I do know that you don't have to pull your 24 year old stud pitcher at 60 pitches to "manage his load".   I also know that everything the Rays do is based on finances so no reason for this to be different.  Why is the top minor league prospect for going on 4 years tearing it up at AAA Durham instead of up in the Show?   

I'm guessing that if he keeps it up, which he is fully capable of, that they will let him go deeper sooner than later.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Every situation is a little different so some go a little longer but every young pitcher has leash. Cole is on a different level and came in on a  different level, snell sent five seasons in the minors, SM has basically only had one full season in the minors. A lot of factors play into it but it doesn't seem outrageous especially considering the clubs philosophies. They have a lot better understanding of where his potential cliff is than us so

16 hours ago, Triple B said:

You said his innings/pitches are being cut short by the Rays for financial reasons. They obviously didn't cut Snell's innings/pitches short so just wondering what the difference is. 

10 hours ago, chapelbull said:

5 years?   Some different guys in front office? 

Twice as much time in the minors than Shane?

Like BB12 said, every situation is different and while I'm sure a lot of what the Rays do is with an eye on the finances, everything isn't and it's kind of hard to look at this situation and make a good case that it is.

More time in the minors has nothing to do with it.  IF we are claiming "load control" and controlling innings, then throwing innings in the minors is the same as throwing in the majors ... more innings = more wear and tear on the arm.   Snell was in the minors longer because he was drafted out of HS and he needed the development.   Is anyone here arguing that Shane isn't our 2nd best starter right now?   Now if you are arguing that they are ramping him up to throw more like they do in say Spring Training and into the early season, then OK.   I don't agree that it should be necessary since he was in Spring Training like the rest of them and would think he was throwing in the extended Spring camps.  Throwing 85-90 pitches in a MLB game at 24 isn't outrageous and isn't putting unneeded strain on a 24 year old's arm.   Pulling him at 60 is ultra conservative and allows them to suppress stats 

But as I said before, my guess is they will increase his innings at some point this season probably sooner than later if he continues to throw as he has.

• Upvote 1

Carson Ragsdale made his professional debut yesterday for the San Jose Giants (Low A affiliate of San Fran).  5 innings, 1 hit, 1 BB, 7 Ks and no runs ....... and 67 pitches 🤔