• Join Today

Join today and enjoy site benefits and fewer ads presented

• Members do not see this ad. Join today.

• Game 1

Sat, 6/12, 9 pm (ESPNU) 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 R H E
    South Florida                          
    Texas                          

In-game Chat  Game Thread  Live Stats  Bulls Unlimited (radio)

2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

I think he had a little bit of a rough 1st and then it looks like he dominated.   Be nice if they would let him through more than 63 pitches though.  🤨

I don't mind them easing him in. Confidence and workload are a big deal to a young pitcher. The Rays philosophy seems to be that each pitcher has a certain number of pitches/innings for the time that they have them under contractual control and they seem to make decisions based upon that, in addition to the other advanced metrics they employ. They seem to like the 1-2 punch that Shane and Patino give them right now, and you can't really argue with the results (albeit with only 2 games to go off of). 

If the bats and the pitching ever get hot at the same time, this is one of the best teams in baseball. My fear is that the Yankees are starting to put it together. Their hitting is coming around and their pitching has shockingly been the best in the AL. I think Boston will regress to the mean and finish around 86-76. The Rays will likely need to win 88-90 games in order to earn a wildcard 

Members do not see this ad, Register
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

… Cash said left-hander Shane McClanahan, who made his regular-season major-league debut on Thursday afternoon, will have a regular spot in the rotation for the time being. McClanahan’s pitching workl

Better outing - 4.0 IP   2 H   0 ER   2 BB   5 SO        

Posted Images

I know why they are doing it ... it is 100% about finances.   He will be traded away well before he burns out

24 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I don't mind them easing him in. Confidence and workload are a big deal to a young pitcher. The Rays philosophy seems to be that each pitcher has a certain number of pitches/innings for the time that they have them under contractual control and they seem to make decisions based upon that, in addition to the other advanced metrics they employ. They seem to like the 1-2 punch that Shane and Patino give them right now, and you can't really argue with the results (albeit with only 2 games to go off of). 

If the bats and the pitching ever get hot at the same time, this is one of the best teams in baseball. My fear is that the Yankees are starting to put it together. Their hitting is coming around and their pitching has shockingly been the best in the AL. I think Boston will regress to the mean and finish around 86-76. The Rays will likely need to win 88-90 games in order to earn a wildcard 

Agree with Boston. I’ve watched almost every Red Sox game this year and will be at Fenway for the series against the Braves in a few weeks. The pitching is very shakey, especially out of the pen, the hitting at the bottom of the order is terrible, and the schedule also gets more difficult after next week. I am still going to hope they somehow get a wildcard but it could be tough. 

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Agree with Boston. I’ve watched almost every Red Sox game this year and will be at Fenway for the series against the Braves in a few weeks. The pitching is very shakey, especially out of the pen, the hitting at the bottom of the order is terrible, and the schedule also gets more difficult after next week. I am still going to hope they somehow get a wildcard but it could be tough. 

They are playing better than anyone expected and, if Renfroe can stay hot, they have a solid lineup. It will be interesting to see how Sale looks when he returns. If they are in the mix come the trade deadline it will be interesting to see how aggressive they get. 

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

They are playing better than anyone expected and, if Renfroe can stay hot, they have a solid lineup. It will be interesting to see how Sale looks when he returns. If they are in the mix come the trade deadline it will be interesting to see how aggressive they get. 

Renfroe had the game of his season last night...almost hit through the cycle (tough to get a triple at Fenway though). Sale took some light throws from the mound yesterday and the expectation is a return this summer...he is the wildcard in all of this. Agreed, as a team they have surpassed the expectations of everyone. Like him or hate him Cora is an excellent manager and the teams early success has a lot to do with him. I agree if they are still in striking distance of a playoff they will make a trade. The Yankees are coming on and will be tough in the next few months. 

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Renfroe had the game of his season last night...almost hit through the cycle (tough to get a triple at Fenway though). Sale took some light throws from the mound yesterday and the expectation is a return this summer...he is the wildcard in all of this. Agreed, as a team they have surpassed the expectations of everyone. Like him or hate him Cora is an excellent manager and the teams early success has a lot to do with him. I agree if they are still in striking distance of a playoff they will make a trade. The Yankees are coming on and will be tough in the next few months. 

If the Yankees are within 2 or 3 games of the Red Sox come the trade deadline the arms race could be exceptional. The Rays are lucky in that they can fortify their roster from the minors. They also have a few middle infield pieces that they could potentially trade for a significant return. Trading Willy Adames might yield a quality bullpen arm and a couple of prospects for the Rays.

As much as I dislike the Red Sox and Yankees, MLB is more fun when they are both good/great at the same time. I just love that my Rays get to be the thorn in their arrogant fanbases' sides (present company excluded, of course). 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

If the Yankees are within 2 or 3 games of the Red Sox come the trade deadline the arms race could be exceptional. The Rays are lucky in that they can fortify their roster from the minors. They also have a few middle infield pieces that they could potentially trade for a significant return. Trading Willy Adames might yield a quality bullpen arm and a couple of prospects for the Rays.

As much as I dislike the Red Sox and Yankees, MLB is more fun when they are both good/great at the same time. I just love that my Rays get to be the thorn in their arrogant fanbases' sides (present company excluded, of course). 

Yes I give the Rays credit...especially when they beat the Yankees😀. They have a model that works for them nicely. Other than that first series in Boston this year, the Rays have had success against the Sox as well. Don’t sleep on Toronto either. Tough division to play in for sure. Should be a fun year with these four teams battling it out. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes I give the Rays credit...especially when they beat the Yankees😀. They have a model that works for them nicely. Other than that first series in Boston this year, the Rays have had success against the Sox as well. Don’t sleep on Toronto either. Tough division to play in for sure. Should be a fun year with these four teams battling it out. 

I don't think Toronto's pitching can keep up their performance for the rest of the season. I see them as overachieving slightly to this point. I think they end up between 78 and 82 wins, which is pretty solid for a young team with only 1 legit starter. 

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

I know why they are doing it ... it is 100% about finances.   He will be traded away well before he burns out

I disagree that it is 100% about finances. I think all of their decisions take financial impact into consideration, but they also make competitive decisions. If they didn't, they wouldn't have had the sustained success they have had over the course of the last 13 years or so. They might not be good enough to win it all most years, but I will take a well-run, consistent, competitive team that is almost always in the post-season mix. I hate the owners for what they are doing with the stadium fiasco, but I can't really complain about the way they have structured the team. 

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

I don't think Toronto's pitching can keep up their performance for the rest of the season. I see them as overachieving slightly to this point. I think they end up between 78 and 82 wins, which is pretty solid for a young team with only 1 legit starter. 

That's probably right with Toronto...they always seem to have a "June swoon" complex but they will still take a series or two from one of the other three who need to win games to keep up.