• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Men’s hoops additions

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

23 minutes ago, jg233 said:

I think Yetna has a chance to do well going forward.  He doesn't have to be the man at Seton Hall.  Going from scoring option 1 or 2 at USF to being maybe 4 or 5 at SHU.  Durr will probably be in the same situation.  They had a lot of pressure to perform here, especially Yetna.

Yetna will be further removed from the injury, also. It will be interesting to see how all the guys do in the places they land ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

5 hours ago, smazza said:

you cant defend size

you need bigs

We have Tchewa and will need a serviceable back up for him when he gets into foul trouble or labors. Oduro should expect a sizeable increase in playing time at the 4 with his size (averaged less than 10 minutes per game last season), so finding someone (or two) off the bench who can play the 4/5 will be key.

I think the starting 5 I'd like to see won't be undersized at all:

• G - Murphy (6'4", 185 lbs)
  • G - Chaplin (6'5", 196 lbs) - likely get first look with starters but could be easily replaced by Greene if he struggles
  • F - Boggs (6'7", 190 lbs) - junior who shoots 47%/44%/76%, looks athletic enough but CAA to AAC is a jump in physicality and speed
  • F - Oduro (6'8, 255 lbs)
  • C- Tchewa (7'0", 260 lbs)

That starting 5 is big enough, but its the bench that lacks the 4/5 that can move people and spell Tchewa and Oduro.

• G - Moss (6'3", 175 lbs) - incoming freshman will likely back up Murphy to start
  • G - Greene (6'4", 190 lbs) - shoots 43%/37%/78%; have seen him listed as a small as 6'2"; 5th year senior could easily replace Chapin if he struggles
  • F - Hines, Jr. (6'6", 210 lbs) - shoots 47%/16%/55%; strong on the glass for his size; sophomore has the body to step in for Boggs if overmatched; right now would likely to come in when Tchewa or Oduro are out
  • F - Patrick (6'7", 190 lbs) - shot 47%/44%/80% in junior college but underwhelming on the boards

With only 3 players on the roster weighing 200 lbs or more, it will be interesting to see:

• Who else Gregory can land to spell Tchewa and Oduro?
  • What kind of identity the group takes on for such an athletic and thin group?
  • How much this group gets pushed around? 8 of the 9 players that transferred out weighed 200 lbs+ each

Also, all 4 transfers averaged 25 minutes per game last season, so will be interesting to see how Gregory mixes them in. This is something the team really struggled with in the non-conference last year as he integrated Murphy, Tchewa and Yetna back in with those that were returning. They never seemed to find an identity or the right chemistry.

Edited by bjef4844

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

Important question about our men’s basketball team. Will we be more Harlem or Washington next season?

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,089
  • Days Won:  56

7 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

We have Tchewa and will need a serviceable back up for him when he gets into foul trouble or labors. Oduro should expect a sizeable increase in playing time at the 4 with his size (averaged less than 10 minutes per game last season), so finding someone (or two) off the bench who can play the 4/5 will be key.

I think the starting 5 I'd like to see won't be undersized at all:

• G - Murphy (6'4", 185 lbs)
  • G - Chaplin (6'5", 196 lbs) - likely get first look with starters but could be easily replaced by Greene if he struggles
  • F - Boggs (6'7", 190 lbs) - junior who shoots 47%/44%/76%, looks athletic enough but CAA to AAC is a jump in physicality and speed
  • F - Oduro (6'8, 255 lbs)
  • C- Tchewa (7'0", 260 lbs)

That starting 5 is big enough, but its the bench that lacks the 4/5 that can move people and spell Tchewa and Oduro.

• G - Moss (6'3", 175 lbs) - incoming freshman will likely back up Murphy to start
  • G - Greene (6'4", 190 lbs) - shoots 43%/37%/78%; have seen him listed as a small as 6'2"; 5th year senior could easily replace Chapin if he struggles
  • F - Hines, Jr. (6'6", 210 lbs) - shoots 47%/16%/55%; strong on the glass for his size; sophomore has the body to step in for Boggs if overmatched; right now would likely to come in when Tchewa or Oduro are out
  • F - Patrick (6'7", 190 lbs) - shot 47%/44%/80% in junior college but underwhelming on the boards

With only 3 players on the roster weighing 200 lbs or more, it will be interesting to see:

• Who else Gregory can land to spell Tchewa and Oduro?
  • What kind of identity the group takes on for such an athletic and thin group?
  • How much this group gets pushed around? 8 of the 9 players that transferred out weighed 200 lbs+ each

Also, all 4 transfers averaged 25 minutes per game last season, so will be interesting to see how Gregory mixes them in. This is something the team really struggled with in the non-conference last year as he integrated Murphy, Tchewa and Yetna back in with those that were returning. They never seemed to find an identity or the right chemistry.

Corey Walker Jr.  If we can sign him - and we are in the mix - this group looks better. It looks built to run and they should shoot it better, given the numbers of the newcomers.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  353
  • Content Count:  4,089
  • Days Won:  56

JUCO G Terry Roberts - who has an offer from USF - would be another nice add if we are going to get up and down. He’s an athletic guy who can run and shoot it pretty well - oh, and he’s over 80-percent at the line. Give me Walker, Roberts and one other guy with some size and I’d feel pretty good.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Don't know how it is all going to turn out, but it is starting to look more and more like CBG wasn't exactly surprised by the exit of players.   I'm sure he would have liked a couple to stay, but some were seeing the writing on the wall I'm sure.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, Dave Glaser said:

JUCO G Terry Roberts - who has an offer from USF - would be another nice add if we are going to get up and down. He’s an athletic guy who can run and shoot it pretty well - oh, and he’s over 80-percent at the line. Give me Walker, Roberts and one other guy with some size and I’d feel pretty good.

Seems like we are all waiting on a big dude to portal in for us. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

9 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Don't know how it is all going to turn out, but it is starting to look more and more like CBG wasn't exactly surprised by the exit of players.   I'm sure he would have liked a couple to stay, but some were seeing the writing on the wall I'm sure.

From what I understand, he wasn't surprised by the first couple but the last ones may have been unexpected ...

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

56 minutes ago, Triple B said:

From what I understand, he wasn't surprised by the first couple but the last ones may have been unexpected ...

I'm sure he would have preferred to have Yetna and Durr back, but what can you do.   This is setting up for the G5's to be minor league programs for the P5's just like we are training grounds for coaches

• Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

80% from the line?  So either he doesn't come here or comes here and gets the dome curse and plummets to 68%.  😀

• Haha 1