• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Assess the current QB situation after the spring game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

On 3/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, BullsFanInTX said:

1.  Fortin is a clear number one.  Had command of the offense.  Looked crisp.  Has developed chemistry with Weaver.  Moved the team.  Threw a good deep ball.  Has good arm strength.  Wouldn't exactly call him mobile, but can scramble around when needed.  His job to lose.

2.  McClain.  The most athletically gifted of all the QB's.  Has the most upside of all the QB's.  Could be another Flowers.  Has the best mobility and speed of all the QB's.  Can extend plays with his feet more than the other QB's.  Showed good zip on his passes, and while he may not have an absolute cannon, can definitely get the ball down the field.  Needs to find his way on to the field this year, somehow, some way, whether that be a package of plays or for a series or two per game.  I would not be surprised to see McClain named starter this year, if Fortin stumbles and bumbles his way through the first half of year.

3.  Marsh.  Showed why he has a big league arm.  Showed good mobility also.  I don't remember him being that mobile last year.  There is a reason he saw the field last year.  The coaches like his potential.  Good backup QB with long term starter potential.  Don't see him playing that much this year, unless things go wrong with other QB's.

4. Williams.  Eh, looked poor actually up until the last drive.  Has he shown more than this in spring ball?  Hopefully so.  I watched his Miami highlights, and he does have talent and ability.  Will he settle for being down on the depth chart.  Nothing he did today jumped off the page as a clear must have number one QB.  The last drive kind of saved him somewhat.  Put together some good throws on that drive.  Will say he did not get near the time to throw that Fortin did.  Plus the two hand touch on the QB's did not allow him to run very much either.  Looked mediocre, missed some throws, but clear from highlights that he has a lot of ability.  Will he settle for a backup job, if he doesn't win the starter, or will he look to move on.  At this point I don't see him beating out Fortin unless something changes between now and fall. 

great scouting report

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

On 3/27/2021 at 7:38 PM, Gatorbull325 said:

He aint the best player THIS year. Lets redshirt him.

if mcclain isnt # 1 you redshirt him

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,794
  • Days Won:  22

Let’s see how we look when we start seeing full team in Fall. But the QB situation is much improved and that’s important because if we aren’t scoring 35 points a game in the AAC we aren’t winning. Our defense hopefully is improved enough to make stops but the days of relying on defenses to stop opponents to 21 points or less on most games is over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  943
  • Days Won:  1

I think if Cade is the most polished QB by the start of fall, we need to commit to him as the starter for the year (unless there is a span of 3-4 games of disaster, then let someone other than McClain eat up snaps) The 2 QB system never works out and to burn a RS year for McClain would be foolish on a team that wouldn’t  win with or without him (this year anyways). I think it is a great opportunity to have a really young, athletic and high potential kid like McClain and for him to be able to grow and learn behind Cade for a year is actually ideal when looking at the next 3-4 years down the road. As others have said, we have parts of the roster that need built up before a legitimate conference run can be made, so let’s be patient and methodical with the build. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't understand this thought process that McClain must be redshirted.  If he truly is the next QF, then get him on the field ASAP without delay.  I am not saying he is, but if the coaches feel he's the best, forget the redshirt.  An electric QB can take a team from 3 or 4 wins to 7 or 8 wins by himself.  You don't "save" special talents!!!  Coaches want to win now, and will play the guy they think will help them do that.

I'm OK with Cade starting season, but if he bombs out, get McClain on the field now.  Freshmen can come in and make a difference now.   

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  943

36 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I don't understand this thought process that McClain must be redshirted.  If he truly is the next QF, then get him on the field ASAP without delay.  I am not saying he is, but if the coaches feel he's the best, forget the redshirt.  An electric QB can take a team from 3 or 4 wins to 7 or 8 wins by himself.  You don't "save" special talents!!!  Coaches want to win now, and will play the guy they think will help them do that.

I'm OK with Cade starting season, but if he bombs out, get McClain on the field now.  Freshmen can come in and make a difference now.   

The thought process is that if you have a defense that will give up 40 points a game, you have under developed WR’s, a group of suspect RB’s and an O-line that could use another year of seasoning, you may want to protect your future. Your young QB could be injured trying to do too much or left exposed. If another year of development for the rest of the team equates to a more stable foundation for your young QB, you are only helping the health and development of him. If we were a QB away from winning the conference, OK then, but anyone who watch any game this season knows that’s not the case with this team.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

1 hour ago, BullsFanInTX said:

How much growth and benefit was there to getting QF on the field as a true freshman and having him get eaten alive?  Think about how much growth he had the next three years, and how much better he could have been as a senior if his freshman year had not been completed wasted by Taggart.  Having him play 60 or so snaps as a freshman was a disservice to QF and to the team.

Edit:  If he can play 10 or so specific plays in 8 or 10 games, that may be a benefit.  But to play him a couple of games and have him overwhelmed just for the sake of him playing is a waste.

Edited by Who'sYourData?

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

5 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Remember, QF wasn't QF when he started...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

Who was he?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  106
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/29/2021 at 6:29 PM, DJBulls said:

What I saw of McClain is that he ran the offense like QF as a junior/senior. He looked off a DB with a pump fake and hit the receiver over the top just the same as when QF  would shoulder pump fake to MVS and then hit him over the top on a hitch and go.
Now I know there’s no way he’s QF ready now but he had a much better command of the offense in the little action he had than Quinton flowers did as a freshman.

Edited by RagingBull