• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Assess the current QB situation after the spring game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1.  Fortin is a clear number one.  Had command of the offense.  Looked crisp.  Has developed chemistry with Weaver.  Moved the team.  Threw a good deep ball.  Has good arm strength.  Wouldn't exactly call him mobile, but can scramble around when needed.  His job to lose.

2.  McClain.  The most athletically gifted of all the QB's.  Has the most upside of all the QB's.  Could be another Flowers.  Has the best mobility and speed of all the QB's.  Can extend plays with his feet more than the other QB's.  Showed good zip on his passes, and while he may not have an absolute cannon, can definitely get the ball down the field.  Needs to find his way on to the field this year, somehow, some way, whether that be a package of plays or for a series or two per game.  I would not be surprised to see McClain named starter this year, if Fortin stumbles and bumbles his way through the first half of year.

3.  Marsh.  Showed why he has a big league arm.  Showed good mobility also.  I don't remember him being that mobile last year.  There is a reason he saw the field last year.  The coaches like his potential.  Good backup QB with long term starter potential.  Don't see him playing that much this year, unless things go wrong with other QB's.

4. Williams.  Eh, looked poor actually up until the last drive.  Has he shown more than this in spring ball?  Hopefully so.  I watched his Miami highlights, and he does have talent and ability.  Will he settle for being down on the depth chart.  Nothing he did today jumped off the page as a clear must have number one QB.  The last drive kind of saved him somewhat.  Put together some good throws on that drive.  Will say he did not get near the time to throw that Fortin did.  Plus the two hand touch on the QB's did not allow him to run very much either.  Looked mediocre, missed some throws, but clear from highlights that he has a lot of ability.  Will he settle for a backup job, if he doesn't win the starter, or will he look to move on.  At this point I don't see him beating out Fortin unless something changes between now and fall. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,508
  • Days Won:  422

9 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Needs to find his way on to the field this year, somehow, some way, whether that be a package of plays or for a series or two per game. 

Only if CJS has guaranteed him to see the field this year. One of the biggest faux pas of CWT was burning Q's redshirt.

Also, not sure how to wrap my head around that the qb with the most "success" when the bullets were live is fourth on that assessment .... an assessment I do mostly agree with.

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

Man I must have missed McClain- I left at half time melting- but your right Williams was pedestrian at best. Very disappointed in his play. 

12 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Man I must have missed McClain- I left at half time melting- but your right Williams was pedestrian at best. Very disappointed in his play. 

McClain went 8 of 13 for 117 yards and a TD and also rushed 6 times for 30 years and another TD.  He would have had a lot more yardage if they didn't call the QB down as soon as someone touched him.  He also was subbed out a lot, I think he missed two series when they put in other QB's, plus they had the running clock in second half.  He looked the most mobile of all out QB's on the roster.  Looked like a mini Vick out there (NOT saying he's the next Michael Vick).  If he had played the entire first half like Fortin and Williams did, he probably would have put up big numbers both rushing and passing.   

Edited by BullsFanInTX
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

There is a reason he transferred from Miami. Any time we get a transfer from a big name school I’m fairly certain it won’t work for us. 

MCClain was my favorite on the day. I see why Fortin is the front runner and I was pretty impressed with Marsh today. 

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Right now Zi would say

1. Fortin looks as the starter but any of the other three can move up if he struggles.

Wiliams still learning the offense and takes longer to make decisions. He will get better.

Marsh best arm and show some good moves.

MCClain best all around but still a freshmen, not sure is good for team if he needs to step up.. Remember Flowers freshmen years?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Only if CJS has guaranteed him to see the field this year. One of the biggest faux pas of CWT was burning Q's redshirt.

Also, not sure how to wrap my head around that the qb with the most "success" when the bullets were live is fourth on that assessment .... an assessment I do mostly agree with.

McClain can play in 4 games and not burn his redshirt.  Let him play some and see what happens.  If he doesn't do anything, keep his redshirt.  If he ends up being electric, burn the redshirt.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

Ideally I'd like to see McClain get redshirted but not sure if Scott can afford to.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

53 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

1.  Fortin is a clear number one.  Had command of the offense.  Looked crisp.  Has developed chemistry with Weaver.  Moved the team.  Threw a good deep ball.  Has good arm strength.  Wouldn't exactly call him mobile, but can scramble around when needed.  His job to lose.

2.  McClain.  The most athletically gifted of all the QB's.  Has the most upside of all the QB's.  Could be another Flowers.  Has the best mobility and speed of all the QB's.  Can extend plays with his feet more than the other QB's.  Showed good zip on his passes, and while he may not have an absolute cannon, can definitely get the ball down the field.  Needs to find his way on to the field this year, somehow, some way, whether that be a package of plays or for a series or two per game.  I would not be surprised to see McClain named starter this year, if Fortin stumbles and bumbles his way through the first half of year.

3.  Marsh.  Showed why he has a big league arm.  Showed good mobility also.  I don't remember him being that mobile last year.  There is a reason he saw the field last year.  The coaches like his potential.  Good backup QB with long term starter potential.  Don't see him playing that much this year, unless things go wrong with other QB's.

4. Williams.  Eh, looked poor actually up until the last drive.  Has he shown more than this in spring ball?  Hopefully so.  I watched his Miami highlights, and he does have talent and ability.  Will he settle for being down on the depth chart.  Nothing he did today jumped off the page as a clear must have number one QB.  The last drive kind of saved him somewhat.  Put together some good throws on that drive.  Will say he did not get near the time to throw that Fortin did.  Plus the two hand touch on the QB's did not allow him to run very much either.  Looked mediocre, missed some throws, but clear from highlights that he has a lot of ability.  Will he settle for a backup job, if he doesn't win the starter, or will he look to move on.  At this point I don't see him beating out Fortin unless something changes between now and fall. 

This is perfect 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, jjlovecub said:

There is a reason he transferred from Miami. Any time we get a transfer from a big name school I’m fairly certain it won’t work for us. 

MCClain was my favorite on the day. I see why Fortin is the front runner and I was pretty impressed with Marsh today. 

It has generally worked well for us for defensive players but no much for offense and certainly not for QB.