• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Entire USF Mens basketball team is transfering. (well only 5 so far)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On 3/16/2021 at 8:39 PM, Gatorbull325 said:

We have a new football recruit name Jahvon Thomas. He is also going to play basketball. I havent seen his basketball film, but he his stats was like 18/19pts, 10 reb and 5 assist per game which is pretty **** good. These basketball players see the writing on the wall. They are getting replaced with better players. 

This isn't a knock on you, but HS stats should always be taken with a grain of salt. I once led Broward County in wins and strikeouts as a pitcher. If you saw we were bringing on a baseball player that had 10 wins and struck out 110 in 70 or so innings and won the MVP award at the National Starter Classic (remember this was the 90s and Starter was like the Under Armour of the day) by going 3-0 in 11 innings with no earned runs and 15 Ks, you'd be pumped. I can assure you, that player was not as good as his stats advertised.

4 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

No, I think my theory was pretty well stated - I think he is a terrible coach and potentially a poor people leader by allowing Collins to get too much control. I don't think anyone expected Collins or Brown back, but the other 2 are surprises. Castaneda is the one that is raising red flags. Throw in Anderson who says he wants to transfer somewhere that values 3 point shooters, and now you have 5 players who are choosing NOT to stay. And I think you could see as many as 3 other players make the decision to leave the program.

Have to say I was ahead of the curve (again) on Gregory needing to get fired, I just didn't think it was the players who were going to be the ones to "fire" Gregory. I guess they are just being unrealistic and impatient as well. 

Uh, didn't you also say we should give him an extension like a week or two ago?

4 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Some of these guys jumping to the portal are going to find out is easier jumping in than landing in a better place.

Like my man Evel Knievel says, "Anybody can jump a motorcycle. The trouble begins when you try to land it."

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

4 hours ago, Cubanbull said:

Oh no my friend, plenty of others worse off and in way worse places

Didn't a former coach call us the worse job in MBB?  Or was the Dickie V?

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,508
  • Days Won:  28

28 minutes ago, JTrue said:

This isn't a knock on you, but HS stats should always be taken with a grain of salt. I once led Broward County in wins and strikeouts as a pitcher. If you saw we were bringing on a baseball player that had 10 wins and struck out 110 in 70 or so innings and won the MVP award at the National Starter Classic (remember this was the 90s and Starter was like the Under Armour of the day) by going 3-0 in 11 innings with no earned runs and 15 Ks, you'd be pumped. I can assure you, that player was not as good as his stats advertised.

Thats why i had the disclaimer that I didnt see his film. Either way a 1 or 2 guard that's averaging 19pts, 10 reb and 5 assist per game shall get the benefit of the doubt from me. 

7 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Thats why i had the disclaimer that I didnt see his film. Either way a 1 or 2 guard that's averaging 19pts, 10 reb and 5 assist per game shall get the benefit of the doubt from me. 

I dob't disagree that the kid is worth a look, I just don't put much stock in HS stats. I've coached HS sports and know how stats are taken and reported, The stats are sent in to the paper from both sides and one side calls something an error to protect their pitcher and the other side calls it a hit. The paper counts both. The kid's batting average goes up and the pitcher's ERA goes down. 

And now that teams are playing more local schedules, it means they play less games out of the area (which are usual tournaments and scheduled games against top teams) and more games against their local competition. So you play the local patsy and crush them multiple times and don't play someone from a few counties away that you would normally schedule because they're actually good. 

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

17 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I believe it was "toughest job in MBB", or something similar, and it was Dickie V ....... but it was also when we were in the BE and it was definitely truth then ....... but hell, maybe it turns out conference doesn't matter:

image.png

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,810
  • Days Won:  22

25 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

That was when we had no facilities other than SunDome. A lot has changed since then. Plus you get a nice university in a a nice location

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,452
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

How much has really changed?

The Muma is the most significant ....

• Upvote 1