Jump to content
  • Join Today

    Join today and enjoy site benefits and fewer ads presented

Entire USF Mens basketball team is transfering. (well only 5 so far)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I get that you are teasing, but I am not seeing anything too alarming. No one really wanted Collins back. Anderson was never going to do anything. Williams underwhelmed in his time here. Akec was a non-factor. Castaneda is the big loss here and the one that is troubling. If he is joined by another expected contributor for next year (not just a depth piece) I will be legitimately concerned. 

Those 6 players are players Gregory recruited to come play here AND all 6 of them had at least one more year to play at USF AND all 6 players said NO.

Its easy to look at each individual and why they might be leaving or diminish their impact, but I believe we will see at least 2 of the big 3 also leave. What becomes difficult to rationalize now, but you did a nice job of it, becomes impossible then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

It very well could be his demise. The entire house could be on fire. Or, this is just a slightly higher level of attrition than we were expecting and things work out ok. With regard to these transfers, you have to wonder how good these guys are when they couldn't cut it in P5 so they came here. We needed depth given the circumstances, so it was natural for CBG to take them, even if they weren't a great player or fit (see Anderson). If they were the best of our bad options and we were the best of their bad options, then so be it. Relationships like that are destined to fail. 

One thing for sure he better not be getting “another year” because next year should not count with so many new players...no more second chances, start overs, or do overs. He needs to win next year or he is out. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

With regard to these transfers, you have to wonder how good these guys are when they couldn't cut it in P5 so they came here. We needed depth given the circumstances, so it was natural for CBG to take them, even if they weren't a great player or fit (see Anderson). If they were the best of our bad options and we were the best of their bad options, then so be it. Relationships like that are destined to fail. 

What reason do we have to expect that any of the new transfers Gregory brings in will fare any better than the old ones you say he already misfired on? With there basically being free agency this off season for talent, USF is not a destination spot for any quality transfers.

If Kelly keeps Gregory, I am sure Gregory will fill the squad with the best of whoever wants to come here, and he will struggle to put the pieces together (again), will likely misfire on a few of the transfers (again), run an incompetent offense (again) and will finish without a winning conference (again) record for the 12th straight season, and for the 15 of last 16 seasons he has coached.

In Year 5 he needs to make the NCAAT, and he much further away from that than he was after his peak here - the CBI championship, which is a long ways away from the NCAAT and from where the program is today.

 

Edited by bjef4844
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave Glaser said:

Would hate to see it end now for Brian Gregory.

Is this a player coup or a coach cleaning house?  If it is a coup you would think MK knew something.  If he didnt then our athletic issues are far deeper than a coach or an ad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An offer out today from USF to JUCO Terry Roberts. Skilled guard at Florida Southwestern State - which used to be USF Fort Myers campus. He has some solid offers already, including Wichita State. He’d be a good get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

What reason do we have to expect that any of the new transfers Gregory brings in will fare any better than the old ones you say he already misfired on? With there basically being free agency this off season for talent, USF is not a destination spot for any quality transfers.

If Kelly keeps Gregory, I am sure Gregory will fill the squad with the best of whoever wants to come here, and he will struggle to put the pieces together (again), will likely misfire on a few of the transfers (again), run an incompetent offense (again) and will finish without a winning conference (again) record for the 12th straight season, and for the 15 of last 16 seasons he has coached.

In Year 5 he needs to make the NCAAT, and he much further away from that than he was after his peak here - the CBI championship, which is a long ways away from the NCAAT and from where the program is today.

 

I agree it is no excuses next year. To be fair, he was taking on transfers as bodies. He needed guys to be here even if they weren't a great fit. He inherited a dumpster fire and hasn't quite turned things around. I'm disappointed because I wanted his tenure to end with some stability and a winning foundation in place. Hopefully he can figure out a way to make this work. I still haven't written off next season, respectably if Durr, Murphy, and Chaplin return. They can make up a decent core we can build off of. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Caleb Murphy is listed as a PG. I think incoming recruit Trey Moss is listed as a PG. X was listed as a PG. Is it possible they knew X wasn't gonna play much? Could that be a factor in X's decision to transfer? X had a good year though, I'm surprised as everyone else.

Edited by Johnny G Lyon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I agree it is no excuses next year. To be fair, he was taking on transfers as bodies. He needed guys to be here even if they weren't a great fit. He inherited a dumpster fire and hasn't quite turned things around. I'm disappointed because I wanted his tenure to end with some stability and a winning foundation in place. Hopefully he can figure out a way to make this work. I still haven't written off next season, respectably if Durr, Murphy, and Chaplin return. They can make up a decent core we can build off of. 

He did inherit a dumpster fire and the guy should get all the credit in the world for taking that dumpster fire to 24 wins in less than 24 months. The guy is a great fireman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share



×
×
  • Create New...

It appears you are using ad blocking tools.  This site is supported through ads.  Please disable in order to enjoy full access to The Bulls Pen.