• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

46 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

OK... I was an extended family member to the USF softball program for a while. Even my actual family is divided on the state of the program. This was many years ago, but I got to know Ken well during that time.

Ken is one of the best minds the game has to offer in my opinion. The dude would run trick plays that had good coaches (Lisa Fernandez if I recall) yelling at their players when they didn't fall for it. He wanted them to throw the ball to third for instance, they didn't, coach got mad.

From what I know, there are players that went through the system that love him, there are also those that hate him. There are some in between. On of his haters bothers me. Girl gave her heart and soul to the program and when she walked off the field for her last game, she cut ties completely. I can't explain that. I would also say that from the era that I was involved in, probably more left with a sense that he was a good coach, but not their cup of tea than those that left super happy. Heintz leaving was a big blow to the program in my mind, she was the balance. Whether or not he's a player's coach now, I think he got the job somewhat through a coup because the players wanted him. Nothing he did, I think he had another offer and was leaving and the players did whatever they could do to get the old coach to retire and him the job.

22 year old me felt like I knew a little bit, he treats different players differently. Some say favoritism, but to me it looked more like psychology. Strong mental players got tough treatment or silent treatment. Weaker players got coddled. Seemed like he was treating everyone by what they needed to be their best, the problem is that it looks like favoritism and breeds resentment.

I personally think that he is a huge competitor and USF can't compete with the big dogs, so he uses the National Team scratch that itch. He loves USF, but it wouldn't shock me if he has pulled back a little. Softball unfortunately is now a rich-kid sport. These girls are playing travel ball 52 weeks a year, all over the country. These SEC schools (that he's recruiting against) have all of the money and the "prestige". UF fields a team somewhere around 1996ish and immediately is successful. It's all about $$. Meanwhile Ken is running a top-25 program on an intramural field for decades. Unfortunately, I think it's like all USF sports, when we get a special player (Nevins, Triner, Ellis), we can be pretty good. Those players aren't lining up to come to USF for whatever reason. I am not sure if he can recruit better than he currently is. If he had his current facilities in 2000-ish, when really the whole SEC was just getting going in softball and he already had a proven winner, there is a chance he could have sustained that success back then and stayed at the top of the sport, but just like football being relegated to the AAC, it's hard when kids want to be a part of something that USF can't provide.

The irony is that he could probably win multiple WCWS championships in the right program, but that same program probably wouldn't put up with some of his antics. He's probably the best USF is going to get and USF is likely the best place for him as he faces very little scrutiny here.

@CousinRicky and you get on me about my long responses?

52 minutes ago, Orlando Bull said:

OK... I was an extended family member to the USF softball program for a while. Even my actual family is divided on the state of the program. This was many years ago, but I got to know Ken well during that time.

Ken is one of the best minds the game has to offer in my opinion. The dude would run trick plays that had good coaches (Lisa Fernandez if I recall) yelling at their players when they didn't fall for it. He wanted them to throw the ball to third for instance, they didn't, coach got mad.

From what I know, there are players that went through the system that love him, there are also those that hate him. There are some in between. On of his haters bothers me. Girl gave her heart and soul to the program and when she walked off the field for her last game, she cut ties completely. I can't explain that. I would also say that from the era that I was involved in, probably more left with a sense that he was a good coach, but not their cup of tea than those that left super happy. Heintz leaving was a big blow to the program in my mind, she was the balance. Whether or not he's a player's coach now, I think he got the job somewhat through a coup because the players wanted him. Nothing he did, I think he had another offer and was leaving and the players did whatever they could do to get the old coach to retire and him the job.

22 year old me felt like I knew a little bit, he treats different players differently. Some say favoritism, but to me it looked more like psychology. Strong mental players got tough treatment or silent treatment. Weaker players got coddled. Seemed like he was treating everyone by what they needed to be their best, the problem is that it looks like favoritism and breeds resentment.

I personally think that he is a huge competitor and USF can't compete with the big dogs, so he uses the National Team scratch that itch. He loves USF, but it wouldn't shock me if he has pulled back a little. Softball unfortunately is now a rich-kid sport. These girls are playing travel ball 52 weeks a year, all over the country. These SEC schools (that he's recruiting against) have all of the money and the "prestige". UF fields a team somewhere around 1996ish and immediately is successful. It's all about $$. Meanwhile Ken is running a top-25 program on an intramural field for decades. Unfortunately, I think it's like all USF sports, when we get a special player (Nevins, Triner, Ellis), we can be pretty good. Those players aren't lining up to come to USF for whatever reason. I am not sure if he can recruit better than he currently is. If he had his current facilities in 2000-ish, when really the whole SEC was just getting going in softball and he already had a proven winner, there is a chance he could have sustained that success back then and stayed at the top of the sport, but just like football being relegated to the AAC, it's hard when kids want to be a part of something that USF can't provide.

The irony is that he could probably win multiple WCWS championships in the right program, but that same program probably wouldn't put up with some of his antics. He's probably the best USF is going to get and USF is likely the best place for him as he faces very little scrutiny here.

Also thanks Orlando for the different perspective on the situation, I don’t really follow softball outside of the posts on here and I enjoyed the read.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

5 hours ago, puc86 said:

@CousinRicky and you get on me about my long responses?

The difference is I read that one because it isn't an every post occurrence .

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

Not to mention the use of punctation and some insight

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Not to mention the use of punctation and some insight

Idk that one paragraph was pretty long

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Some people appreciate consistency 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,676
  • Days Won:  108

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

Idk that one paragraph was pretty long

Some people appreciate consistency 

The length of your postings and sentences are consistent.  Your positions? I kid, I kid.