• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Are we really complaining about the job this guy has done here?   This sounds suspiciously like the clamoring for Jose's head by a few here and there

Once the waters are filled with chum and the feeding frenzy is at full tilt it sometimes gets a bit hard to decipher what your supposed to be attacking because everything starts to look like a meal. We need Football or basketball to start clearing the water for us.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

Once the waters are filled with chum and the feeding frenzy is at full tilt it sometimes gets a bit hard to decipher what your supposed to be attacking because everything starts to look like a meal. We need Football or basketball to start clearing the water for us.

You messed up.  There's a period in there

• Haha 1

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Are we really complaining about the job this guy has done here?   This sounds suspiciously like the clamoring for Jose's head by a few here and there

I'm not clamoring for his job, we could certainly do a lot worse.

My only point is that the guy that as a National USA Coach should be able to pull in higher recruiting classes and be able to at least compete in Regionals now and again, imo.  But maybe Softball is like Football, if you are not P5 then you can only go so far.

56 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I'm not clamoring for his job, we could certainly do a lot worse.

My only point is that the guy that as a National USA Coach should be able to pull in higher recruiting classes and be able to at least compete in Regionals now and again, imo.  But maybe Softball is like Football, if you are not P5 then you can only go so far.

He has.  14 trips to Regionals in his time here with 2 Super Regionals and a CWS appearance

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

He has.  14 trips to Regionals in his time here with 2 Super Regionals and a CWS appearance

The last Super Regional was when we went to the World Series 9 seasons ago.  We're good enough to get to the Regionals but don't have much luck in going deep into the tournament.  I think what everyone is saying is that we are doing "ok" and can say we have a "winning program", but are not understanding why, with an "elite" coach, we aren't in the "elite" class of teams that make it consistently to the Super Regionals and beyond.

I'm wondering if it would help if CKE concentrated his coaching efforts on our team and not his other one.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

11 minutes ago, Ricky the Bull said:

The last Super Regional was when we went to the World Series 9 seasons ago.  We're good enough to get to the Regionals but don't have much luck in going deep into the tournament.  I think what everyone is saying is that we are doing "ok" and can say we have a "winning program", but are not understanding why, with an "elite" coach, we aren't in the "elite" class of teams that make it consistently to the Super Regionals and beyond.

I'm wondering if it would help if CKE concentrated his coaching efforts on our team and not his other one.

I am by no means a college softball expert, but I would highly doubt that there are many mid-major programs out there that have had near the continued and sustained success that USF has experienced over Eriksen's tenure. It should be noted that he did inherit a program that was in really good shape from Hildred Deese (USF's only other coach - 1976 to 1996). CKE has 1 losing season out of 23 seasons. A .660 winning percentage and a .679 conference winning percentage. 6 conference titles. Over the last 8 seasons he has made the NCAA tournament 6 times with 5 regional appearances and 1 College World Series appearance. Also keep in mind that softball is not "fair" in the seeding and USF typically has to go on the road to play at FSU in the Regional round, despite frequently being one of the top 25 teams in the country.

Why in the world would we want to destabilize the most successful and consistent scholarship sports program at USF? 2 coaches in 45 years.....that is awesome! 

• Upvote 3

Guest Jonesy Bull
2 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Yeah, I get what you are saying, 14 trips to the Regionals is pretty **** good.  That's why I said we could do a lot worse than CKE.

Its just that 2 Super Regionals and one CWS appearance where we were swept, out of 14 Regionals, is not the best ratio of "getting to the next level".  I'm not poo poo'ing his accomplishments.  He is been way better than average for an AAC school.  I guess I just have unrealistic expectations of being a little better than that with his credentials.

But hey its Softball.  They do a lot better than most of our other sports programs.

Since 1982 there have been exactly 2 non p-5 schools win the Softball CWS ...... TWO .   The last was 1998.   There have been 6 runner ups.   The last was in 1994.

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,069
  • Days Won:  56

The issue, just like baseball, is that when we get to a regional, it's always at UF, FSU or Miami, with the deck stacked against us before we even step on the field. In order to advance, you're likely going to have to beat the home team TWICE.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  1,031
  • Content Count:  7,493
  • Days Won:  10

These teams keep being the home teams because they are better than us, consistently.  Do their coaches have better abilities?

I'm not calling for CKE's head, here.  He has allegiance to the school.  I'm questioning, based on the rumors I'm hearing, that we have potential to be better.