• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An On-Campus Stadium, is never coming to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

1. I live in Orlando and was living here when this all went down.

2. Your article completely agrees with what I said. They were offended they were not offered $$$ from the new video board, so they built a crappy stadium with huge deficit spending.

Whatever point you are trying to make is wildly incorrect.

My only point is my original one that they felt they were not valued as the main renter of the stadium and wanted to resolve the issue not having a place to play during the renovations so they felt forced to build a stadium and did not do so because they felt doing so was in and of itself a great idea.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

All this being said about ucf we, probably conveniently dismiss their fanbase. I think their stadium probably does provide that "we own it" "our home" vibe but...their fans display interest. They back that team, they fill the stadium. It would be very very sad if...USF had an OCS and couldn't fill it. Yep, maybe if we start fielding some winning teams/seasons things might change?? One step at a time...  Personally, I don't like always waiting for next year or..the next big thing basically, due to my age. Putting things off after a certain life number starts to look pretty nut's. Just the way it is. I march to the old saying, 'Man plans God laughs".  So.....let's kick this thing in the ass USF and get some things going sooner rather than later.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

All this being said about ucf we, probably conveniently dismiss their fanbase. I think their stadium probably does provide that "we own it" "our home" vibe but...their fans display interest. They back that team, they fill the stadium. It would be very very sad if...USF had an OCS and couldn't fill it. Yep, maybe if we start fielding some winning teams/seasons things might change?? One step at a time...  Personally, I don't like always waiting for next year or..the next big thing basically, due to my age. Putting things off after a certain life number starts to look pretty nut's. Just the way it is. I march to the old saying, 'Man plans God laughs".  So.....let's kick this thing in the ass USF and get some things going sooner rather than later.  

I think you meant as long as they are winning they fill the stadium...just like any other program.

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think you meant as long as they are winning they fill the stadium...just like any other program.

Ah...I knew you knew what I meant.......(is this my ex-wife)      BUT, they weren't going gangbusters last season and they still had good crowds. I think this season old Gus will field a very competitive team. He didn't come to the G5 to field a loser. Be interesting to see the product and the response from their fans.  They do pretty well hyping their program and fans. Maybe because there's nothing else to do in Orlando...😉

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

13 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Ah...I knew you knew what I meant.......(is this my ex-wife)      BUT, they weren't going gangbusters last season and they still had good crowds. I think this season old Gus will field a very competitive team. He didn't come to the G5 to field a loser. Be interesting to see the product and the response from their fans.  They do pretty well hyping their program and fans. Maybe because there's nothing else to do in Orlando...😉

They were still above .500 and bowl bound plus they are still riding the wave of their double digit winning seasons.   Let them have a couple losing seasons and see what the stadium looks like

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,076
  • Days Won:  2

16 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

They were still above .500 and bowl bound plus they are still riding the wave of their double digit winning seasons.   Let them have a couple losing seasons and see what the stadium looks like

You have to be really, really bad to have one losing season, let alone multiple losing seasons in the AAC.  I think UCF is at a point where .500 is probably the bottom of the barrel for them.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

14 minutes ago, jg233 said:

You have to be really, really bad to have one losing season, let alone multiple losing seasons in the AAC.  I think UCF is at a point where .500 is probably the bottom of the barrel for them.

Yet we have mastered it.   Point was that if/when they have couple losing seasons, then we will see if the interest remains the same

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

47 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

This. We’ve seen what a few sub par years does. 

1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

We will be keeping  👁️  on them for sure.                                                                                        BUT...what if they WIN??  That will screw up the entire doom and gloom scenario. It would be just like ucf just to stick it to us...

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

The caveat UCF has is that they've had sustained enough success that even a decade of struggle seasons will still bring in fans. My UCF grad brother would probably still buy some season tickets to save his spot, just likely wouldn't drive from Tampa as often to see the home games, and that likely would require them to play super terribly poor. He even attended many of the games when they were staring 0-12 in the face a few years ago and knew it was coming (granted, then they were still riding high off the Fiesta Bowl year so fans were hopeful they wouldn't go 0-fer again).

They've at least reached the point where they could have some really HoltzStrongian years where watching games are painful, and likely the locals would still show up, take the kids to a few games, etc. That plays into not having the same competition in sports as Tampa Bay does (esp since Magic games don't interfere until later in the season and MLS is winding down).

When I briefly attended UCF 20 years ago (yikes, realization I'm old now), I think in the 2 years I was there, I think I only attended 2-3 games in 2002, their first year in the MAC. Team was decent, but I distinctly remember feeling at those games like I sometimes feel at Ray Jay, regardless if we are winning or losing. I think USF has a ton better gameday experience now than UCF did in 2002, but when I went to the 2008 USF-UCF game with my brother, we set up the tailgate at 7:30am and even in enemy territory, it felt different. It felt the same way it felt when I visited Michigan State, UF, and FSU. Walking to the stadiums felt different than it does at RJS. Hard to explain, but there is no denying that is one facet of an OCS we won't have until we have it.

All those points aside, RJS is still a badass stadium that's easy to get to, is comfortable, and can carry a good vibe, especially when exciting and winning. It's just different. If RJS and the campus were closer, I'd never want an OCS and I don't think anyone else would either. But at this point, I'm happy that at least our off campus stadium is the one it is, and not the Citrus Bowl of the early 2000's. I'd take an OCS any day if built right, but will accept what we have and just hope that the team is competitive and can build and sustain success at this point - because winning seasons drown all of this out.

• Upvote 1