• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recap of yesterday’s football press conference

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

Nice article - I agree with CJS, the spring game was always a bigger deal at Ray Jay

Interesting that he did not try to convince his starting QB or one of his top running backs to stay

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

41 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

Nice article - I agree with CJS, the spring game was always a bigger deal at Ray Jay

Interesting that he did not try to convince his starting QB or one of his top running backs to stay

It’s like a marriage, if they want to leave then leave...their heart will never be fully in. Further, that RB dude was so high maintenance that it was probably a happy day for CJS. 

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  8

39 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s like a marriage, if they want to leave then leave...their heart will never be fully in. Further, that RB dude was so high maintenance that it was probably a happy day for CJS. 

I guess I am more surprised with the statement applying to McCloud as opposed to Ford 

It seemed like JM was a team first guy with no baggage.  Whether out of trust or lack of other options, CJS started him in 7 of 9 games.  

To let him transfer without even a single word otherwise, puts me more in Puc’s corner, in that 2020 was just as much a mess in the coaching ranks as it was on the field.

Hopefully, like everything else in 2020, the USF Football Season was just an aberration 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

9 minutes ago, bowman1 said:

I guess I am more surprised with the statement applying to McCloud as opposed to Ford 

It seemed like JM was a team first guy with no baggage.  Whether out of trust or lack of other options, CJS started him in 7 of 9 games.  

To let him transfer without even a single word otherwise, puts me more in Puc’s corner, in that 2020 was just as much a mess in the coaching ranks as it was on the field.

Hopefully, like everything else in 2020, the USF Football Season was just an aberration 

I think CJS knew what was coming in was clearly better than what JM offered. I have no problem at all with him not begging an average QB on his best day to stay. Further, I sure JM saw the writing on the wall that he would not be the starter next year...indeed he may have not even been 2nd string. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,510
  • Days Won:  422

8 hours ago, bowman1 said:

Love JM and hope he does great in AZ but out of all the other healthy, viable options here last year, the only one still around was a true freshman then. Him going to UA was a win-win for him and the team. If CJS thought that JM was going to be a huge factor in 2021, he wouldn't have brought in Williams AND McClain .... 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

9 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think CJS knew what was coming in was clearly better than what JM offered. I have no problem at all with him not begging an average QB on his best day to stay. Further, I sure JM saw the writing on the wall that he would not be the starter next year...indeed he may have not even been 2nd string. 

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Love JM and hope he does great in AZ but out of all the other healthy, viable options here last year, the only one still around was a true freshman then. Him going to UA was a win-win for him and the team. If CJS thought that JM was going to be a huge factor in 2021, he wouldn't have brought in Williams AND McClain .... 

The thing that is in question is why start JM almost every game if he quite clearly wasn’t the answer? How was it not abundantly clear at some point earlier in the process? And if it’s a throw away year where you are just trying to figure out what you have wouldn’t it be more evident and wouldn’t you learn more by starting a greater variety of QBs? Especially ones that you may leave on your roster the upcoming season.

Last season we looked to be as much a rudderless ship as we did one that lacked talent and failure to have a plan is a plan for failure. Maybe there was in fact a perfect storm of issues that made winning any games against an FBs team impossible but it certainly looked like we could have made better decisions that impacted wins and the future. Just because someone decides to throw away a year and skate by doesn’t mean it was necessary and that nothing fruitful could be accomplished. 

Hopefully we do in fact see the improvement this coming season but that doesn’t change the fact that we chose to waste last season, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the smaller class next season will drag this “rebuild” on for the foreseeable future.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

44 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The thing that is in question is why start JM almost every game if he quite clearly wasn’t the answer? How was it not abundantly clear at some point earlier in the process? And if it’s a throw away year where you are just trying to figure out what you have wouldn’t it be more evident and wouldn’t you learn more by starting a greater variety of QBs? Especially ones that you may leave on your roster the upcoming season.

Last season we looked to be as much a rudderless ship as we did one that lacked talent and failure to have a plan is a plan for failure. Maybe there was in fact a perfect storm of issues that made winning any games against an FBs team impossible but it certainly looked like we could have made better decisions that impacted wins and the future. Just because someone decides to throw away a year and skate by doesn’t mean it was necessary and that nothing fruitful could be accomplished. 

Hopefully we do in fact see the improvement this coming season but that doesn’t change the fact that we chose to waste last season, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the smaller class next season will drag this “rebuild” on for the foreseeable future.

To answer your question...Covid and injuries...that was the primary driver last year of keeping JM in the helm...my guess is things should stabilize and it will most likely come down to Williams and Fortin and Williams eventually starting once the season kicks off in my opinion....

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

47 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The thing that is in question is why start JM almost every game if he quite clearly wasn’t the answer? How was it not abundantly clear at some point earlier in the process?

Maybe he was the best one that was consistently available? I have heard several great coach use the phrase, "the best ability is availability" 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

To answer your question...Covid and injuries...that was the primary driver last year of keeping JM in the helm...my guess is things should stabilize and it will most likely come down to Williams and Fortin and Williams eventually starting once the season kicks off in my opinion....

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Maybe he was the best one that was consistently available? I have heard several great coach use the phrase, "the best ability is availability" 

Maybe you guys our right and CJS was simply fortune’s fool and there was really only one QB available 7 out of 9 games but it certainly looked like we were, since we obviously were not trying to win, trying to develop JM. That he is now with another team and we made no attempts to keep him certainly calls into question the purpose of the last year. If the only other option is a true freshman, why not get him some more game experience if you know JM is not your future? 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

Maybe you guys our right and CJS was simply fortune’s fool and there was really only one QB available 7 out of 9 games but it certainly looked like we were, since we obviously were not trying to win, trying to develop JM. That he is now with another team and we made no attempts to keep him certainly calls into question the purpose of the last year. If the only other option is a true freshman, why not get him some more game experience if you know JM is not your future? 

It doesn't call into question of the purpose of last year...I'll clear the white noise...we played last year for experience...for the players and the coaching...JM was the best available most of the time...either due to contact tracing or injuries...simple as that...that true freshman was hurt at multiple points last year...I know in the Houston game he was injured and Cinci he may have gotten hurt as well...not sure on that point though and I think he was part of the contact tracing at some point during the season on top of it...If I were a betting man and Fortin wasn't affected by Covid and injuries, he would have been our starter last year...