• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gus Malzahan to USF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,462
  • Days Won:  422

40 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I have been ever since I went to your favorite school - Florida College (hehe).

Who says Im not!

Oh **** ,,,,,

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

On 12/15/2020 at 11:50 AM, CousinRicky said:

I saw this article and wondered if a certain someone had taken up youth football.  Only difference is this guy acknowledged that he did it.  Okay, I'm just stirring the pot just so you know.

fb569c3b1ae7cc504a9f2d6784e015ef

Youth football coach Gerrel Williams, who was caught on video striking one of his players in the helmet twice during a game, is facing criminal charges in Georgia...

Interesting story. Not sure how I feel about the entire incident with the coach. He owned it. He's been forced to leave his job for it. However the parents accepted the apology and said nothing else needs to be seen here, so why is the coach being charged criminally? 

In some cases (and it shouldn't be this way, but it is as many of us that grew up poor realize), your coach is the last line of defense between juvenile detention/jail for some of these kids and their tough love on the field is necessary. It's an interesting conversation to be had - however it will ultimately end up with the side of society that believes we're too tough on our kids (until those same kids are in jail for saying FU to society's laws).

Hope the coach lands on his feet for outright owning his actions (which you never see really see today)... although I bet many people think this guy probably needs anger management, therapy sessions, etc.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Interesting story. Not sure how I feel about the entire incident with the coach. He owned it. He's been forced to leave his job for it. However the parents accepted the apology and said nothing else needs to be seen here, so why is the coach being charged criminally?

I think the OCSO made it pretty clear why ....

The Osceola County Sheriff's Office along with our local state attorney's office have reviewed this case and the decision has been made that charges for child abuse will be filed, regardless of parent's decision not to press charges. The actions of this person are despicable and there is zero tolerance when it comes to the abuse of a child."

I think some cases may be blown out of proportion but don't see it here. Hadn't looked at this story before now and had no idea the size differential and the force of the blow. For reasons you listed, I hope he lands on his feet also but the authorities would have been negligent if they hadn't filed some sort of charges ....... and ******* A he needs some sort of anger management work but no problem seeing that in place of any time served.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

56 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The Osceola County Sheriff's Office along with our local state attorney's office have reviewed this case and the decision has been made that charges for child abuse will be filed, regardless of parent's decision not to press charges. The actions of this person are despicable and there is zero tolerance when it comes to the abuse of a child."

I think some cases may be blown out of proportion but don't see it here. Hadn't looked at this story before now and had no idea the size differential and the force of the blow. For reasons you listed, I hope he lands on his feet also but the authorities would have been negligent if they hadn't filed some sort of charges ....... and ******* A he needs some sort of anger management work but no problem seeing that in place of any time served.

Those that typically say there’s nothing wrong with this change their tune when it’s their own child.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Those that typically say there’s nothing wrong with this change their tune when it’s their own child.

We heard from the mother and she accepted the apology of the coach and did not wish to press charges so doesn’t that shoot a large hole in that theory.  I miss old school coaches and embrace tough love but I thought this was over the top due to the force and age of the kid, he deserves to be charged IMO.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

We heard from the mother and she accepted the apology of the coach and did not wish to press charges so doesn’t that shoot a large hole in that theory.  I miss old school coaches and embrace tough love but I thought this was over the top due to the force and age of the kid, he deserves to be charged IMO.

That’s why I said “typically” and not always. Who knows the mom may have issues as well...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,832
  • Days Won:  67

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Who knows the mom may have issues as well...

Who knows, maybe she heard what the son did or said to the coach and felt it was justified.  Hard to tell but the coach was way the hell out of line. 

You don't know what kind of relationship the parents had with the coach so can maybe understand them not wanting to go the legal route with this, but there's no way a law enforcement officer can write what happened off ...

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

On 12/20/2020 at 10:32 AM, Triple B said:

Same reason they charge husbands for abuse when the spouse doesn't want to press charges. Because it needs to be done.

• Upvote 1