• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

McCloud will be your starter next year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 hour ago, DJBulls said:

All the qb's will compete for the starting spot...you didn't see enough from the other qb's to give you an indication they can beat McCloud out because there was a quandary of injuries and covid related factors that kept them from getting enough snaps during the season...the coaching staff took pretty much the entire year to make a determination of who the starter would be and my guess is there will be a competition this off-season as well...

I know y'all want this open competition going into next year, like yesterday's performance didn't matter, however, McCloud will be the presumed starter throughout the offseason, and going into next year.  That is what people are not getting their minds wrapped around.  People still think it will be an anything goes open competition all offseason, with McCloud, at best on equal footing with the other QB's.  He isn't.  He's a step ahead.  The coaches value performance and he had the best performance of the year by any QB.  By far.  Wrap your head around the fact that McCloud is the USF Bulls starting QB, and will be for the foreseeable future, unless he stinks it up next year, or someone beats him out (unlikely based on current roster).  If he makes any progress whatsoever, he won't be unseated.  

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

I'd give his chances a medium to moderate...MAYBE?? 

Maybe Trevor Lawrence can work with him this summer?? Wait !! we have Pat White...? 

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

If the JM we saw yesterday is the JM in 2021 then I’m all for it, however, it’s too early anoint him on one good game.  Need to see consistency.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,478
  • Days Won:  3

As of now, it’s his job to lose in the off-season. I think a full spring with everyone will put McCloud on a shorter leash than expected and allow the other QBs to get up to speed.

If he plays like he did against UCF, I would be happy. My question for everyone is this: does this final game against UCF show that these coaches are capable of player development?

My opinion is yes, both sides looked much better this game. We still had special team issues, but that FG wasn’t going to win us the game. Some of the playcalling was too cute imo. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  20,937
  • Days Won:  38

29 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Need to see consistency

There was consistency but in the other direction.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

20 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Start coming to terms with that in your minds.  They are not going to bring in a 3 star freshman to replace him at QB.  It's not happening.  Not after throwing for 404 yards.  He has earned credibility with the coaches.

You might as well make peace with the fact that McCloud is your quarterback (1). Unless USF signs a 4 or 5 star QB on signing day, McCloud will be your QB next year, and frankly, he deserves to go into next year as the presumed starter.

We have no one on our current roster who can consistently beat him out. (2) He has limitations, but he did have a 9-2 TD to INT ratio this year, as well as far and away the most yards of any QB this year with 1,341.  If the rest of the roster is upgraded, McCloud can be a serviceable long term answer.  I believe he has 3 years left, since this year did not count against eligibility.

Get the fact in your head that there are no 5 star QB's awaiting in the wings ready to take over as soon as they step on campus.  McCloud will be your starter going into next year, and frankly, he deserves it.  Will he finish next year as the starter, who knows, but opening day next year he will trot out with the offense.

1. It's hard to argue with this because Jeff Scott loves him some McCloud. There is definitely a connection they have, justified or not. 

2. Based on what evidence? Have you seen more of Noah Johnson and Cade Fortin than we have? 

I'll just say that I dont want to get excited about one game. I heard from a UCF guy that they were missing 8 players on defense, mostly starters? Idk how true that is, but if McCloud only has one good game and it's all from behind against backups, let's just say that he STILL hasn't proven that much. The only thing hes proving is he can compete for the job. If we want a bowl game, let's hope we find better. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

23 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

As of now, it’s his job to lose in the off-season. I think a full spring with everyone will put McCloud on a shorter leash than expected and allow the other QBs to get up to speed.

If he plays like he did against UCF, I would be happy. My question for everyone is this: does this final game against UCF show that these coaches are capable of player development?

My opinion is yes, both sides looked much better this game. We still had special team issues, but that FG wasn’t going to win us the game. Some of the playcalling was too cute imo. 

I'd be more tempted to agree with the player development position if our defense was better. Charlie Strong was fired because the offense was a joke. The defense was actually getting a bit better under him. Where did that defensive progress go this year with coach Scott? The secondary looked WORSE and the Dline was non existent. 

The only development seen was from WRs and RBs imo. 

• Topic Count:  118
  • Content Count:  6,459
  • Days Won:  28

I still like Noah Johnson better. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think anyone has anything against McCloud personally. If he continues to play as the same high level as we saw against UCF I cannot imagine anyone will complain. 

If he reverts to his inability to  move the offense we need to look at other guys.

Edited by usfgrad84