• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball Prediction Contest: Bulls vs. Florida College

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,505
  • Days Won:  422

Mike, y'all may want to make some kind of rule about, if you want to change your mind, just post a new prediction, specifically saying at the beginning that this is a revised entry. You can't be expected to go back and see if anyone changed their prediction after you logged it,

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  143

Just now, Triple B said:

Mike, y'all may want to make some kind of rule about, if you want to change your mind, just post a new prediction, specifically saying at the beginning that this is a revised entry. You can't be expected to back and see if anyone changed their prediction after you logged it,

totally agree. Something like

"7) ALL CHANGES to any predictions prior to the game being played must be communicated in the form of a new post in the thread. Changing your post and not indicating it will result in using the prediction which earns the LEAST amount of points. "

I think that would stop people from sneaking in an edit (not that I am accusing anyone of doing it)- and then being able to claim that either the original or the new prediction are what we should use. Basically we are eliminating (for a screen name) the use of multiple guesses. I've seen other contests where people used multiple screen names to get a second or third bite of the apple.

Again-- not saying that anyone here is doing it but setting rules in place to avoid it is what rules are for.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

A rule for edits is probably a good idea to help the score keeper. I remember getting tripped up by late (but timely) edits during score keeping last year.

With this game's results, I'm going to go with my gut from now on and not make any updates after my initial guess. I can't believe I would've been on top with that first guess!

I try to be around at the time the game starts to lock the thread so changes are not possible.

But it would be a pain to constantly have to chase down people changing predictions without a new post. On the flip side-- if your first guess works out better than the revised one-- that is effectively two bites of the old apple.

Simple solution again-- is to post revisions-- perhaps also quoting the original guess.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MikeG said:

I try to be around at the time the game starts to lock the thread so changes are not possible.

When you first create a new topic there looks to be where you can set a date/time for it to lock. I don't see, though, where that can be added after it's created ...... but maybe I'm missing it. Wouldn't be that difficult to set up a new contest thread with the lock feature and then move the Replies there from the original one.

46 minutes ago, Triple B said:

When you first create a new topic there looks to be where you can set a date/time for it to lock. I don't see, though, where that can be added after it's created ...... but maybe I'm missing it. Wouldn't be that difficult to set up a new contest thread with the lock feature and then move the Replies there from the original one.

If you want to see if you can get it to work--- be my guest. I'm still trying to get a working spreadsheet for this new contest as I have nothing from any of the previous people. So it is all from scratch

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MikeG said:

If you want to see if you can get it to work--- be my guest. I'm still trying to get a working spreadsheet for this new contest as I have nothing from any of the previous people. So it is all from scratch

I'll see if I can set it up on another board but won't move any posts until you look at it.

Mike, here's the new contest thread for URI if you want to take a look at it .... https://www.thebullspen.com/topic/154880-basketball-prediction-contest-bulls-vs-rhode-island-saturday/