• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

The Reason Skip Holtz Lost @ USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,481
  • Days Won:  3

7 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

You must be young.  I remember that crap idea from the '70s.  And not the temperature.

I just remember Skip saying it, and us losing every game at the end by a score. He burned it into my brain. I wasn’t born until 87

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,426
  • Days Won:  25

8 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Why does this seem eerily recent...

Up by 13, under 4 minutes... Memphis

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

17 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

I just remember Skip saying it, and us losing every game at the end by a score. He burned it into my brain. I wasn’t born until 87

I've grown to think "bend don't break" is synonymous with "play scared so the loss is moral victory". In the modern era of QB and defenseless player safety, defensive players and coaches need to do whatever it takes to suffocate the ability of the opponent to move the football. Good defense finds ways to frustrate the opponent. Letting your opponent have some success and hope they falter on their own defies anything competitive . "Bend don't brake" becomes "give them an inch and they take a foot". It just doesn't work anymore maybe it never did.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,217
  • Days Won:  422

20 minutes ago, pascobull said:

I've grown to think "bend don't break" is synonymous with "play scared so the loss is moral victory". In the modern era of QB and defenseless player safety, defensive players and coaches need to do whatever it takes to suffocate the ability of the opponent to move the football. Good defense finds ways to frustrate the opponent. Letting your opponent have some success and hope they falter on their own defies anything competitive . "Bend don't brake" becomes "give them an inch and they take a foot". It just doesn't work anymore maybe it never did.

If it never did, they still wouldn't be doing it. Reality is that it probably works more times than it doesn't but the times it doesn't are amplified exponentially ....

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If it never did, they still wouldn't be doing it. Reality is that it probably works more times than it doesn't but the times it doesn't are amplified exponentially ....

Given the scoring nature of football any defensive philosophy can claim this so it doesn’t really matter if it works more often than it doesn’t it matters how it compares to other philosophies (I honestly have no opinion on if it does or does not).

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,614
  • Days Won:  108

51 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Given the scoring nature of football any defensive philosophy can claim this so it doesn’t really matter if it works more often than it doesn’t it matters how it compares to other philosophies (I honestly have no opinion on if it does or does not).

I skipped by and had to hit the back button on the browser.  WHHHHAT???

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, CousinRicky said:

I skipped by and had to hit the back button on the browser.  WHHHHAT???

I just know that there are a lot of biases that would lead someone to believe that this could be worse than it actually is ie it could possibly get used more in those situations, people remember the times it cost them more than when it helped them and the recency of an event;  I guess I haven’t ever thought to study the matter I just know that anecdotal evidence doesn’t always pan out when held to empirical rigors but sometimes it does.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,700
  • Days Won:  6

Didn't Skip screw up the recruiting of the Griffin twins somehow?  Weren't they set to come to USF and then something happened with Skip and their recruiting?

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

27 minutes ago, USFRaider said:

Didn't Skip screw up the recruiting of the Griffin twins somehow?  Weren't they set to come to USF and then something happened with Skip and their recruiting?

Not sure but if so this is the reason we lost to c in 2017, he was still screwing us even a couple coaches later.  

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I'll give you two guesses but you are only going to need one - recruiting. Skip was and is able to recruit the talent needed to success in lower level conferences, but not at the level needed to compete long term at USF. Once the roster resembled more of his recruits and less of CJL's he couldn't compete.

Give the guy some credit though - with talent (CJL's team) he was able to field some impressive wins early on. In a 4 game stretch he had wins at Miami, against Clemson and at Notre Dame. Maybe the most impressive 4 game stretch in program history.

Lost to UCONN in between, he was lucky as hell at the U and at ND, but regardless I will give him some credit for that stretch.