• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Reason Skip Holtz Lost @ USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I know I'm really diving back, but I have questions. This may take quite some time to get the complete answers as to why Skip Holtz failed here. Maybe nobody cares either. What makes it tough to understand is how he was successful everywhere else but terrible here. I'm not trying to bring up argumentative points but to really understand why. Was it a Skip Holtz issue? Was it a USF issue? I remember the football team having issues with their APR score and teetering on penalties...was that a factor?

Looking at Skip Holtz's coaching record, He seems to have a winning record everywhere but USF? Why?

holtz.JPG

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

He had a few gems but also a lot of duds when it came to recruiting. Also his in game management was terrible. Look at how many close losses he had. He coached timid and the players played timid. No killer instinct. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think losing 5 or 6 games every single year is really a success. I know it seems like a success with how our season is going this year but I don't think 5 or 6 losses every year is really a success.

Edited by Big_Hairy_Bull

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

3 minutes ago, BiggTipp said:

I know I'm really diving back, but I have questions. This may take quite some time to get the complete answers as to why Skip Holtz failed here. Maybe nobody cares either. What makes it tough to understand is how he was successful everywhere else but terrible here. I'm not trying to bring up argumentative points but to really understand why. Was it a Skip Holtz issue? Was it a USF issue? I remember the football team having issues with their APR score and teetering on penalties...was that a factor?

Looking at Skip Holtz's coaching record, He seems to have a winning record everywhere but USF? Why?

holtz.JPG

It was a reactionary hire and he was hired to be the complete opposite of CJL which not everyone responded to and he probably felt compelled to take to an extreme, we decided to focus on academics and he had to have people that qualified be rejected by an arbitrary board and this was by far the biggest stage he ever competed on and maybe it wasn’t the best fit for him (we will see if he ever moved up again).

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, Bullrush33 said:

He had a few gems but also a lot of duds when it came to recruiting. Also his in game management was terrible. Look at how many close losses he had. He coached timid and the players played timid. No killer instinct. 

In all fairness to him we handcuffed his recruiting and it’s hard to be ambitious when you are taught that we fire people for that, heaven forbid he be perceived as powerful.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

If I remember correctly,  we had five losses by less than one score in 2012. I remember thinking that our defense just could not get a stop under 2 mins. could have changed his perception here a little bit. Cosh's defense was rough. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,429
  • Days Won:  3

We lost so many games by less than a touchdown, always with like 2 minutes left too.

I honestly think he could've succeeded, it was just so a drastic change from Leavitt's persona to Skip's.

People say he couldn't recruit a QB but It makes me wonder if Asiantii Woulard would've stayed committed had we not fired Skip. Granted Asiantii's career kind of crumbled but it seemed like his constant transferring of programs and stuff messed with his head, at least he could handle a snap and throw a tight spiral unlike Matt Floyd.

The biggest nail in the coffin was Chris Cosh. Had Skip hired a decent DC in 2012 instead of Cosh who knows what would've happened...

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 10.18.46 AM.png

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

He had ****** assistant coaches. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

5 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

If I remember correctly,  we had five losses by less than one score in 2012. I remember thinking that our defense just could not get a stop under 2 mins. could have changed his perception here a little bit. Cosh's defense was rough. 

Being in the stands and seeing the other team get the ball with under 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter within 7 points was excruciating. I remember screaming at DBs to play closer, they were literally 8-10 yard cushions and they'd dink and dunk down the field, but at the perfect pace so we'd have like under 2 minutes to make another TD scoring drive and we'd never get there. Prevent from winning indeed.

As for Holtz, good dude. I think overall it was a perfect storm of recruiting missteps and coaching decisions that just didn't pan out in the Big East level of play. I could see him getting another shot somewhere again in the AAC or MWC, but he hasn't done enough at LA Tech honestly to really warrant those jobs yet, he had a good 10-3 season but otherwise has been meh. I don't think he's the strongest assistant hirer either.

• Upvote 1