• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Shuts Down College of Education

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

39 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

The rude and disruptive students aren't the problem.  They've always existed and they're usually the ones that need the schools the most.  It's the absurd amount of testing and the increased expectations with decreased resources.   

Disruptive students and lack of consequences is a big problem at struggling schools. I know disruptive students have always existed, but their numbers are increasing. I’ve seen teachers get hit, spit on, etc and pretty much no consequence for that action. The lack of respect from students, parents, and district personnel impacts teachers and causes them to leave the profession. Trust me I agree with you the amount of testing is absurd as well as the lack of resources. I love working with some of the more challenging students, but see why so many people wouldn’t want to do it. 

Edited by Rex Havoc

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Rex Havoc said:

Disruptive students and lack of consequences is a big problem at struggling schools. I know disruptive students have always existed, but their numbers are increasing. I’ve seen teachers get hit, spit on, etc and pretty much no consequence for that action. The lack of respect from students, parents, and district personnel impacts teachers and causes them to leave the profession. Trust me I agree with you the amount of testing is absurd as well as the lack of resources. I love working with some of the more challenging students, but see why so many people wouldn’t want to do it. 

What about the funding challenges and increased spending on charter schools? Also the way charter schools siphon off students. Education needs to be re-evaluated and made more of a priority. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

14 hours ago, Cornada said:

Wi doont kead now stinken teashers 

Funny...I saw the topic heading and immediately that same thought/phrase came to mind. Hmm? Prob doesn't say much for you and I ??? 😏

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Dying profession

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  3,435
  • Days Won:  19

An interesting action by the University in response to an area of concern that has been hotly debated on how best to move forward.  This has been something trending this way for years and now is coming to a breaking point, not only at USF and Florida but nationwide.

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2018/08/09/enrollment-is-down-at-teacher-colleges-so.html

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/fewer-americans-are-majoring-in-education-but-will-students-pay-the-price-2018-02-14

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

12 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

What about the funding challenges and increased spending on charter schools? Also the way charter schools siphon off students. Education needs to be re-evaluated and made more of a priority. 

There needs to be changes with funding because a large amount of money gets wasted on things teachers don’t need or want. There are also a lot of district level positions that could be eliminated. 

You can’t blame parents for sending their kids to good charter schools. I know not all are great, but the good ones have more parental involvement. If you’re a low income worker and your local school isn’t successful, it’s a way to get your kid out of that mess. 

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  3

As a graduate of the USF College of Education, for the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be a Bull. This is disheartening.

How do we go from having the fifth largest College of Education in 2009, to completely closing it down in 2020?

Admins are blaming a "decline in enrollment due to a decline in the desire in education as a career path," well WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS? Maybe instead of closing down the College, figure out what you are doing wrong as managers by asking students, faculty, etc. what you can do the prevent running into the ground like you did. "Oh well, let's just close it. Who cares if 37% of Pasco County teachers earned their degree from this program anyways. Who cares."

It's clear that at one point, students (such as myself) did want to be in the program and were proud to graduate from it. What ARE YOU doing as admins to make this not a reality anymore? I have half a mind to start a petition but it's probably worthless because budget cuts in education is always the solution no matter what.

Anyways, R.I.P. USF College of Education. Thanks for my bachelor's degree. My internship experience was one of the best experiences of my life.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

7 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

As a graduate of the USF College of Education, for the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be a Bull. This is disheartening.

How do we go from having the fifth largest College of Education in 2009, to completely closing it down in 2020?

Admins are blaming a "decline in enrollment due to a decline in the desire in education as a career path," well WHY DO YOU THINK THIS IS? Maybe instead of closing down the College, figure out what you are doing wrong as managers by asking students, faculty, etc. what you can do the prevent running into the ground like you did. "Oh well, let's just close it. Who cares if 37% of Pasco County teachers earned their degree from this program anyways. Who cares."

It's clear that at one point, students (such as myself) did want to be in the program and were proud to graduate from it. What ARE YOU doing as admins to make this not a reality anymore? I have half a mind to start a petition but it's probably worthless because budget cuts in education is always the solution no matter what.

Anyways, R.I.P. USF College of Education. Thanks for my bachelor's degree. My internship experience was one of the best experiences of my life.

From the article, it sounds like they are going to focus on the graduate portion and feel there are other avenues for bachelor's level programs.   I hear your pain.    Are you currently teaching?

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

11 hours ago, DELdaBull said:

Dying profession

But should it be? I think we’ll have a new found appreciation for teachers after the pandemic