• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rebuilding

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

37 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

The UCF one year turnaround that gets thrown around on this board is a complete fallacy. In the 2 seasons prior to their 0-12 season UCF went a combined 21-5 and 15-1 in the AAC. There was talent that was mismanaged by O'Liar - he had quit without ever leaving (sound familiar?)

It was less of a "miracle" turnaround as it was actually a one-season aberration, where their (1) proactive AD was quick to facilitate change by taking their (2) existing talent and coupling it with a (3) new coach and (4) QB. We have 1 of those 4 today - maybe.

Feel free to to copy and paste this response any time someone brings up the UCF "miracle" turn around.

What if there are more examples? Would they all be because of unique situations? And if so why do we not aim to make our situation more unique instead of the path that typically leads to more terming than turnaround? If the whole team needs to be your players just to get back to where the team should have been when you got here the only thing you are building to is a bad path that’s ceiling is mediocrity. Positive change is possible day one in any situation and the quicker you can implement it the faster the path to success. There is nothing that says year one you have to fail, year two you get back to where you started and year three you get to finally break even and year four having recruited every single person left on the roster you can finally demonstrate the reason you were hired. The entire “process” idea is a fairy tale people tell in order to feel better about sustained failure and it flys in the face of facts and reason.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The entire “process” idea is a fairy tale people tell in order to feel better about sustained failure and it flys in the face of facts and reason.

What also flies in the face of facts and reason is not acknowledging that this season is like no other in the modern history of college football ...

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Triple B said:

What also flies in the face of facts and reason is not acknowledging that this season is like no other in the modern history of college football ...

I’m over this season, it is what it is and hopefully we at least see things that can point to winning at some point but claiming that if all goes swimmingly we can maybe get back to where we should have been last year in three years is an absurd position that cannot be tolerated.

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I’m over this season, it is what it is

Finally ..... Your discontinuation of this discussion will be appreciated by all.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Finally ..... Your discontinuation of this discussion will be appreciated by all.

You know that I’m rather whimsical and more than likely will change my mind while trying to watch the Temple game, right? (Hopefully we look more like a team that has had a single practice or even seen a football before and I will not have to face the public shaming that comes with a pivoting as it clearly is horribly upsetting to me).

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

You know that I’m rather whimsical

Of all the adjectives I can think of to describe you, whimsical is not among them ....

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Of all the adjectives I can think of to describe you, whimsical is not among them ....

That’s because you are thinking of the 1st definition and not the 2nd...

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

That’s because you are thinking of the 1st definition and not the 2nd...

If the 2nd has anything to do with delusional, you're right ....

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I didn't know there was a second definition, had to look it up, but it definitely works. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Easy Veruca Salt. What you are describing are aspirational goals, but that needs to balanced with managed expectations. Otherwise, you will be constantly disappointed and run the risk of making irrational decisions, that will ultimately fail to meet your need for instant gratification.

Veruca2.png

If something isn’t instantly gratifying it shouldn’t be a path worth taking, why learn to eat cilantro if it makes you vomit if there are plenty of other foods that aren’t vomit inducing? You no more have to forego good food in order to make gross food more palatable than you do have to learn to embrace losing in order to believe taking a underachieving 4 win team to 6 wins in three years is an achievement. The majority of people that take this long path to “rebuilding” end up fired and it’s for good reason and it’s actually not completely unheard of to do better than the person you replaced after they got fired.

• Upvote 1