• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is It Time to Think About Moving Down to the FBS Level - Seriously?

Voters Decide  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Well, with the College of Education shutting down and the university needing to cut 8.5% from the overall budget, any hope of getting incremental financial support for the athletics department from the university is gone. At some point I expect programs to begin being cut.

To be Title IX compliant the elimination of programs would be likely come on the men's side, with soccer the most prominent one to go.

I don’t think we can drop any sport...are we not at the minimum to be considered D1? 

5 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

ECU, Tulsa, Houston and Wichita State are all only funding 7 men's sports programs while USF is at 9, so there are at least 2 sports we could theoretically cut.

Men's soccer is an obvious choice because the AAC barely supports it today (Cincy dropped men's soccer earlier this year), and then the next program should be the one that has the highest cost-to-revenue ratio, not including football or basketball. 

Ahh...Ok. Was not sure if I had heard that right or not. I am not a soccer fan but that would be unfortunate as I believe it’s one of the older sports in school history and has had success. If we were to drop for lack of production (other than FB) baseball would be on top of the list. I have to say that I have no problem with the University dropping education. It simply is not feasible financially and has had too few majors. Just a sign of the times. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

4 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

A lot has been invested into the baseball program over the last 10 years so would hate to that money essentially be thrown away by ending the program. But it is likely one of the highest cost programs in the athletic department and its elimination could stave off the elimination of multiple other programs.

I know the across the board cuts made by Kelly temporarily delayed any decision around program cutting, but the coronavirus might just accelerate the inevitable. The athletic department and their meager resources likely won't be able to sustain all sports, so they will either need to look to eliminating some programs or reclassify to a lower level to minimize expenses if they want to keep all existing programs.

Just dump it all for football, MBB, WBB, and W soccer, and W track and field (cross country). 

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

Yeah, I think you are right. Funnel the majority of the funding into football, MBB and WBB, then keep the programs with the lowest expense base to maintain any NCAA minimums for athletic programs, and Title IX requirements.

I'd hate see baseball, soccer, golf and others go but this is what happens when an AD can't grow the pie.

No one really cares about the other sports. Focus will be needed eventually. 

7 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

We could try and save the other sports by moving them down to the low DI level - like the ASUN (see below) which I have mentioned before. Travel expenses and coaching salaries will be much, much lower.

Maybe the AAC would be open to allowing USF to stay as a football only member.

ASUN.jpg

Does any other university have a similar model? 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

22 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

We could try and save the other sports by moving them down to the low DI level - like the ASUN (see below) which I have mentioned before. Travel expenses and coaching salaries will be much, much lower.

Maybe the AAC would be open to allowing USF to stay as a football only member.

ASUN.jpg

I agree moving down some of our programs would save $. Conferences should have the majority of their members within driving distance. We have teams flying all over the place costing a ton of money. 

Edited by Rex Havoc

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, brybull1970 said:

Yeah, I'd rather see them move down than cut any of the mid-tier sports like baseball and soccer. Too many positives in moving down not to seriously consider it.

It’s definitely better then eliminating the teams. 

13 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Agreed, and if the AAC won't keep them then puc might get his dream of USF going independent.

If the P5 breaks away from the NCAA going independent may be the only option relative to fan interest. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

57 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

No one really cares about the other sports. Focus will be needed eventually. 

Let's not say no one. I follow golf and soccer a bit but mostly because I've gotten to know the coaches.

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Let's not say no one. I follow golf and soccer a bit but mostly because I've gotten to know the coaches.

Yeah the parents and a handful but the reality is they don’t have a following that is measurable. If it means more $ for the revenue sports then I say cut them.

Edited by NewEnglandBull