• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ND Message Board

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  0

The year we beat ND, the only other teams we beat that year were Ball State, Florida A&M, UTEP, and Syracuse.

We were a bad team that year. We don’t need amazing to win on Saturday.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,845
  • Days Won:  67

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

I fully realize that we probably measure by different metrics but ND went 8-4 in the regular season that year with the other three losses being to Stanford, USC and Michigan

Good point, they played in the National Championship game the following year, I wish we measured bad that way.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,008
  • Days Won:  38

This was our last big win and it was almost a decade ago.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It was our luckiest win in program history 

I agree, those ND red zone turnovers were about as improbable as anything I've seen since.

The other lucky examples i can think of are a big drop off in level of competition:

Tulsa (2018) (Tulsa 2014 honorable mention)
Nevada (2012)
Illinois (2018)
SMU (2014)

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, pascobull said:

I agree, those ND red zone turnovers were about as improbable as anything I've seen since.

The other lucky examples i can think of are a big drop off in level of competition:

Tulsa (2018) (Tulsa 2014 honorable mention)
Nevada (2012)
Illinois (2018)
SMU (2014)

That’s a very good list for on your part Pasco and very accurate. I remember all of those games well.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s a very good list for on your part Pasco and very accurate. I remember all of those games well.

The irony of the lucky games is that they seem to occur in same years as the greatest unlucky. That 2012 Cuse game reclaimed any luck acquired in Nevada. Smart people would call that reversion to the mean...TBP people would call that "expect USF to s*** the bed when it matters most" ...I'm a TBP people. 

16 minutes ago, pascobull said:

The irony of the lucky games is that they seem to occur in same years as the greatest unlucky. That 2012 Cuse game reclaimed any luck acquired in Nevada. Smart people would call that reversion to the mean...TBP people would call that "expect USF to s*** the bed when it matters most" ...I'm a TBP people. 

Yes, and that ND year we go 5-1 and then lose 6 straight to miss a bowl. That includes  losing to Rutgers where they had a 4th and 9 with 2 min left and converted when the WR caught a deflected pass while laying on his back. So yes, things evened out in the luck department. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

23 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes, and that ND year we go 5-1 and then lose 6 straight to miss a bowl. That includes  losing to Rutgers where they had a 4th and 9 with 2 min left and converted when the WR caught a deflected pass while laying on his back. So yes, things evened out in the luck department. 

Was that 2011 or 2012 rutgers? both were so incredibly unlucky and I'll saw both in person. See the 3:16 mark below (Mark Joyce gets smoked on a spin move by Jamison). I bet most of the people on this board remember that one cause we had to watch it on espn many times that night.

Just now, pascobull said:

Was that 2011 or 2012 rutgers? both were so incredibly unlucky and I'll saw both in person. See the 3:16 mark below (Mark Joyce gets smoked on a spin move by Jamison). I bet most of the people on this board remember that one cause we had to watch it on espn many times that night.

The game was at Rutgers and it was raining. Pretty sure it was 2011 cause we got that losing streak. It was Mohammad Sanu who made the amazing catch. 

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The game was at Rutgers and it was raining. Pretty sure it was 2011 cause we got that losing streak. It was Mohammad Sanu who made the amazing catch. 

Yea that was bad. Blowing a two score lead in 10 minutes and missing a chip shot field goal for the win. we were all in that end zone right behind the goal post so we saw that up close then Landy fumbling the game away in OT. Skip was a bad luck magnet. I'd love a few more shots at beating RU. I hope they get kicked out of the Big 10.