• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics Announces Social Justice Initiatives

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

47 minutes ago, Gismo said:

In college I volunteered at an after school program for a charter middle school where most students were living in government housing, the student demographic was about 80-90% minorities. So I’ve walked the walk and have witnessed the challenges in these communities first hand. I played basketball with the kids and went to a block party in a government housing project, to try to be a good role model for kids, some of whom had dads in jail. 

If these rioters and protesters wanted to help things they would be doing the same, instead they have a small army of rioters and they just harass businesses and other innocent people who are trying to live peacefully. 

If it was about really helping a community and not about just burning down capitalism, people would be willing listen. BLM the organization doesn’t have any solutions. Their solution is to just stir up hate along racial lines and raise money for democrat politicians. All of the money raised by BLM goes to Act Blue which is just a democrat fundraising group. It’s a purely political organization. They’ve collected hundreds of millions in donations and they could be building schools, resource centers, health clinics, funding free tutoring and job training programs, but they aren’t doing that. They are just a pass through to democrat campaigns.

And those who disagree with the violence and dislike the BLM organization because of it do care about these issues, but just disagree on the solutions, and are not going to support violent revolutionaries that will take this country down the path of tyranny. 

And people's political bias will just let this ride...it is incredibly concerning....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

15 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

The narrative that has been created is that if you don't full-throatedly support BLM and everything they want then you are a racist.

We are living in a time of extreme positions.

Agreed .....and the other end of that spectrum is if you use the term Black Lives Matter or the letters BLM you are in full support of Antfa, taking our guns away and wanting to overthrow capitalism .....

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but is there evidence out there that USF is in support of the organization, not just the movement?

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Agreed .....and the other end of that spectrum is if you use the term Black Lives Matter or the letters BLM you are in full support of Antfa, taking our guns away and wanting to overthrow capitalism .....

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but is there evidence out there that USF is in support of the organization, not just the movement?

What if they wanted to use the on the face of it innocuous phrase Make America Great Again and a MAGA sticker, would anyone be able to separate the phrase from Trump?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,476
  • Days Won:  422

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

What if they wanted to use the on the face of it innocuous phrase Make America Great Again and a MAGA sticker, would anyone be able to separate the phrase from Trump?

Nobody in their right mind would ever use that term, or those initials, again so a moot point ....... but an admittedly great try.

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Nobody in their right mind would ever use that term, or those initials, again so a moot point ....... but an admittedly great try.

So sometimes phrases can become more than their actual meaning when they are adopted by certain people or groups that act beyond just their catch phrase?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, TromBull12 said:

In a better world these same athletes shouldn't have to depend on being physically exceptional to get an education. 

America since its inception has been racist and violent. What makes the BLM any more so? Black on black crime isn't a thing. Neither is white on white crime, latinx on latinx, Asian on Asian...etc. Crimes happen in proximity. 

Let's not talk about a bundle of cells when America,  the richest nation in the world,  wont take care of the people who are here and treat them right.

You also can't talk about father-less homes without talking about the broken judicial system. The 'war on drugs' that preys upon communities of color and the social economically disadvantaged... You also should talk about father-less homes when you just got done complaining about abortion. 

"Whitey" has historically dirty hands. Read any history book that doesn't sugarcoat the story of our nation and stays away from "The southern apologist" strategy.  May I recommend "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. To think the 'blame' is solely based on percieved race and not actual immoral laws and government backed lynchings is astonishing. 

It's extremely sad that you aren't willing to listen to people who are showing you a perspective different from your own. It's entirely possible that the truth you know is only your truth because of where you focused your vision. 

I hope and pray you don't leave this earth on the wrong side of history with such anger and bitterness in your heart. America is finally opening its eyes and your guy reaction is to run away and hide, saying everyone outside of your community who doesn't think like you is wrong. And you'd rather give up something you spent 20+ years loving, than to change your perspective. That says a lot about you and those like you. 

So does the openness to other perspectives work both ways or you don’t have to be open to their perspective because you know that you are “right”? Because that sounds awfully similar to me.

Just now, brybull1970 said:

Its an important distinction - organization versus movement - but I'm not sure people so entrenched in their political beliefs see that nuance. And this is an issue that has been politicized, just like masks, mail in voting and peeing in public pools.

There are people apposed to peeing in public schools? Monsters!

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,834
  • Days Won:  67

16 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Good point Trips, I am wearing a Cowboys shirt today and I don’t support the organization but do support the movement.  In the end many colleges are supporting this group and I realized I don’t really care as long as we win.  GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Change needs to happen in all areas of society. When the black community protests for black on black crime, then I'll pay attention to the BLM movement... Until then, it's just politics being played out right before an election

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Just now, brybull1970 said:

How many black people need to be killed by the gunfire of other black people in Chicago for those black lives to matter?

whitney houston agree GIF