• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tennis question

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Ok so I don't watch much tennis or really any at all, but i'm trying to get into it as a I now have 5 year old step daughter who is becoming interested. anywho, I saw what happened to Novak Djokovic at the US open and I really need an explanation of this rule. From my perspective the official was not paying attention, which is probably a bad idea when on the playing surface with a professional athlete, and then gets hit. Then the athlete was disqualified from the tournament. What kind of ridiculousness is that. Is that the case in any other sports? Anyone paying attention to tennis? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

19 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Ok so I don't watch much tennis or really any at all, but i'm trying to get into it as a I now have 5 year old step daughter who is becoming interested. anywho, I saw what happened to Novak Djokovic at the US open and I really need an explanation of this rule. From my perspective the official was not paying attention, which is probably a bad idea when on the playing surface with a professional athlete, and then gets hit. Then the athlete was disqualified from the tournament. What kind of ridiculousness is that. Is that the case in any other sports? Anyone paying attention to tennis? 

I didn't see it, but didn't he hit the ball out of anger or something?

34 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I didn't see it, but didn't he hit the ball out of anger or something?

Here's the video. Apparently he had disputed some calls but this seems accidental and the immediate reaction seems that way as well. It's almost like a basketball player kinda reacts to a foul and then nonchalauntly flips the ball in a general direction and hits the ref not paying attention. I couldn't possibly seem that leading to an ejection 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,459
  • Days Won:  422

Seeing where the ball boy was and watching Djokovic watch the ball after he hit it, I don't think he meant to get the ball up where he did but he intentionally hit it in the direction of the linesman ...

Yeah, that is more than just flipping the ball towards a basketball ref and the sport of tennis like golf is supposed to carry some level of decorum.  It's probably the kid of thing that gets a warning if he hits the back wall, but since it hit the line judge in the throat he ends up defaulting.

Here is the rule from an article:

"In accordance with the Grand Slam rulebook, following his actions of hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the court or hitting a ball with negligent disregard of the consequences, the U.S. Open tournament referee defaulted Novak Djokovic from the 2020 U.S. Open. 

novak-djokovic-us-open.jpg

Djokovic, the No. 1 seed in the tournament, was trailing Pablo Carreño Busta, 6-5, in...

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Seeing where the ball boy was and watching Djokovic watch the ball after he hit it, I don't think he meant to get the ball up where he did but he intentionally hit it in the direction of the linesman ...

I don't think he intentionally hit the linesman, but he did intentionally hit it and it did hit her so he takes the consequences

31 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Yeah, that is more than just flipping the ball towards a basketball ref and the sport of tennis like golf is supposed to carry some level of decorum.  It's probably the kid of thing that gets a warning if he hits the back wall, but since it hit the line judge in the throat he ends up defaulting.

Here is the rule from an article:

"In accordance with the Grand Slam rulebook, following his actions of hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the court or hitting a ball with negligent disregard of the consequences, the U.S. Open tournament referee defaulted Novak Djokovic from the 2020 U.S. Open. 

novak-djokovic-us-open.jpg

Djokovic, the No. 1 seed in the tournament, was trailing Pablo Carreño Busta, 6-5, in...

My example was more about demeanor not intensity of strike. 

That's soft. Hitting a fan ok, but if your on that court pay attention. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

36a371f0-f253-11ea-bd64-bdc45d68f8b4

Fans of Novak Djokovic have questioned whether Roger Federer would have been...

I got it now, reckless and dangerous is ok, as long as you hit a kid and not the adult judge. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,459
  • Days Won:  422

56 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

I don't think he intentionally hit the linesman, but he did intentionally hit it and it did hit her so he takes the consequences

Under the rule listed above, hitting a ball dangerously or recklessly within the court or hitting a ball with negligent disregard of the consequences, it was definitely disqualifiable if they chose to invoke it .... and you see that he hit the first ball right to the ball boy so it's not like he didn't realize where he was on the court.

1 hour ago, BrassBulls12 said:

My example was more about demeanor not intensity of strike. 

That's soft. Hitting a fan ok, but if your on that court pay attention. 

That wasn't soft and she was paying attention.  She was standing at attention, looking down the line as she is supposed to be.   He screwed up and per the rule was defaulted.