• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conferences are shutting down: A10 and CAA

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  12,213
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

It is in Tampa too.

Kind of, I been playing hockey in the area of over 25 years. It is growing, but nothing compared to up north.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

It is in Tampa too.

It’s at a much different level up here. I would put it at the same level as college football in the south. It’s a part of our culture that is deeply ingrained. Playing on frozen ponds is a ritual for kids and adults. High school games get 3k and they don’t even have the best players. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it has been played in New England almost as long as it’s been played in Canada. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Guest Jonesy Bull
9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s at a much different level up here. I would put it at the same level as college football south. It’s a part of our culture that is deeply ingrained. High school games get 3k and they don’t even have the best players. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that it has been played in New England almost as long as it’s been played in Canada. 

Well thats true, especially at all the different levels of hockey that you have up there and the long history.  I get it.

Football will always be king in the South and hockey is not accepted in general in South with the exception of the island of Tampa where Lightning Hockey is super popular.  And youth hockey is growing here judging by the number of high schools that have teams now.....but it will never compare to the North.

2 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Well thats true, especially at all the different levels of hockey that you have up there and the long history.  I get it.

Football will always be king in the South and hockey is not accepted in general in South with the exception of the island of Tampa where Lightning Hockey is super popular.  And youth hockey is growing here judging by the number of high schools that have teams now.....but it will never compare to the North.

It is growing for sure.

4 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Agreed hockey has really grown in Tampa. It makes all the difference in the world to have a great owner. The Panthers, coyotes, and Hurricanes are not as lucky. I actually went the first Lightening game in team history at the old fairgrounds. Then saw the first game in the Trop before moving away. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Agreed hockey has really grown in Tampa. It makes all the difference in the world to have a great owner. The Panthers, coyotes, and Hurricanes are not as lucky. I actually went the first Lightening game in team history at the old fairgrounds. Then saw the first game in the Trop before moving away. 

Thats cool....the only other place in the South for hockey that is comparable would be Nashville.  The rest of the South could not care less....I love it.  Its a fun exciting Sport.

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Thats cool....the only other place in the South for hockey that is comparable would be Nashville.  The rest of the South could not care less....I love it.  Its a fun exciting Sport.

Huntsville,AL used to be a huge shot spot. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,341
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Jonesy Bull said:

University of Alabama Huntsville has been a powerhouse in hockey 

12 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

University of Alabama Huntsville has been a powerhouse in hockey 

They are good but far far far from a powerhouse. The UAH is in the WCHA which is the weakest of all of the hockey conferences. Further, the UAH dropped the sport this year but it was reinstated at the last minute. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

I don't believe anything was said about A10 football .....

So they don't play football?