• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

On Campus Stadium

Guest Sprtsfn627

They can take the buses USF provide if they don't have a car.  "20 min is too far" is a horribly lazy excuse.

I'm with TripleB...I'm excited to see everything else get upgraded...I'd love to see the upgraded Sun Dome  ;D

In case you don't know...I am a student.  I think Raymond James is a great facility.  The only things that will push me towards an on campus stadium is:

1. If it is done right

2. If RJS starts taking away from the home field advantage...bringing in Norte Dame for example...I was pissed to hear they are interested in giving them a home game  >:(

If the students are desperate for an on campus stadium...they should support the one they already have..the sun dome.  Personally, an on campus stadium shouldnt be just for the students...but for all USF fans and the community.

To be honest, the only people I have heard say that we NEED an on campus stadium are those in student government that want to make a name for themselves. Yeah, an on campus stadium would be great.  But right now...whats so bad about RJS?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

well, its true.. a lot of students on campus dont have cars.. if you were to move 20 min off campus doak campbell off campus, ben hill griffin 20 min off campus, or any other on campus stadium 20 minutes off campus, you'd see a sharp decline in student body attendance (e.g.- UM students and the orange bowl)

That's BS.  Only 4400 USF stu's live on campus.  It will take and apt dwelling stu 20 minutes plus to drive to a parking space on game day if there is attendance like UF or FSU.  Secondly, students are a large minority at the UF games.  If the stu's didn't go to the games, central FL redneck crackers would take there place.  20 minutes is a lousy excuse.  It takes 30 mins to get to Ybor or Channelside find parking and walk to whatever venue they plan to party at.  WEAK! WEAK! WEAK! is all I can say.

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

Who was speaking for the athletic department?

Doug

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  143

It takes 30 mins to get to Ybor or Channelside find parking and walk to whatever venue they plan to party at.  WEAK! WEAK! WEAK! is all I can say.

EXXXACTLY!!  I'm sure the same one's that whine about having to 'drive to the stadium' have noooooooooo problem getting their weekly (nightly??) rides into Ybor!!  Whether they live on campus, or if they're "commuters" from Pinellas!

Pathetic!

I'm sure they're also the same ones that would complain that USF atmosphere isn't the same as going to a UF or FSU game...    

WAKE UP!!  IT'S WHAT *YOU* -THE SUDENTS- MAKE IT!!  GET INVOLVED!  SUPPORT YOUR SCHOOL!!  SHOW SOME PRIDE!!

**edit:  eh...  I guess I'm just preaching to the choir here... those same folks will probably never see this - they're too busy reading a Gator or Nole forum...  

::)

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

I think the most interesting aspect of this is that the subject continues to get bandied about like there is some sort of in-favor-of-OCS against opposes-OCS sort of argument.  We would all like an OCS...but some of us take the long term view.

Seems to me that the hard, cold reality is (a ) we will continue to play at RayJ until it is unservicable and (b ) only after exhausting RayJ, will there be an OCS.

I just can't get my arms around the sense of desperation that it "has to be done NOW!".  USF has a stadium in place, but really does need to upgrade the other facilities before attempting the OCS.

And about that phenomenal student turnout that an OCS would guarantee....soon as I have a hard time getting basketball tickets, I'll listen to what you've got to say. USF can't even muster 2K students for an on-campus beer-is-available event, so I'm not signing off on the tens of thousands of students that would clamor of OCS seating.

Guest S.  Bien

Wooly,

I think the feeling in the athletic department is someday an on-campus stadium is a must, but it also must be a good stadium, and be justified.  However, before they tackle that endeavor they want to upgrade everything else that has to do with USF athletics.  Bloom outlined most of the proposed and expected improvements.  Once those are completed, probably by 2009, then expect the Athletic Department, and Administration to turn their efforts toward an on-campus stadium.  There's already been talk that if one was built, and this is guessing, it would be something slightly smaller than RayJay, they could expect at least 12-15 other events that would be interested in using the venue for other things like high school games.

Honestly, if this program can get back any type of consistent winning edge, and start getting to bowl games then I think an on-campus stadium is a no brainer.  Once you get season ticket totals to 25k and attendances consistently over 40k then it's automatic.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,730
  • Days Won:  3

Once you get season ticket totals to 25k and attendances consistently over 40k then it's automatic.

Yep...that's pretty much how I see it.  The stadium is back-burner for now, as we have to play catch up with our other facilities.

I'm just baffled by the sense of desperation. Almost like USF is doomed to failure if we don't do this immediately.  And I do realize that - when you look at it - that's the emotional slant, not the rational perspective.  

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

any ocs would have to be first class state of the art

not  a cheap piece of crap like ftu/ou/oc's proposed dump

Guest S.  Bien
any ocs would have to be first class state of the art

not  a cheap piece of crap like ftu/ou/oc's proposed dump

That's always been the position I've heard from Athletic Department officials, and Administration Officials.  They want something that's mostly concrete, that will stand the test of time, that can hold at least 50k, and can be multi-faceted for other events.

They want to get through this first big blitz, then the ocs will become the next big project.  Guarantee it.  By 2009, everything else should be completed or nearing completion then they will turn their attention to an ocs.  Hopefully at that time the football team will warrant it as well as seating for more like 60k.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

Perhaps it pays to live in another state.  I have heard for years from folks within the Departent that there is a desire to have an OCS at USF.  It has always been years off and I think as Wooly says, as RJS becomes a less than desirable option (and other things fall into place) you'll see it.

I have heard more outright disdain for the the concept on this board than I ever heard from anyone associated with USF.

I believe it will happen, but the time will be right and the wherewithall present.