• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Movie about Nick Schuyler and Will Bleakley

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Or that vast amount of people in this world that might be inspired by the human will to survive.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

...yet does not negate the pain of the family who probably suffers till this day. 

Right...no one said it did.  But there is more to the story than three people drowned.    I watched Black Hawk Down. Story of courage.  People died, in many cases valiantly in service to others.  

Anyway, you win. 

• Upvote 1

Did not know it was a contest...thought it was just a good debate...but whatever...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

25 minutes ago, Brad said:

Right...no one said it did.  But there is more to the story than three people drowned.    I watched Black Hawk Down. Story of courage.  People died, in many cases valiantly in service to others.  

Anyway, you win. 

Where exactly was the valiantly in service to others here. I see your underlying point, but this was a case where there was terrible decision making by everyone. Not trying to “win” (as you make a fair point) just thought it was a logical comment. 🤷‍♂️ I think a better example to make your point would have been the “Perfect Storm.” Both cases are similar and do focus on the will to survive...though no one did due to bad decisions. 

Will Bleakley acted extremely valiantly in service to the others.  In fact he dove underneath the capsized boat multiple times to retrieve items in need (life vests if I recall correctly) and to get food.  I think those that have read the book expect the movie to bring out the fact that Nick and Will were buddies since 6th grade or so and that Will acted courageously throughout.  Nick would also say he acted courageously as he held his fellow boaters near, sometimes until death or dementia intervened.  It's not a pretty story by any means, but there are positive lessons to learn and life, relationships and the human love for existence that can be celebrated.  No amount of grieving and denying history will bring the deceased back.

What bad or terrible decisions are you referring to?  The fact they tried to free the anchor in an unorthodox manner?  The fact they didn't have a beacon?  

I could be wrong but wasn’t weather a factor as well? To put the boat in that situation I would think a bad decision had to be made somehow.. Regardless, as you alluded to earlier, we all can decide if we would want to watch it. I will take a pass but I’m sure many others will choose to watch it. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
19 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I could be wrong but wasn’t weather a factor as well? To put the boat in that situation I would think a bad decision had to be made somehow.. Regardless, as you alluded to earlier, we all can decide if we would want to watch it. I will take a pass but I’m sure many others will choose to watch it. 

Yeah the weather wasnt good.  I think it was early Spring and even in Florida we get cold fronts, windy and rough seas.  Even the Gulf of Mexico the waters get pretty darn cold and hypothermia will happen easily that time of year.

For anyone that would like a refresher without reading the entire book:

20100225-tows-nick-schuyler-1-300x205.jp
WWW.OPRAH.COM

On February 28, 2009, four friends set sail with a cooler of sandwiches and beer for a day of fishing off the coast of Clearwater, Florida. Three days later, only one came home.