• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PLEASE READ - Final - Please Read

Guest Jonesy Bull
On 7/3/2020 at 9:59 PM, TheGreatOutlaw said:

Lets hope this is all over  with sooner than later and we can finally build a solid football program again.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer.  But not looking good AT ALL.

Another 7300 plus new cases yesterday in Florida. Even worse ICU Beds are now at or close to capacity and Deaths are now on the rise.

The situation in Texas and Arizona is just as bad.  

I dont see College football happening unless a major breakthrough on treatments and vaccines magically appear.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,986
  • Days Won:  469

We all need to lighten up.  Why self-inject the doom and gloom so early in the process?  Have we become so depressed, negative and cynical that we no longer hold optimism in our hearts for anything?  Seriously, there's a lot of gloom here.

I'm not picking at any one member, just the general "we're doomed" in every regard mantra on many topics.  

It used to be funny when one irreverent member would always post "Team X will destroy us!" for nearly every game.

I'm an unrepentant optimist.  Can we see how things play out instead of predicting our demise as fans, a CFB program, a city, a state, etc.?

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

Let me inject some perspective....We have an overwhelming amount of data of the virus now...cases are rising...but the IFR%  is dropping drastically...in addition to that, the hospitalization ratio continues to drop.  Also, the age group that will be playing has almost a ZERO probability of dying if they play...By the way I consistently get fed bed data from a CTO of a nationwide hospitals across the nation and Florida and they are not concerned at this point with Covid patients overrunning the bed levels throughout Florida...that being said, I do not think we should have fans at games or a very low level because of the folks in a given age group that would be more susceptible to being hospitalized or dying from the virus...At this point, I think it is too early to say they are going to cancel the season...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

Let me inject some perspective....We have an overwhelming amount of data of the virus now...cases are rising...but the IFR%  is dropping drastically...in addition to that, the hospitalization ratio continues to drop.  Also, the age group that will be playing has almost a ZERO probability of dying if they play...By the way I consistently get fed bed data from a CTO of a nationwide hospitals across the nation and Florida and they are not concerned at this point with Covid patients overrunning the bed levels throughout Florida...that being said, I do not think we should have fans at games or a very low level because of the folks in a given age group that would be more susceptible to being hospitalized or dying from the virus...At this point, I think it is too early to say they are going to cancel the season...

I don’t think the issue has ever been about player deaths. They may not die but they will be missing 2/3 weeks in the middle of the season which could lead to cancellations. Florida looks pretty grim. But you are right there is time. Does anyone know when practice starts? I thought it was next week but USF has said very little lately. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I don’t think the issue has ever been about player deaths. They may not die but they will be missing 2/3 weeks in the middle of the season which could lead to cancellations. Florida looks pretty grim. But you are right there is time. Does anyone know when practice starts? I thought it was next week but USF has said very little lately. 

Good point...

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

23 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Hey NEB, your in the college world. Has your university come out with any plan as yet? Sports? Campus? Don't know how bad NH has been hit?? Your input would be interesting if you dont care. Not comparing FL to NH  two diff worlds but, it gives some perspective as to the thinking as it relates to colleges around the Country.  

3 hours ago, BulledOver said:

Hey NEB, your in the college world. Has your university come out with any plan as yet? Sports? Campus? Don't know how bad NH has been hit?? Your input would be interesting if you dont care. Not comparing FL to NH  two diff worlds but, it gives some perspective as to the thinking as it relates to colleges around the Country.  

Yes. At UNH we are open but only about 1/3 of the classes are on campus...even those that are in class have to offer Zoom simultaneously as well. Students can decide to take all classes on line or face to face. My daughter is a sophomore and will take all on line. Right now both of the courses that I teach will be on line only. NH has not been hit too bad...our problem is when the Massholes cross over into our beautiful countryside but even that has not been bad. There has not been anyone under the age of 70 who has died from the virus in NH. However, everyone in NH has been vigilant in wearing masks...even teenagers. Further, vacations into other New England states (with one exception) has been limited due to specific rules. Overall, the state has done an excellent job in my opinion. Further, our Gov (Republican)...calls his own shots without federal interference and puts citizen health first and foremost. Of course there are many, many factors that make FL and NH different in terms of addressing the virus. 

Last, UNH has not announced anything about FB. One of the assistant ADs is a good friend of mine and he believes that if football happens it will only be conference games that can be bused to. However, he also thinks it is possible the conference could shut it all down within the next two weeks. UNH is usually in the top 25 for FCS schools and they are ranked 15 this year I believe. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes. At UNH we are open but only about 1/3 of the classes are on campus...even those that are in class have to offer Zoom simultaneously as well. Students can decide to take all classes on line or face to face. My daughter is a sophomore and will take all on line. Right now both of the courses that I teach will be on line only. NH has not been hit too bad...our problem is when the Massholes cross over into our beautiful countryside but even that has not been bad. There has not been anyone under the age of 70 who has died from the virus in NH. However, everyone in NH has been vigilant in wearing masks...even teenagers. Further, vacations into other New England states (with one exception) has been limited due to specific rules. Overall, the state has done an excellent job in my opinion. Further, our Gov (Republican)...calls his own shots without federal interference and puts citizen health first and foremost. Of course there are many, many factors that make FL and NH different in terms of addressing the virus. 

Last, UNH has not announced anything about FB. One of the assistant ADs is a good friend of mine and he believes that if football happens it will only be conference games that can be bused to. However, he also thinks it is possible the conference could shut it all down within the next two weeks. UNH is usually in the top 25 for FCS schools and they are ranked 15 this year I believe. 

Thanks for that it's interesting. Small state with a more functional/practical mindset so typically New England. See a problem-solve it and don't feed me any horse**** along the way. 

7 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Thanks for that it's interesting. Small state with a more functional/practical mindset so typically New England. See a problem-solve it and don't feed me any horse**** along the way. 

Unfortunately FL has so much more to deal with relative to tourists, seasonal citizens, and senior citizens. Also, it’s just so friggin large in terms of people. But yes, there is a huge cultural difference between FL and New England (and I am not talking politics 😀). To live there now is not for me but it will always be an attractive state for many 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jonesy Bull
On 7/9/2020 at 4:10 PM, NewEnglandBull said:

Unfortunately FL has so much more to deal with relative to tourists, seasonal citizens, and senior citizens. Also, it’s just so friggin large in terms of people. But yes, there is a huge cultural difference between FL and New England (and I am not talking politics 😀). To live there now is not for me but it will always be an attractive state for many 

I think New England is a very cool place in many ways.  There is alot of great things to like about it - beautiful country side, lots of fun outdoor activities, engaging people that have strong opinions (which I totally respect) but are generally pretty nice, reasonable, and open minded - with the exception of some obnoxious Boston sports fans.  But they win alot, so I guess its understandable to a point.  Not much different from Gator fan.