• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SOT: Student killed by falling goalpost

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I'm wondering something...

If all you guys still went to USF right now, do you think any of you guys would have rushed?

Probably not.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

If all you guys still went to USF right now, do you think any of you guys would have rushed?

I have in the past.  

I was ready to go over, then I saw what was happening and didn't want to get arrested.  That doesn't look too good on the bar application.  

If I didn't have all of that crap, I would have risked it.  

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Ugh, the worst example ever.  Common myth about this case.  She almost died from the third-degree burns received over 16 percent of her body, necessitating hospitalization for eight days, whirlpool treatment for debridement of her wounds, skin grafting, scarring, and disability for more than two years.  She offered to settle with McDonald’s for $20k but it was refused.  She ended up with a post verdict settlement after she won at a JURY trial.    Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants, P.T.S., Inc.

Sorry, I just hate seeing this example EVERY time someone talks about tort reform.  

Not to get off topic or anything....

zonald-you are a smart man that is not easily persuaded by nonsense and myths

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

ITS WHY YOU JUST SAY NO SPECTATORS ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. WHY HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE GOAL POSTS?  IF THE SPECTATORS WOULD OBEY THE LAW (NOT TRESSPASSING) THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE. THERE WOULD BE NO EXTRA COSTS FOR SECURITY FOR THE FIELD, FOR THE GOAL POSTS ETC. THEN USF COULD SAVE THAT EXTRA MONEY EVERY YEAR AND PUT IT TOWARDS AN ON CAMPUS STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BY EVEN ATTEMPTING TO RUN ON THE FIELD YOU ARE COSTING USF MONEY EACH AND EVERY GAME.

Oooh oooh.... wait I got it!! Let's tell our fans to remember that having trash cans at the RayJay costs money, and the people who empty them cost money to be paid. So we'll tell everybody they should take their trash home with them, then we'll save up lots of money and we won't cost USF that money!!!

No EVEN better! USF and the RayJay pay lawyers to be on their staff, and probably have insurance too in case fans fall over and die from a heart attack, or trip and break their nose on the stairs, or fall backwards out of their chairs.... let's just tell everyone not to have any accidents, so they never have to make insurance claims or pay any lawyers!!! We can save USF some money and build an on-campus stadium with it!!!

Moral of the Story: There's a "stick-in-your-ass."

I don't care what douchebags at what university were dumb enough to kill somebody while tearing down a goalpost. There are a million and one ways to keep fans from tearing down goalposts, and 999,999 of them involve making the fans happy too by allowing them to rush the field without touching the goalposts.

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Oooh oooh.... wait I got it!! Let's tell our fans to remember that having trash cans at the RayJay costs money, and the people who empty them cost money to be paid. So we'll tell everybody they should take their trash home with them, then we'll save up lots of money and we won't cost USF that money!!!

No EVEN better! USF and the RayJay pay lawyers to be on their staff, and probably have insurance too in case fans fall over and die from a heart attack, or trip and break their nose on the stairs, or fall backwards out of their chairs.... let's just tell everyone not to have any accidents, so they never have to make insurance claims or pay any lawyers!!! We can save USF some money and build an on-campus stadium with it!!!

Moral of the Story: There's a "stick-in-your-ass."

I don't care what douchebags at what university were dumb enough to kill somebody while tearing down a goalpost. There are a million and one ways to keep fans from tearing down goalposts, and 999,999 of them involve making the fans happy too by allowing them to rush the field without touching the goalposts.

First, your sophmorish points were already brought up and counter-pointed. Insurance pays some claims yes. Premiums skyrocket. as risks go up. The risks are higher if there are no policies in place to prevent students from being on the field. Allowing students on the field increases the risk that an injury may occur. In the Marshall game the lawsuits came from an on the field altercation not from goal posts. Having students on the field increases all kinds of risks. AND AND AND there is no way to control mob mentality once you have a large group of students past the restraining barrier, if they decided to go for the goal posts they would probably get them.

As for the "trash cans" example, that's just dumb and you know it. Some colleges like UF pays over $100,000 PER GAME for security.

Good quesiton Mag. Let me answer it this way......

In all the years I was at USF as an undergraduate we dreamed about having a football team. We dreamed how cool it woudl be to cheer our team onto victory. We dreamed about tailgating and what the team would do for school spirit. We talked about how great our recruiting base was. I even predicted we could possibly compete for a NC in ten years. We dreamed of winning the lottery and funding the 10 million we were trying to raise for a football program. Heck we probably dreamed about some cute cheerleaders on the sidelines of the games.

We never even THOUGHT about running on the field after our team won.

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

Ok...BUT if you were a student RIGHT NOW would you be thinking about it?

Ok...BUT if you were a student RIGHT NOW would you be thinking about it?

No, right now I wouldnt (I am still a student at USF  ;) ).

But at a big game with a bunch of Crown in me, sitting in the student section as the crowd rushes the field, I might think about it. But that doesnt make it right.

First, your sophmorish points were already brought up and counter-pointed. Insurance pays some claims yes. Premiums skyrocket. as risks go up. The risks are higher if there are no policies in place to prevent students from being on the field. Allowing students on the field increases the risk that an injury may occur. In the Marshall game the lawsuits came from an on the field altercation not from goal posts. Having students on the field increases all kinds of risks. AND AND AND there is no way to control mob mentality once you have a large group of students past the restraining barrier, if they decided to go for the goal posts they would probably get them.

As for the "trash cans" example, that's just dumb and you know it. Some colleges like UF pays over $100,000 PER GAME for security.

Well, smarty pants, you figured me out.

Except - you didn't. Every point I made was quite obviously dripping with sarcasm and condescension, and you must have missed the huddle. My "sophomorish" (sophomoric is what you must have meant to write) points were never intended to do anything but serve to mock the purportedly serious points you attempted to make.  

Essentially - I'll spell it out now: y-o-u-r...a-r-g-u-m-e-n-t...a-g-a-i-n-s-t...a-n...O-C-S...a-n-d...r-u-s-h-i-n-g...t-h-e...f-i-e-l-d...a-r-e-...i-n-a-n-e. Did you get all that?

If you "dreamed" about cheering your football team to victory, but never even "THOUGHT" about rushing the field, then your thinking was too provincial and your dreaming fell short of the awesome future our university hopefully will see...

I'm not so concerned about controlling mob mentality when we currently have no control over lack of mentality...

No, right now I wouldnt (I am still a student at USF  ;) ).

But at a big game with a bunch of Crown in me, sitting in the student section as the crowd rushes the field, I might think about it. But that doesnt make it right.

I'm really getting quite tired of you aloof conservative old folks who conjure stories up that feature drunken students looking to destroy everything in sight. This is just another small example. I attended four years of football games and was never drunk at one of them, and neither were the majority of my friends. You might have enjoyed "Crown" and "dreaming about cheerleaders" in your day (scary thought) but the majority of students are not drunken lunatics. Cry about why rushing the field is "risky," don't seek to falsely denigrate the students who want to do it.