• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

SOT: Student killed by falling goalpost

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

ITS WHY YOU JUST SAY NO SPECTATORS ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. WHY HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE GOAL POSTS?  IF THE SPECTATORS WOULD OBEY THE LAW (NOT TRESSPASSING) THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE. THERE WOULD BE NO EXTRA COSTS FOR SECURITY FOR THE FIELD, FOR THE GOAL POSTS ETC. THEN USF COULD SAVE THAT EXTRA MONEY EVERY YEAR AND PUT IT TOWARDS AN ON CAMPUS STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BY EVEN ATTEMPTING TO RUN ON THE FIELD YOU ARE COSTING USF MONEY EACH AND EVERY GAME.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

. I guess you don't expect a win over Crown College to result in a post-downing. Sad story.

Hell, people were running towards the goal posts  after we beat Ill St a few years ago.  What about beating them warrants it?

That's the problem, once several thousand (many drunk) fans hit the field, there's no telling what a few of them might do?

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I don't mind students rushing the field to celebrate the win with the team, its the ones that go towards the goalposts to make a name for themselves.  Leave the posts alone, join the team in the celebration at midfield.

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

ITS WHY YOU JUST SAY NO SPECTATORS ON THE FIELD OF PLAY. WHY HAVE TO DO ANYTHING TO THE GOAL POSTS?  IF THE SPECTATORS WOULD OBEY THE LAW (NOT TRESSPASSING) THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE. THERE WOULD BE NO EXTRA COSTS FOR SECURITY FOR THE FIELD, FOR THE GOAL POSTS ETC. THEN USF COULD SAVE THAT EXTRA MONEY EVERY YEAR AND PUT IT TOWARDS AN ON CAMPUS STADIUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BY EVEN ATTEMPTING TO RUN ON THE FIELD YOU ARE COSTING USF MONEY EACH AND EVERY GAME.

Right, that's reasonable.   ::) ::) ::)  Security would not be an issue if people didn't try to run onto the field?  So that's the ONLY reason they are there?  Interesting analysis.  

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

ITS WHY YOU JUST SAY NO SPECTATORS ON THE FIELD OF PLAY.

I've never in my life seen a place that has so many stick-up-the-ass viewpoints on rushing the field. I guess that's the perspective from fans of a team that has no history? I have no idea. Maybe it's just old Florida fogeyness.

Right, that's reasonable.   ::) ::) ::)  Security would not be an issue if people didn't try to run onto the field?  So that's the ONLY reason they are there?  Interesting analysis.  

Have you seen the "wall" of people they put down there? Would that be necessary if we never attempted to run onto the field? NOPE. The only reason they need that many folks is becuase of the students who might run onto the field. They didnt have that much security at the other end of the field did they?

Actually, Zonald, that's correct.  If there was no intention of rushing the field, there would be no need to have 100+ security guards lining the end zones.

I've never in my life seen a place that has so many stick-up-the-ass viewpoints on rushing the field. I guess that's the perspective from fans of a team that has no history? I have no idea. Maybe it's just old Florida fogeyness.

And I have never seen so many well educated college folks who dont see the potential liability issues involved with the running on the field thing. It has nothing to do with history. Sure your alma matter rushed the field this year becuase they have "history" (Their "history" has been that they SUCK and now they won a game and they go into a mob mentality).

That's another thing I dont get. Everyone says "We just want to run onto the field, we dont want to take down the goal posts". Have you ever seen mob mentality studies? There is NO WAY to control a mob of people once order breaks down. They often do things they wouldnt have thought they would do apriori. So sure now its "we just want to be on the field". What happens when we allow them to go on the field and the next thing you know a fight breaks out with a member of the other football team and one of our fans. How will the crowd react? What if the other team decides to join in and help their teamate?

Why worry about all of this? You put up a sign and a fence and you keep people out. That's an EDUCATED solution, not a "stick-up-the-ass" solution. Ask our fine attorneys on the board what damages will be like for that kid who was killed by the falling goalposts.  I can tell you they would put a nice chunk on one end of a stadium.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

I'm not even sure what the big deal is about rushing the field anyway?  Does that make you feel like you are a "somebody" for a few minutes?  Nobody even knows who you are amongst the other thousands!

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

I'm not saying people ought to rush the field or ought not to rush the field. What I am baffled by is the fact so many of you don't get that IT IS A PART OF COLLEGE FOOTBALL, and is going to happen from time to time.