• Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

brybull1970

Tampa Bay Times: USF working on new deal with hoops coach Brian Gregory

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

so that would probably mean an NIT Bid where who knows what would happen, but in this scenario you would want him fired?

I don't want him fired, I am just saying don't extend him now. I say extend him if he makes the NCAAT or makes a deep run in the NIT.

If he can do that when you consider the dumpster fire he took over, then that is an amazing job. Most good coaches can move a program up a notch or two but this would represent a monumental turnaround.

Edited by brybull1970

with that type of progression I would say a 2 yr extension should be extended

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

A few things to unpack here:

• He lost 6 straight to end the season, not 7 - you are correct but its a distinction without a difference
  • You said the key word: Optics - when then drives your decision making then you aren't the one making decisions; you are allowing others to drive decisions
  • The last part is nuanced so I will try not to over burden your simple brain - firing Strong after 2 years was the right thing to do because of how the team was trending and because the economic environment allowed for it; Gregory shouldn't be fired yet because he is not trending downwards, and even if he falls short of expectations this season the economic downturn has changed. And by "economic downturn" I mean we will likely have less revenue which means we will likely have less money to spend.

That's not being a hypocrite Friscobull, its called reading the terrain. If you don't understand the difference then you may want to get your money back from whatever educational institution you attended.

Your entire argument is silly, you are saying we could easily fire Strong after year 2 because the economic environment was better.  COVID or no COVID we are and were cash poor and it is odd that you don’t grasp that.  Optics are important, do you think our ability to attract a quality replacement may be affected when we fire a coach after only 2 years with a 17-8 record at USF?  Lastly, I am obviously a USF grad or I wouldn’t be wasting my time on this board, once again your failure to connect the dots is comical. 

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

I haven't seen it, hence me asking for clarification and/or context of why someone would say that would need to occur - particularly when he was responding to me. On face value it would seem kind of silly to assert firing a coach 5 months into his tenure, even if trying to further a strawman argument.

You have seen it and read it however you failed to retain it, that is the big difference between you and I.  I would be requesting some money back from your educational institution as well.  

2 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

Your entire argument is silly, you are saying we could easily fire Strong after year 2 because the economic environment was better.  COVID or no COVID we are and were cash poor and it is odd that you don’t grasp that.  Optics are important, do you think our ability to attract a quality replacement may be affected when we fire a coach after only 2 years with a 17-8 record at USF?  Lastly, I am obviously a USF grad or I wouldn’t be wasting my time on this board, once again your failure to connect the dots is comical. 

There is cash poor (2018) and even worse cash poor (2020) - the delta between the two is enough that it should give anyone pause on how cash is spent, so yeah the difference is material. You do bring up a good point that "rushing" to fire a coach who is 17-8 after 2 years maybe isn't a good optics, but to quote Jeremy Foley, "What should be done eventually, must be done immediately."

As far as you being a USF grad, based on the lunacy of your posts I assumed you went somewhere else. You're definitely an outlier.

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

There is cash poor (2018) and even worse cash poor (2020) - the delta between the two is enough that it should give anyone pause on how cash is spent, so yeah the difference is material. You do bring up a good point that "rushing" to fire a coach who is 17-8 after 2 years maybe isn't a good optics, but to quote Jeremy Foley, "What should be done eventually, must be done immediately."

As far as you being a USF grad, based on the lunacy of your posts I assumed you went somewhere else. You're definitely an outlier.

At a school like Florida, money is no object and he can respond much differently than a USF AD.  I attended when we were not a preeminent University, it appears from your serious lack of reading comprehension that you did as well.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

At a school like Florida, money is no object and he can respond much differently than a USF AD.  I attended when we were not a preeminent University, it appears from your serious lack of reading comprehension that you did as well.  

Think whatever you want to think. Back to the discussion.

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I don't want him fired, I am just saying don't extend him now. I say extend him if he makes the NCAAT or makes a deep run in the NIT.

If he can do that when you consider the dumpster fire he took over, then that is an amazing job. Most good coaches can move a program up a notch or two but this would represent a monumental turnaround.

So no extension in your opinion unless he meets your parameters

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

So no extension in your opinion unless he meets your parameters

Correct. As a prior poster said if he were to go .500 in conference and make a run in the conference tournament, then I think that would be an improvement, but would fall short of what the program should aspire for and deem successful.

So while I think it wouldn't warrant an extention its also not worthy of being terminated, in that scenario. 

Edited by brybull1970

7 hours ago, bcgruber said:

CBG has had pretty good success in the post season everywhere he has been.  I know the CBI isn't prestigious, but it is success, winning 4 NIT is success also.  He also had a couple of years of quality NCAA teams.  All this was done at several different schools. So he built them up and had success.  Just becasue he doesn't make the NCAA or NIT Final 4 this year would not constitute a firing

It wouldn't for most normal, reasonable people