• Join Today

Join today and reduce ads presented

brybull1970

Tampa Bay Times: USF working on new deal with hoops coach Brian Gregory

Posted (edited)

While I am not a Gregory fanboy, Joey does a nice job of calling out the delta between Gregory and Antingua and the progress made over the last 3+ years. Personally I'd like to see a functional half court offense, the winning of some games that matter and a finish in conference higher than 7th place before we make another Holtz blunder.

One interesting and brief excerpt from the article: "His program's great" said Kelly (clearly not grasping the meaning of the word great).

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2020/05/30/usf-working-on-new-deal-with-hoops-coach-brian-gregory/

Edited by brybull1970
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Crying 1

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

One interesting and brief excerpt from the article: "His program's great" said Kelly (clearly not grasping the meaning of the word great).

What did you expect? We have a Michael Kelly problem and that type thinking certainly illustrates it ....

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

While I am not a Gregory fanboy, Joey does a nice job of calling out the delta between Gregory and Antingua and the progress made over the last 3+ years. Personally I'd like to see a functional half court offense, the winning of some games that matter and a finish in conference higher than 7th place before we make another Holtz blunder.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2020/05/30/usf-working-on-new-deal-with-hoops-coach-brian-gregory/

I guess I am a little confused at the timing, I do think he did a good job rebuilding the program but not sure he is worthy of a new contract after last years performance.  I guess Kelly is gambling on him having a breakout year and he is able to secure him at a bargain, I hope the gamble pays off, we shall see.

• Upvote 1

“I think it’s great!“

3FE2AFFD-84C9-4299-8595-B14DB6F417FD.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Triple B said:

What did you expect? We have a Michael Kelly problem and that type thinking certainly illustrates it ....

Kelly fired Strong - a year too late - but he fired him, so I am done beating that drum. But, if he thinks our program is "great" then the bar for greatness has been significantly lowered. Now having said that, Gregory has done a great job putingt out the dumpster fire than Antigua left, and the news of the team's GPA is great.

For a program that hasn't finished higher than 7th in the AAC under Gregory in three seasons and hasn't made the NCAAT, let alone the NIT, great isn't a word that should be thrown around. If he really believe's that, I should suspect Heath to have the court named after him any minute.

Edited by brybull1970
  • Crying 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

I guess I am a little confused at the timing, I do think he did a good job rebuilding the program but not sure he is worthy of a new contract after last years performance.  I guess Kelly is gambling on him having a breakout year and he is able to secure him at a bargain, I hope the gamble pays off, we shall see.

Gregory has 3 years left on his deal and with a financial crisis looming for the athletic department, extending the guy now doesn't make alot of sense unless he is getting him at some type of market discount, which would be stupid on Gregory's part (unless he knows this is the best that he can do).

This smells like Holtz all over again. Any whisper of success and our AD's jizz their pants and offer prematurely offer an extention.

Edited by brybull1970
  • Crying 1

I like Gregory but this seems like something that does not need to be done for another few years.  Running a "great" program and having on-court success don't always happen together but they probably should be a little more evident in this case if you are gonna give him a large extension.  

I'm a fan and in his corner, but I do think its a year early unless at a great discount

Maybe it is an extension of years with more performance bonuses but not an increase in base salary. 

Kelly fired Strong - a year too late

There are zero AD's in the country that would have fired him after just 2 years. It was a dumb thread ..... but that's what message boards are for .... personal expression.

if he thinks our program is "great" then the bar for greatness has been significantly lowered.

Agree it was kind of a weird statement but I'm guessing it wasn't spoken in a complete vacuum and other comments surrounding it may have clarified a bit.

This smells like Holtz all over again

The similarities in the two situations are negligible at best ....