• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Now that we have time b4 next game

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

i would give him and grothe all the reps

winner is qb

screw grothe's redshirt

this is bigtime

You have some hard on for Grothe dont you He is redshirted and will remain so get over it

the rutgers game is vital and if grothe gives us a chance to win.it is no brainer

You have some hard on for Grothe dont you He is redshirted and will remain so get over it

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Why not try Denson for more than 1 series?  He's got the arm and he's got the mobility.  He should have most of the playbook down by now.  Aside from the first game jitters (let's see anybody do better their first college start in front of 100,000).  The first mistake and he's benched.    

Then we got to see him in some mop-up duty against FAMU and UCF, where he was pretty much handcuffed.

Then we see him put in under the gun against Miami and Pitt.  Each time he's given two to three very hard passes / reads.  He came in against Miami inside his own 8, and has two passes called back-to-back?  The first screw-up and he's benched again and PJ is brought back in off the bench.

What in the hell are the coaches thinking?

Not only does this not inspire confidence in Denson, but it pretty much kills any confidence Julmiste had.  I think there are many coachable errors on our offense, but how about some decent play-calling to help out the offense.  Succes breeds success, and until one of the QB's gets into a rhythm, the offense will appear to be stagnant.  

• Topic Count:  88
  • Content Count:  737

Honestly from what you have seen twilly what makes you think denson has a d-1a arm?

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

bullfreak-hard on for grothe

no i want usf to win a game on the road

i want usf to be in the best position to win

we need a qb now

Honestly from what you have seen twilly what makes you think denson has a d-1a arm?

-  He actually threw the ball in high school more that 15 times.

-  His throwing ability looked good in the summer.      

-  He won the starting job to begin the season, (and was summarily benched after his first mistake).  

I'm not saying Denson is the answer, but I'd like to see him given an honest shot to succeed.  Not much to ask from the play calling department.      

It's a pretty sure thing Pat doesn't have the consistent D1-A arm.  Even if he did, benching him and then re-inserting him at the most stressfull part of the ball game 2 weeks in a row, sure ain't gonna help his confidence.  

Are Rod Smith and Jim Leavitt that incompitent in play calling / game strategy?  I've been watching them for 6 years now and I have a lot more faith in them than that.    

Carlton Hill "Isn't ready yet".  

So what the heck is going on?  

It almost looks like we are sabotaging the QB spot to set up someone (GG?) for next year.  Isn't he related to one of the coaches?  

I'm not making the accusation,  and I don't believe the coaches would actually do something like that.  What I am saying is that it looks pretty crappy no mater how you percieve it.  

Guest S.  Bien

Denson was an amazing QB in HS.  He threw for 2000 yards, and rushed for nearly 1000 as a junior and senior.  He was better than Dennis Brown, easily as good as anything you've seen.

This is why I am worried about getting a commitment from Alwan Lee.  While I think Alwan has tremendous potential at any position, including QB, seeing how easily the coaches muffed up Denson, and I know Lee and Denson are like mirror images as QB's, and athletes, what confidence do I have that the staff will do any better with Lee?  If they can make Denson look this bad, imagine the wonders they'll do with Lee.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I wouldn't sacrifice Grothe's redshirt at this point... i want him to be our QB in 2008 and 2009 versus UF...  if he is destined to be a star here, i want him here as long as possible.  starting him now means less total games he'll play at USF.

Denson was an amazing QB in HS. ...seeing how easily the coaches muffed up Denson...

SBien,

I really think this is a committment thing and they're not really confident in Denson.  I don't think Denson is really confident in himself.  If you get a chance watch him walk in and out of the tunnel at pregame, half-time and afterward.  He looks lost and discouraged.  I've seen that look a hundred times on kids, and he's got it bad.  

I can't blame him for it with the situations he's been placed in, but it's a vicious cycle.  One party has to step up and fix this, by my reconing, this is the responibility of the coaches.  

Just give him a freakin' chance.

Would FSU have won a national championship (in `99) on the back of Chris Weinke if they had benched him (and rightfully so) after his 7 interceptions in his first game (in `98)?  

After that game the guy didn't throw another interception in 10+ games.  They built his confidence.  And he (like everyone) learned from his mistakes.

The trick is to pick someone decent and go with him, build his confidence.  Don't sabotage him by putting him under the gun, then axing him after he makes a mistake.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Apparently other programs don't mind pulling a redshirt if it's needed.....

Updated: Oct. 31, 2005, 1:03 AM ET

**** to replace Johnson vs. Gamecocks

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Casey ****, a freshman quarterback who's seen no action in Razorback games this year because he's been redshirted, will start for Arkansas against South Carolina on Saturday, coach Houston Nutt said

The red shirt is coming off, Nutt said Sunday, because **** has impressed his coaches with his passing in practices and has shown the skills to move the offense.

Robert Johnson started the first seven games for Arkansas this season. Nutt said he would take the blame for Johnson's struggles as signal-caller as the Razorbacks went 0-4 in the first half of their Southeastern Conference season, 2-5 overall.

"It's not that I'm saying it's Robert Johnson's fault," Nutt said. "Nothing could be further from the truth. Robert Johnson has done some good things for our program and he's still needed."

Nutt said **** deserves a chance to show if he can spark the Razorback offense.

As a senior at Allen High School in Texas, **** completed 133-of-248 passes for 14 touchdowns. He also rushed for 401 yards and eight touchdowns in his final high school year.

Nutt said **** has thrown against the Arkansas defense all season in practice "and has done very, very well."

"He has a strong arm and good instincts," Nutt said. "It's hard to explain. He just has 'it.' He just seems to have a knack for making some plays and we're going to give him an opportunity."

Hell, at 2-5  0-4 they have a lot less to play for than we do.