• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

ECU about to chop down some sports

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

You’re going to see two things at a lot of schools.

Sports cut. Severe regionalization. 

Why send women’s soccer to Missouri or wherever when we have so many teams in state.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

the state legislature needs to force fsu and florida to play more in state teams in all sports

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

15 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s a decent point. Even with good football attendance they are struggling. I heard that they over expanded Their athletic programs not too long ago. Acceptance rate to that place is 80%...I wonder if their enrollment dipped as well? 

This has always been my argument on why the AAC is the single worst position to find oneself in all of college athletics. We are the over developed house in the neighborhood or the $12k car with $30K in after market parts, which are always horrible investments that never payoff and cost the owners in the end. You cannot continue to pay coaches more than other G5 schools while trying to keep up with the P5 because the money you are bringing in looks a lot more like the G5 and is pennies on the dollar to the P5. We try to build palatial facilities and then pay for it with the hopes of a future that never comes. Eventually something has to give and Covid-19 is only giving people license to do things they should have done long ago but were afraid to act on. P6 was a cute enough slogan but the issue is some people in power appeared to believe we were actually keeping up with the P5 Jones' despite the fact that the balance sheets shows we were never close to doing so and even with the TV upgrade we just fell even further behind when the actual P5 negotiated their real increases. In short the AAC sucks, I hate it here as it's brick and we are drowning slowly off the coast and we are heading nowhere.

image.png.4a0fc2842b4a7bbadbc49f00ffbd86af.png

2 hours ago, smazza said:

the state legislature needs to force fsu and florida to play more in state teams in all sports

I hated it when UCF tried to do it with us, so I still hate the idea of trying to do it to others. We need to present them with something that makes sense for them to agree to and cannot simply force legislation because it is advantageous to us and a detriment to them (plus the majority of people in the legislature went to FSU and UF so they aren't going to act in our best interest over theirs). 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

41 minutes ago, puc86 said:

This has always been my argument on why the AAC is the single worst position to find oneself in all of college athletics. We are the over developed house in the neighborhood or the $12k car with $30K in after market parts, which are always horrible investments that never payoff and cost the owners in the end. You cannot continue to pay coaches more than other G5 schools while trying to keep up with the P5 because the money you are bringing in looks a lot more like the G5 and is pennies on the dollar to the P5. We try to build palatial facilities and then pay for it with the hopes of a future that never comes. Eventually something has to give and Covid-19 is only giving people license to do things they should have done long ago but were afraid to act on. P6 was a cute enough slogan but the issue is some people in power appeared to believe we were actually keeping up with the P5 Jones' despite the fact that the balance sheets shows we were never close to doing so and even with the TV upgrade we just fell even further behind when the actual P5 negotiated their real increases. In short the AAC sucks, I hate it here as it's brick and we are drowning slowly off the coast and we are heading nowhere.

image.png.4a0fc2842b4a7bbadbc49f00ffbd86af.png

So are you still in favor of us doing a Uconn and going independent? As this is our only other option. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So are you still in favor of us doing a Uconn and going independent? As this is our only other option. 

That would be suicide!

13 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am in favor of us doing something different than staying the same lose $5 million dollars a year while hemorrhaging fans course and expecting something different. If we just have to scale back our finances and embrace our current fanbase level than I guess so be it but if we want to a growth the market has spoken pretty clearly on the AAC and most of Tampa does not want it. Maybe a new coach changes things but if it doesn’t after a few years something has to give.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I am in favor of us doing something different than staying the same lose $5 million dollars a year while hemorrhaging fans course and expecting something different. If we just have to scale back our finances and embrace our current fanbase level than I guess so be it but if we want to a growth the market has spoken pretty clearly on the AAC and most of Tampa does not want it. Maybe a new coach changes things but if it doesn’t after a few years something has to give.

But in reality that is really our only two options: stay in the AAC or go Indy. I suspect there is another option of leaving the AAC and help in creating a best of the rest conference but no one seems to have the balls/leadership to give this a try.

9 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

That would be suicide!

It seemed to work just fine for most programs up until the 90’s and it seems to be working just fine for the majority of people that are currently doing it. Our current situation is suicidal based on finances and fan engagement if the argument is simply that it has a chance of making the suicide faster I am not exactly convinced that’s a good one. Home games  are not a good in and of themselves for us and if we had to play more 2 for 1’s in order to get more paydays and have more attractive home games, even if fewer doesn’t exactly sound like a negative to me. We can sell road warriors, we can sell come take on Goliath, but one thing we know that no one is buying is the AAC where you can maybe be the best team in the 6th best conference despite spending like drunken sailors. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,474
  • Days Won:  422

28 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

But in reality that is really our only two options: stay in the AAC or go Indy. I suspect there is another option of leaving the AAC and help in creating a best of the rest conference but no one seems to have the balls/leadership to give this a try.

Don't consider that an option and it's got nothing to do with someone not having the balls/leadership to give it a try. It's got everything to do with common sense and reality. It would just be a reshuffling of the midgets ....... and spreading further out, with the costs that would accompany it. Indy would be a lesser of those two evils.