• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

I wonder if the Big East would take us back ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The addition of UConn games is beneficial to CBS Sports Network as they get some football inventory to replace the anticipated loss of American games. The network will pay the Huskies around $500,000 per year to broadcast their home games, which will combine with the Big East’s TV deal to give them $4.5 million in media revenue per year. This total lags behind the approximate total of $7 million the American’s schools will receive. The production costs of ESPN+ are unlikely to cause that total to fall below the $4.5 million that UConn will make.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I think you have to define nonexistent...as of right now, other than 15,000 diehard fans we are kind of nonexistent. 

We have been ranked in the top 25, 3 out of the last 4 years and finished the year ranked as well in 2 of those years.  We exist and still hold relevance, UCONN football will disappear.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

We have been ranked in the top 25, 3 out of the last 4 years and finished the year ranked as well in 2 of those years.  We exist and still hold relevance, UCONN football will disappear.

That’s why I said define nonexistent. In terms of rankings you are correct. We are pretty good. Conversely, in terms of fan interest (Tampa and/or nationally)...I am not so sure. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

That’s why I said define nonexistent. In terms of rankings you are correct. We are pretty good. Conversely, in terms of fan interest (Tampa and/or nationally)...I am not so sure. 

🙄

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

There was once a time we were relevant and people cared then something happened, I can’t quite recall...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,217
  • Days Won:  422

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

There was once a time we were relevant and people cared then something happened, I can’t quite recall...

We were unceremoniously pushed away from the Big Boys Table ....

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

We were unceremoniously pushed away from the Big Boys Table ....

The decline started first, now I’m not saying it wouldn’t have happened eventually but ripping the heart and soul out of our program and replacing it with a marshmallow certainly didn’t help 

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

That be a definite no. We were brought into the Big East to replace what the conference lost in football prowess. Since the conference has ZERO football asprirations and is partly the reason why the conference split to begin with, we no longer fit the profile of a full member school for them:

• All Big East full members are private Catholic institutions with the exception of Butler (private) and UConn
  • We are no longer in their georgraphic footprint
  • We bring nothing to the conference from a basketball perspective

I'm sure C-USA would take us back and we mght even be competitive in most sports there.

I think you're underestimating the appeal of annual/biennial trips to the Sunshine State in the dead of winter ...

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

UConn's 2020 home opponents finished last year with an average Sagarin Rating of 134! The university has completely foresaken their football program all so they can relive their Big East glory years in basketball - the only problem is the conference they are going to isn't the Big East, it's a watered down version of what they remember. If they're looking for nostalgia Creighton, Xavier and Depaul aren't Syracuse, Lousiville and Notre Dame.

Per Sagarin, the "watered down" BE has been a P5 basketball conference since 2014, more often than not top 2 or 3, so it's not like they're heading to some schlepp hoops conference. UConn has "forsaken" football for basketball, which is a smart move on their part all things considered ...

19 minutes ago, puc86 said:

The decline started first, now I’m not saying it wouldn’t have happened eventually but ripping the heart and soul out of our program and replacing it with a marshmallow certainly didn’t help 

I don't think it helped or hurt. There's no case to be made that football success on the field was any kind of significant driver for inclusion back in those rounds of expansion ...