• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Florida Tech Eliminates Football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Guest Jonesy Bull

I too did not realize Florida Tech had a team, were they is the same conference with West Florida who won the D2 championship (sorry didn't read the whole thread)?  Too bad for them and all the other programs that are losing their various sports teams.  

Feels like some of these decisions are jumping the gun a little bit.  Its Mid May, and there is a lot that can happen between now and the Fall Academic season regarding this virus and treatments, etc.

14 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I too did not realize Florida Tech had a team, were they is the same conference with West Florida who won the D2 championship (sorry didn't read the whole thread)?  Too bad for them and all the other programs that are losing their various sports teams.  

Feels like some of these decisions are jumping the gun a little bit.  Its Mid May, and there is a lot that can happen between now and the Fall Academic season regarding this virus and treatments, etc.

For those universities that are dropping programs now they have always wanted them gone. They are using COVID-19 as an excuse. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

For those universities that are dropping programs now they have always wanted them gone. They are using COVID-19 as an excuse. 

Didn't think about that, but thats a good point.  I'm sure alot of these programs were putting a drain on the University finances even before all this madness.  So yeah, very plausible.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Didn't think about that, but thats a good point.  I'm sure alot of these programs were putting a drain on the University finances even before all this madness.  So yeah, very plausible.

There are only a few dozen football teams across all divisions that even approach breaking even. If you’re running a college football team at any level to make money, you probably believe building a new pro sports stadium is a sound financial investment, too.

6 minutes ago, JTrue said:

There are only a few dozen football teams across all divisions that even approach breaking even. If you’re running a college football team at any level to make money, you probably believe building a new pro sports stadium is a sound financial investment, too.

The only financial justification for most schools with a CFB team is exposure and alumni relations. Not sure if that even is justified. But god help me I will be depressed if there is no USF football. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
On 5/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, JTrue said:

It seems this is especially true for the smaller divisions.  It seems very likely that more D2 and FCS schools will be facing the same fate as Florida Tech before its all said and done.

Guest Jonesy Bull
On 5/17/2020 at 12:48 PM, JTrue said:

Absolutely not.  No way in hell should any Community be held hostage by a Professional Sports team to foot the bill for a Billion dollar stadium for Billion dollar owners.  

I love the Rays, but if that idiot owner doesn't pony up at the very least half the bill for a Stadium in Tampa, then don't let the door hit your a__ on the way out of town.

I actually didn't agree with the Bucs deal with the city/county.  They got a sweetheart deal and it was totally one sided and unfair to the Tax payers of Hillsborough County.  Although, I didn't want to see the Bucs leave, I think that is the last sweetheart deal any Pro sports team in Tampa will ever get again.

Edited by Jonesy Bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  144

I visited many times and enjoyed FIT back in the day. Fantastic beach nearby and just a great and fun school. great memories!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,677
  • Days Won:  108

On 5/21/2020 at 8:31 PM, MikeG said:

I visited many times and enjoyed FIT back in the day. Fantastic beach nearby and just a great and fun school. great memories!

How are you feeling Mike?  Full recovery from your battle a while back?