• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Civics and Such (move if you like)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

(this is an add on to my post a month or so ago about helping if anyone has kids doing online and you're struggling to find something educational and entertaining to do with them...it's also posted in the Trough, so if you decide to move this, delete if you need)

Since right now I'm teaching 7th grade early American history and a couple HCC classes, both at Dale Mabry and MacDill AFB, we've been doing some civics stuff. It obviously fits in with early American history for the younger guys, but civics is also part of the curriculum for college students and my class is one of a couple that satisfies their requirement. This is a game I make everyone play so they get a little bit of a handle on the Electoral College. Since some of you (not anyone in particular, but YOU means the general public) have no idea how this works, I thought I'd provide a link to the game I use. Also, if you're not familiar, iCivics is a bad ass organization who I'm lucky enough to work for. The gist of the organization is that it was founded by Sandra Day O'Connor:

To cultivate a new generation of students for thoughtful and active citizenship. Civic knowledge is a prerequisite for civic participation. Yet for decades, civic education had largely disappeared from school curricula and the repercussions are undeniable.

Anyways, it has a bunch of educational and fun games that I use all the time in my middle school AND college classes. Here is the one I use when I'm teaching how the election works (there are a ton of others and I suggest playing People's Pie and Do I Have a Right). I generally offer extra credit to anyone who can get themselves elected. That isn't going to work here, so how about any of you who win can post their total number of electoral votes and see how you stack up. My middle school record is 450 electoral votes. Can any of you beat a 7th grader? I know you don't have anything better to do right now.

https://www.icivics.org/games/win-white-house

(feel free to play on Elementary)

Edited by JTrue

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.53.49 PM.png

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  581
  • Content Count:  22,612
  • Days Won:  108

It is early and I'm just running through the 'pen but have to remember to come back to this.  

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I used this last year when I taught 7th grade civics because we do civics before Am history. Not sure why, I have yet to get a straight answer for, but anyways. It's pretty fun and enjoyable. I would sometimes play the games with my students who were finished with their assignments. Win the white house is fun, I think there's another one where you are the president that is pretty interesting too. 

• Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

HOW FUN and interesting

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

13 hours ago, JTrue said:

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 10.53.49 PM.png

The only real positive that I can see in this scenario would be that we as a country, for at least 4 years, would never have to worry about a toilet paper shortage ...

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The only real positive that I can see in this scenario would be that we as a country, for at least 4 years, would never have to worry about a toilet paper shortage ...

Is that not good enough?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,241
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, JTrue said:

Is that not good enough?

I mean it used to be one pretty much a given but in the world in which we live now? Probably.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  153
  • Days Won:  0

Not gonna lie, that was pretty fun. Sending it to a few of my PoliSci friends. 😂

40E971ED-1DCD-4A99-872E-2435BADFB8DE.png

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Is that not good enough?

You'd have my vote ...