• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

if there is no football money this year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,893
  • Content Count:  66,048
  • Days Won:  172

19 hours ago, jchem1995 said:

If there’s no football money this year, maybe you could float USF a loan.

it is even tight for me

my friends laugh and say the economy must really be bad

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Does anyone know if the conferences still receive TV money, or a portion of it, if there are no games to televise? I know the NFL has a deal with the networks that they still get paid from networks even if there are no games.

Assuming conferences don't receibe any money from networks, the P5 schools would likely take the biggest hit in terms of dollars, but not sure what it would look like from a % of revenue perspective compared to everyone else.

I can't help but think that this becomes the next catalyst to enable the P5 to break away from the NCAA.

Going to the AAC Conference board the belief is that none of the conferences get paid if games are not played...and the Feds are not going to bailout college athletics. Indeed, there are P5 schools who will be in big trouble as they have borrowed against future tv revenue. 

30 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Does anyone know if the conferences still receive TV money, or a portion of it, if there are no games to televise? I know the NFL has a deal with the networks that they still get paid from networks even if there are no games.

Assuming conferences don't receibe any money from networks, the P5 schools would likely take the biggest hit in terms of dollars, but not sure what it would look like from a % of revenue perspective compared to everyone else.

I can't help but think that this becomes the next catalyst to enable the P5 to break away from the NCAA.

the networks will sue to nfl. no way nfl gets to keep billions

there will be a ton of lawsuits if networks paid and didnt get their product

the sec will breakaway from p5 most likely

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,810
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, smazza said:

the networks will sue to nfl. no way nfl gets to keep billions

there will be a ton of lawsuits if networks paid and didnt get their product

the sec will breakaway from p5 most likely

Steve, I finally found something to agree with you on and then you muck it up by following it with an insane prediction, lawsuits yes however SEC breaking away is asinine, where are they going?

50 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Not sure how the networks could sue. It's in their contracts theat they still get paid even if there are no games. Plus, none of the networks want to kill the cash cow and get on the NFL's bad side by suing them. I'd expect a renogatiated deal or enforecement of the existing deal if not revised agreement could be reached.

Without looking at the contract and not being a contract attorney I would still think the reason why there are no games will be the avenue to challenge the decision.  When it comes to life and death or money, people will file a lawsuit against their own mother if their back is against the wall.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,197
  • Days Won:  42

8 hours ago, Friscobull said:

Steve, I finally found something to agree with you on and then you muck it up by following it with an insane prediction, lawsuits yes however SEC breaking away is asinine, where are they going?

Maybe they are gonna be the first ever Super Duper Conference! They will take Texas and Oklahoma and make their own universe!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Friscobull said:

frisco -becareful as you are close to elder abuse

college football isnt controlled by the ncaa but by each conference.The SEC is by far the best conference and they will be playing football this year.california schools will not be playing. the SEC will play their conference schedule .it may only be for this year.The SEC is the diamond of college football.

23 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Not sure how the networks could sue. It's in their contracts theat they still get paid even if there are no games. Plus, none of the networks want to kill the cash cow and get on the NFL's bad side by suing them. I'd expect a renogatiated deal or enforecement of the existing deal if not revised agreement could be reached.

has anyone actually seen the clause that says this? this makes no sense and i cant believe the networks would negotiate a contract where they pay if there are no games?

the network heads that ok'd such a contract will surely get fired

58 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

It's in the contract that was negotiated in 2018 and covers that all media rights payments are still due to the league in the event games are not paid due to lockout, strike or natural disaster.

A contract has a definitions page, not sure a pandemic would be defined in any of the 3 events you listed hence this is where there is ambiguity and an opportunity to void the contract if there are no games.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

On 4/27/2020 at 11:11 PM, Bull Daly said:

Gators Dockside just announced they are permanently closed down.  So we shall see 

Man, this just made me feel old. We have Gators here in orlando, so, I thought all were closing... then... clicked on an article that it was the Tampa location on fowler and closing after 17 years... I was racking my brain to try and remember where it was when I was in school only to realize that I have been out of there for a little longer than that. When I first saw it, I was like "no way, I don't remember them being there!"

I would have remembered, the local Gators Dockside was a hangout when I was in HS, so, it would have stuck out to me if opened while I was in school...

Anyway, on topic... For people saying the other sports aren't being played... there are still coaches getting paid, scholarships getting paid out, possibly more schollys coming if NCAA allows a 1-year change since they are adding eligibility for seniors. There's still going to be incoming freshmen that have been promised scholarships. There's quite a bit of money going out on all sports even when they aren't actively playing games. Will be interesting to see how things rebound.

How sweet it would be though if this took down ESPN and the P5 as a result of their cash cow being gone. One can dream right?