• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The coaching problem

Guest tulderbull

Guest tulderbull

Here is the problem Rod smith spend one year as a GA at West virginia. ONe season,  HE came Urbana or some no name place where he played qb.  how in the hell does that qualify him for this.  Hell let me take offense and I will do a better job, we all know the qb is not that good.  so why put him in a offense where you can not hide him.  you spread the field out and can not throw the ball worth a ****.  You dont have any combination routes to make the read very simple you dont really roll out any more.  You dont us any more to make the defense think a little make them adjust.  Hell how hard is it to line up with a personel package of 5 RB a TE and 2 WR spread them out as 5 wr then shift them back in and make the defense think just a little bit. How about a little power game then do a little play action once the safeties start coming up and throw over the top.  Why not run a play to set up another.  so **** predictable and no imagination.  Why not line Ca Hill up in the back field and let him run a little then throw a little then catch a little make the defense think a little instead of keep everyone in the box and stop andre.  hell when they keep six in the box and we only have 5 blockers that is not a good time to run the ball.  we might as well run the wish bone with the triple option and do some counters hey that right there is a better offensive game plan that you could ever dream of ROD.  JIM if you dont fire Rod smith you should be fired for letting everyone who likes and is a part of USF down.  And since pat isnt getting it done play a fresh isnt that what you say I'll play the younger guy if they are even Hell the water boy is even with julmiste. if rod cant develop a 4 star qb to take julmiste place by now sorry every C. HIll will never be any good and I say that only because he will get no coaching at all

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  118
  • Days Won:  0

Seriously, tulderbull, you would be a much more effective poster if you would learn to use a spell checker, punctuation, and paragraphs.

Guest S. Bien

it might not be easy on the eyes or ears to read, but the content is first rate and right on the money.

Smith's offense looks inexperienced.  It's no secret why Rich Rodriguez can do more with less and run the same offense.  Rich actually learned more along the way, and during Smith's summer of sin in Morgantown (about the extent of time he spent at WVU with RR) he didn't pick-up as much as we would have hoped.

What's worse is this isn't just offensive problems on the play calling, it's the system, it's personnel moves, and it's the fact he has no systematic play calling, i.e. the first moment this offense sees signs of adversity Smith abandon's his bread and butter and starts getting into a simplistic pass happy offense- go look at the box scores for Pitt, PSU and Miami.  If he spent a fall on Morgantown he might have stayed long enough for Rich Rodriguez's lesson on adapting and maintaining composure.  LIke when his team played UL this weekend, his QB play was bad (worse than PJ) 12-27 for 140 yards, yet he never adandon the run.  In fact they ran the ball 54 times in the game.  They were down 17-0 at half, and 24-10 to start the fourth and they kept running.  They even got create with flaring Slanton out to WR, and did a throw back, fake pass and he sprinted forward for 15 yards.  Also, he did quick traps up the gut, he was so fast that by the time the defense adjusted he was already into UL's secondary.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.  It's no secret that this is the same stuff we've been whining about since 2002.  Even in 2001 and 2002 many people cried about the offense and said it was MB, and Rubin that made enough improv plays to make this offense look better than it was.

Guess what, I finally agree.  Leavitt needs to hire a real OC, give him full reigns to hire and fire.  And someone that's seasoned and cagy.  It won't happen but it would be nice.

Guest tulderbull

Zoomer I will work on my post and spelling grammer and all of that.  I apologize.  I can adapt.  I can change styles,  I will go back re-read what I wrote and make adjustments.

Now I am not saying I am going to be perfect, but hey I listen to suggestion and will change. I now am commented to becoming a better writer on this board.  I just get so pissed off at how horrible our offense has been for so long and I have held it back for so long.  Please forgive me.  

Now back to Smith he sucks, plan and simple.  I could call a better game then him any day of the week expecially with the athletes on the field.  Why doesn't he find a unique way to get them the ball.  Instead of throw screen to a 6'5 receiver that has long strides why not stick C. Simpson in.  Get the ball to the playmakers.  Your a loser and your making all of us losers

Guest S.  Bien

I'll give you an easier system.  Run 5-7 yard outs all day long with those 2 receivers that are 6-5 and above.  Make defenders beat them in the air.  Once they choke up on the receivers then run one deep.  

We just abandon everything too early.  I remember with MB, the offense was antiquated but at least we relied on those three step drop, short outs, and ins that got us 4-7 yards a clip.  They were like an extensions of a running play.

I know PJ can execute those plays.  Why are we not doing them?  Bam, bam, bam, force them to stop it then change up.

Nope, it's more like let's try this, didn't work, ok we'll try this, didn't work, then this, not working, then this, oh no turnover, they score and we're down by a TD or more, "OK screw it everyone go out and PJ find someone open."  That's how I feel about this offense, if a big play doesn't happen then everyone freezes including the staff.  

What's wrong with being like TTech, or WVU and just methodically nickel and diming them.  Give PJ lots of high percentage opportunities, and keep at it, but be prepared that once they change you have another variant to blow by them.

As it stands right now this team on offense isn't particularly good at anything, running, passing, or variant gimmick stuff.  

• Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

Instead of throw screen to a 6'5 receiver that has long strides why not stick C. Simpson in.  Get the ball to the playmakers.  Your a loser and your making all of us losers

Tulderbull = C. Simpson?   ;D

Guest tulderbull

No not C. Simpson just making a point.  Throw the screen to a quick shifty receiver not a tall receiver with not  a lot of moves and a long stride.  

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

I'll give you an easier system.  Run 5-7 yard outs all day long with those 2 receivers that are 6-5 and above.  Make defenders beat them in the air.  Once they choke up on the receivers then run one deep.  

We just abandon everything too early.  I remember with MB, the offense was antiquated but at least we relied on those three step drop, short outs, and ins that got us 4-7 yards a clip.  They were like an extensions of a running play.

I know PJ can execute those plays.  Why are we not doing them?  Bam, bam, bam, force them to stop it then change up.

Nope, it's more like let's try this, didn't work, ok we'll try this, didn't work, then this, not working, then this, oh no turnover, they score and we're down by a TD or more, "OK screw it everyone go out and PJ find someone open."  That's how I feel about this offense, if a big play doesn't happen then everyone freezes including the staff.  

What's wrong with being like TTech, or WVU and just methodically nickel and diming them.  Give PJ lots of high percentage opportunities, and keep at it, but be prepared that once they change you have another variant to blow by them.

As it stands right now this team on offense isn't particularly good at anything, running, passing, or variant gimmick stuff.  

I agree with you heavily.  We have a legit running threat.  Teams will man up on us or blitz to leave openings.  I don't know how many people here have tried to defend a well-run out route one-on-one.  It's VERY hard to do.  What's more, if its jumped in that situation, an out and up can BURN that corner.  This is the type of thing we NEED to do, because it will not only open up the deep ball much better, but the running game as well.

Hell, PJ can always just run if they jump the out route and the checkdown is covered.  Antiquated though such playcalling may seem, it would give us enough balance to be competent-to-good on offense.

It's pretty simple, if you dont have a good QB, you don't sit the offense on his shoulders so much.  And if you dont have some simple out, slant, seam, etc. routes that are run off a 3 step drop in the playbook, you don't deserve to be OC.  There are times when EVERY team needs em...even NC contenders.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

it has been all so obvious for years

going back to ronnie banks