• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt: Carlton Hill NOT an option!

Guest bullistic930

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

This is probably asking waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy to much of Smith, BUT if Hill isn't ready simply because he doesn't know the playbook then adapt the playbook. I mean really, what the heck good is a playbook when you can't execute it anyway? Right now we have one and only one option and that is to hand off to Hall, I'm sure just about anyone on the team can do that. So put in Hill, and create a new book around him, simplify it (if it's possible to get more simple) or whatever but if Smith is getting paid to be the "mind" behind the offence then let him get to work and figure it out. Maybe he can pull a gruden and get his a$$ out of bed at 3am and put something together. It just seems our coaches are so inflexible that they'd rather stick to something that is obviously not working then to be a little creative and shake things up. I just love the comment from Leavitt about Hill not being an option.....way to go! Take away any incentive for the current QBs to improve.

I guess I fall mostly in your category 2. While I think PJ needs to take his fair share of the blame I think the lion's share needs to rest on the coaches. The coaches are failing these kids IMO. It is obvious they don't have the ability to coach the proper techniqes, to prepare kids mentally, to create a decent playbook or to call a decent game. PJ isn't a very good QB, but he is doing all that can be asked of him. It's the coaches job to make changes and they obviously refuse to try anything different because of their stubborness to abide by this sacred play book.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Carlton Hill is a good athlete, but he played for a VERY SMALL high school in RURAL Florida.  His opponents were lucky to have 50 boys on their whole team -- let alone top quality athletes.

This is why I think Grothe is our QB of the future.  His level of competition was so much higher than C4's.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Time to get off of PJs back. He should never be expected to carry this team. If the coaches didn't know this then that is where the problem lies. WVU is 6-1. They run the same offense. Here is the stat lines comparing PJ and WVU QBs for last weeks games.

PJ 18 - 35 222yds 1 TD 0 int

WVU 13 - 27 109yds 1 TD 0 int

Notice PJ had a better completion percentage, more yards per attempt, more total yards and an equal td-int ratio.

Maybe we shouldn't give up on the run so quickly. Their freshman RB had 31 carries compared to our senior top ten in the country RB who had 19.

They were getting it handed to them while we were never out of it early. Somehow they stuck to the run and we decided that it was time for desperation passes way to early.

If they can win with QB play below ours, a comparable D and an inexperienced RB  then why can't we. Simple. It is the coaches calling the plays. They give up on our strength which is running the ball and expect PJ to do something that everyone knows he can't!! Stupid.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

This is why I think Grothe is our QB of the future.  His level of competition was so much higher than C4's.

Honestly I have no idea who our QB of the future is...and I also don't know that any of our coaches have the ability to even groom a QB of the future. But just assuming they have some level of competence to coach (I'm giving a huge benefit of the doubt here) then they need to figure this answer out and get that person in. I hate the way we continually keep in bad QBs. IMO Banks should have been yanked one heck of a lot earlier then he did. When Julemiste didn't work out he should have been yanked and Gachette given a shot. Obviously Denson isn't the answer so try Hill. If Hill can't hack it put in Grothe....if he can't hack it put in the center, or the tackle or a linebacker or watergirl....heck keep yanking them until we find the kid who has the ability and composure to lead this team. And this argument about harming their confidence, throwing them into the fire is the best way to find out what they are made of. The kid that can come out better from it is the kid we are looking for, the others wouldn't be able to handle the preasure anyway so who cares if the confidence gets damaged?

Now on the flip side, we should have axed Smith instead of promoting him and brought in a decent OC and QB coach. Maybe then we could coach these kids into becoming a decent player instead of worrying about which QB would have such great natural ability that they could play well regardless of the coaching deficiencies.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

i'll be back soon, some people were offended by the fact that i didnt think pat julmiste was the messiah of college football.. talk about taking away someone's freedom of speech.

If you think you were put in Time Out just because you didn't think PJ was the messiah, you're due a refund from Emory University for your supposed education. If that WAS the case, the Penalty Box would be standing room only with a waiting list.

Guest tulderbull

I know everyone on here is so high on grothe, but he will never amount to anything as long as smith is here.  our only chance is he had great coaching in high school and he takes from that and does not listen to anything Smith teaches him, because whatever smith does teach it isn't working.  Sorry Matt your going to go down a long line of QBs that never did anything at USF.  Thanks Rod.  

The playbook sucks and if C. Hill cant do it by now he never will. I remember many on this board being so excited about him coming here.  Lets see he now plays receiver here and has other fresh playing more in front of him.  Grothe is going to start in front of him next year per everyone on this board.  So in my opinion he is a bust.  This was supposed to be our biggest recruit ever.  I am not down on C. Hill just the fact that we are not developing him as a QB.  

Let the **** kid play, I know how hard it is for a true fresh to play, Hell it is extremely hard for a 4 year jr in our program to run our pathetic offense.  Let him play and let him play now we will take our lumps but hopefully he will get better.

I would have thought Barnhart would have helped out he had good coaching let him teach the kids how to play qb at least he has done it.  I can not believe smith fat a$$ was ever worth a **** at QB

Guest S.  Bien

Dude Pat Julmiste, and Courtney Denson's level of HS competition was higher than Matt's times two!!!!

Drew Weatherford was lower than all of them.

It's talent you either have it or not, and you can either develop it or not.  The problem is someone can't develop it.  I remember Omar Jacobs coming out, Dustin Almond, these guys were not studs in HS and developed at their universities.  i don't have the same confidence they could do either here.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

sbien-what! a somewhat negative post!

finally

i actually feel bad for ca hill

we aren't treating him like our best recruit

• 11 months later...

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Carlton Hill is a good athlete, but he played for a VERY SMALL high school in RURAL Florida.  His opponents were lucky to have 50 boys on their whole team -- let alone top quality athletes.

Hey ET, I can do it too.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

grothe wouldnt be playing if pj didnt get hurt

leavitt doesnt know qbing