• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WVU to start Pat White at QB vs USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05290/589890.stm

Redshirt QB will start

Monday, October 17, 2005

By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

No matter how West Virginia quarterback Adam Bednarik's sprained right foot feels or heals by Saturday, redshirt freshman Pat White apparently will get his inaugural college start at South Florida.

"More than likely, it looks like Pat White's going to start regardless," Mountaineers coach Rich Rodriguez said yesterday. Bednarik "will be very limited throughout the week. It looks like he's going to miss a lot of work. We're not sure he can play (Saturday)."

Bednarik started each of the 20th-ranked Mountaineers' games this season and rotated to varying degrees with White. Bednarik sustained neck and shoulder injuries before his foot was sprained on the fourth play of the fourth quarter, with West Virginia trailing Louisville, 24-7, in a game that White won in relief, 46-44 in triple overtime. White completed 4 of 9 passes for 53 yards, rushed eight times for 64 yards and conjured a handful of critical plays on third and fourth downs, not to mention the winning points on a 2-point conversion pass to Dorrell Jalloh in the final overtime.

Louisville players and coaches contended that White found success because of his crisp legs against a stale defense. Said Rodriguez, "Obviously, whether he's fresh or not, he's pretty fast. He gives you another weapon."

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  21

I'm not a big fan of the 2 QB system, but this is definitely one of the advantages. White has gotten plenty of action in high-pressure situations, so there won't be any dropoff in production. In fact, if I had to take one over the other I'd take White. He's faster and throws just as well as Bednarik, IMO. I like Bednarik's toughness, but for whatever reason the team just seems to respond better when White is in the game.

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401

White is the best weapon in the BE. I'd take hime over Brohm at QB myself. He had his way with the vaunted Vtech defense when they played. He will be the best player we've faced this year in my opinion.

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

wv has a redshirt freshman ready

that is the difference between a good and a bad coach

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

wv has a redshirt freshman ready

that is the difference between a good and a bad coach

This is his first start, you don't know if he's, "ready" yet.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

USF will DESTROY WVU...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,729
  • Content Count:  37,561
  • Days Won:  29

will grote be that guy next year as the RS fm QB?

GrothE ... well, we ALL are hoping so.

Guest S.  Bien

GrothE ... well, we ALL are hoping so.

Don't be the Dungy Bucs pinning all the success and failure of our offense on one player.  If the OC hasn't figured out his strengthes and weaknesses by now and adapted to them then he never will.

No one will come out firing for 300 yard per game.  Don't make this year's freshman next year's Ron Powlus.  It's not up to a 19 year old to save us, it's up to a staff to show us they can adapt, and be creative on the schemes and play calling.